Pointless topic is pointless.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointless topic is pointless.
No, just speaking from experience.

Seriously, you can have more fun in a standard 306 than a standard run-of-the-mill MX5.

They are incredibly over-rated. The only way you get them to be 'amazing' in the handling department is to modify them. Fortunately you can do that relatively cheaply.

Of course the other way to do it is to buy one of the limited edition models which already has all the key ingredients fitted from the factory...

Unlike the one the OP has, which is - I repeat - not as good to drive as a standard 306. Or 106. Or 205.

Wallowy ride, wishy-washy, in-precise handling, a fair amount of understeer.

People just read what they like about them with no first-hand experience and often end up in the camp of "it's RWD therefore it's better'.

No, it ain't.

Is a BMW 318i Compact better than a GTi6? No, it ain't.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Just like to point out dude, I've driven 6-7 MX5s and I've never known one that wanted to understeer. They are a little soft but that body roll helps you get the back end out and lets them ride the bumps well on a rough country road...

Just out of interest, have you driven one besides the one you had?

As for standard 306s handling better, '93 XRDT with ancient dampers, stilt-spec suspension and ancient budget tyres, a 3-wheeled MX5 could handle better lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Huuuurrrr...

This is fun. Didn't anybody notice the Tongue at the end of the sentence?

I agree with Liam. It handles far better than my 15yr old 306 XLdt with knackered dampers and a cambered rear beam. lol

Maybe I'll change the title of this thread to TROLLOLOLOLOLOL
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I test-drove 4 before buying mine, had a drive of a mates' 1.6 too (but decided on the 1.8) and have driven my aunts' MK2 anniversary model too! So erm, yeah a few mx5s...

The beauty of an MX5 is their simplicity, but they are not the be-all-and-end-all of motoring and I will always argue the toss with anyone who claims that they are.

A standard MX5 is just a bit 'pants'. They lack the power / torque to overwhelm the rear wheels and when they do it's just going to spin one up?

If I still had the MX5 the next mod was definitely F/I. Probably turbo, because the superchargers were too common and not as 'mental'. The handling mods were extensive though, rolling on Gaz Gold pro's, front upper strut brace and a rear half-cage and rear upper strut brace combined with a geometry setup. Did it drift? No it didn't drift! No standard MX5 will 'drift' if it has decent tyres and it's not p*ssing down with rain.

It would 'slide'. Don't get the two confused though....
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Meh.

I'll be over at mx5nutz.
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good community, Nutz. Lots of knowledge.

Should be able to pick up a s/h LSD and maybe some chassis strengthening from the classifieds ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 02:12 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: I test-drove 4 before buying mine, had a drive of a mates' 1.6 too (but decided on the 1.8) and have driven my aunts' MK2 anniversary model too! So erm, yeah a few mx5s...

The beauty of an MX5 is their simplicity, but they are not the be-all-and-end-all of motoring and I will always argue the toss with anyone who claims that they are.

A standard MX5 is just a bit 'pants'. They lack the power / torque to overwhelm the rear wheels and when they do it's just going to spin one up?

If I still had the MX5 the next mod was definitely F/I. Probably turbo, because the superchargers were too common and not as 'mental'. The handling mods were extensive though, rolling on Gaz Gold pro's, front upper strut brace and a rear half-cage and rear upper strut brace combined with a geometry setup. Did it drift? No it didn't drift! No standard MX5 will 'drift' if it has decent tyres and it's not p*ssing down with rain.

It would 'slide'. Don't get the two confused though....

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one mate. I think you want different things from cars than I do, I'm not really bothered about power or grip, just a fun drive which the MX5 is near unbeatable for. I'd be surprised if you couldn't spin the wheels though...

I've never had any problem breaking traction in a standard MX5 though, I'd be happy to give you some lessons? lol
Thanks given by:
Care to explain how you made it break traction in your experience?

As they grip like sh*t to a blanket, which is what they were designed to do. Unless its pissing it down or you give it a lot of lift then it won't willingly break its own traction buddy, not in a million years! Maybe it would on bald tyres though. In my experience at least it would only play ball in the wet and even then you sometimes had to kick the clutch.

I suspect you are mistaking power sliding with drifting, though? Anyone can boot an mx5 from standing and give it an armful of lock, but it's hardly breaking its own traction, I can wheelspin in a Picanto - it doesn't mean that I'm overwhelming the tyres with powaaaa though!
Thanks given by:
i have to say c.a.r is right, a standard mx5 isn't a drift car. I have an mx5 s special with miester coilovers and its great to drive, but i cant drift it, i can only attempt it on really wet ground or on my garden hehe
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 04:58 PM)Fozzy Wrote: i have to say c.a.r is right, a standard mx5 isn't a drift car. I have an mx5 s special with miester coilovers and its great to drive, but i cant drift it, i can only attempt it on really wet ground or on my garden hehe

Thats because you drive like a pussy.
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 04:38 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Care to explain how you made it break traction in your experience?

As they grip like sh*t to a blanket, which is what they were designed to do. Unless its pissing it down or you give it a lot of lift then it won't willingly break its own traction buddy, not in a million years! Maybe it would on bald tyres though. In my experience at least it would only play ball in the wet and even then you sometimes had to kick the clutch.

I suspect you are mistaking power sliding with drifting, though? Anyone can boot an mx5 from standing and give it an armful of lock, but it's hardly breaking its own traction, I can wheelspin in a Picanto - it doesn't mean that I'm overwhelming the tyres with powaaaa though!

Hit a tight roundabout at 40, chuck it in hard and lift off, as soon as you get at all sideways boot it, you'll get a decent drift. Now you can't powerslide them but we were talking about drifting no? Even the drifters get that one mixed up, what they do is powersliding really Wink

Now it won't do that without the original narrow tyres and some body roll...
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 05:08 PM)maz-306-xs Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 04:58 PM)Fozzy Wrote: i have to say c.a.r is right, a standard mx5 isn't a drift car. I have an mx5 s special with miester coilovers and its great to drive, but i cant drift it, i can only attempt it on really wet ground or on my garden hehe

Thats because you drive like a pussy.

Thanks dude i can always count on you for great input Itwasntme
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If I go round a roundabout in the 306 too fast and lift then it will oversteer like a bitch, where's the difference?

If you find a greasy roundabout in an mx5, you can give it an armful of lock and encourage oversteer and counter it, but it's hardly a tyre-shredding affair! Even kicking the clutch is more likely to just send you into a spin (and any mx5 owner who claims never to have spun out too far is either lying or not trying hard enough lol)

I'm not denying that they are fun to drive at all, they make you feel very alert and thy are very rewarding to punt down a fast B-road. But this 'idea' that they are steer-from-the-rear sportscars which drive everywhere sideways simply ain't true. Fozzy, have you got an LSD in the S Special? Have you tried engine braking in the wet?

That can seriously catch you out!
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 08:21 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: If I go round a roundabout in the 306 too fast and lift then it will oversteer like a bitch, where's the difference?

If you find a greasy roundabout in an mx5, you can give it an armful of lock and encourage oversteer and counter it, but it's hardly a tyre-shredding affair! Even kicking the clutch is more likely to just send you into a spin (and any mx5 owner who claims never to have spun out too far is either lying or not trying hard enough lol)

I'm not denying that they are fun to drive at all, they make you feel very alert and thy are very rewarding to punt down a fast B-road. But this 'idea' that they are steer-from-the-rear sportscars which drive everywhere sideways simply ain't true. Fozzy, have you got an LSD in the S Special? Have you tried engine braking in the wet?

That can seriously catch you out!

Read back through my posts. When did I say they were the ultimate drift car? Or that they steered from the rear? I said they are a very enjoyable car to drive, and like all RWD cars are more keen to understeer than oversteer. I also said that they aren't all about grip and cornering speed...

You missed my point entirely.
Thanks given by: