Dash Clocks Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dash Clocks Help
Can anyone assist me in telling me where the dash clocks get their earth from?

During my conversion to low boost I seem to have ended up with my clocks stuck at the following position - permanently. They don't spike here when the ignition comes on, they just sit here full stop. They were working fine beforehand (I installed the P3 front end and checked it)

[Image: IMAG0370.jpg]

Only thing I can think that i've disturbed is I took a few earths off in the engine bay to clean the area for painting, but I thought I put everything back where I found it. Confused

Strange thing is the car runs fine but none of the gauges read out.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Iirc that's a calibration problem. Take the dials out and unplug both plugs, leave a minute and plug back in and hopefully they will click back down to rest.
If not, earth is behind the throttle pedal.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks I shall try to do that. Just looking for ideas when i get back home as i don't want this one dragging on. Smile
Thanks given by:
Ok I've tried unplugging the clocks and no joy.

Took the kill switch out of the equation as it was misbehaving, double checked all my engine bay earths and improved a few of them but found nothing disconnected. I now have all the lights functioning, but still no signs of like from oil gauge, speedo, tacho and fuel gauge. Temp gauge moves with the ignition on but obviously as the car is cold it doesn't move very far.

Asked cjm_harris if he wouldn't mind loaning me his clocks as I can't work out what could be causing it.

Can't understand what would've fried them, they were working fine before engine change and now they won't play ball.

Edit: thinking out loud there are two things that are different to when I last saw them working. One, i've changed the engine and disturbed everything in the bay, two - i've changed the ecu to an unlocked one with the supercharger map on it. Wonder if the temp gauge has a direct feed but the rest go to ECU first... where's that map of the wiring..
Thanks given by:
Definitely running off of a good battery though yea?

Certainly a strange one..
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Battery fully charged and starts fine. Bosch silver job. Trying to borrow a mates clusteras can't think of anything. Removed the shunt fuse but no joy.
Thanks given by:
Ok I don't really get this problem at all. Have tried the old ECU and no joy, tried a different set of clocks and they are exactly the same.

Anyone care to help me work out where the various clock wires go through? I can make some sort of attempt at following the problem then. I've had the car running remember but with this issue from the clocks.

I need to get this sorted now as there isn't much left to do on the car. Sad

Found a thread on 6 owners where smegal had the exact same issue and he solved his with the shunt fuse. I've had mine out with no joy - is there some sort of knack? Only mine didn't seem to affect anything other than the central locking. I wonder if there is a bad earth somewhere, like one that's split in two.

I also have to time clock/temperature readout. Sad
Thanks given by:
Sounds to me like a fried fuse or your getting some sort of feedback thru he system have you checked the fuse for the clock/temp readout
Thanks given by:
I've had all the interior fuses out today and each of them was intact. It can only really be a duff earth somewhere. It had been misbehaving on the kill switch so i can but go over all my wiring again tomorrow, though to be fair it was mostly plug and play.
Thanks given by:
Is there a relay for the clocks that could have blown hope you get it sorted buddy
Thanks given by:
Can anyone with access to autodata please help me with the relevant wiring diagrams? Sad
Thanks given by:
Just outa pure interest maybe of some help when I got my Car on Tuesday it hadn't been started for 6 weeks when fired up she sat with the needles like that for a min or two even though idling normally she's a non turbo diesel btw
Thanks given by:
I changed the two main earths out on the negative terminal this morning and still to no avail. Can;t understand it and quite frankly am reaching the end of my tether with these shitty french electrics. Dodgy
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dash clocks dec-66 36 7,331 13-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Last Post: KilianManning
  Dash clocks resetting? Frosty 14 3,166 14-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cheapo
  dash clocks! gurj306 23 6,913 30-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Last Post: gurj306