turbo/supercharging

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbo/supercharging
Would anyone be able to tell me what would be involved in turbo/supercharging a 1.6 and the budget needed, I know I could get a gti6 if I just wanted more power but I want it to eventually be a weekend toy
[Image: Pugsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nospeak

a lot of research and reading my friend!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
welder + hammer and you're away
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
most wont divulge information on the subject. personally id got to 106moaners or saxperience and look at the turbo charged vtr/s and 106 gtis. pretty much the same engine.
give the guys there a couple of pms.

(06-08-2012, 09:32 PM)ginge191 Wrote: a lot of research and reading my friend!

also known as pm's from ruan?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 09:35 PM)Matt Wrote: also known as pm's from ruan?

In all honesty, no, he's gave a few "pointers", for example there was no one to tell me where to get some uprated valves? but most has come from:

[Image: bmAIj.png]

which has been collated over the past 4 months'ish now
Thanks given by:
hahahaha assembly lube
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 09:42 PM)Matt Wrote: hahahaha assembly lube

out of the entire tab you find the lube Makeup

but yeh, on topic, plenty of people willing to answer questions and point you in the right direction, but not many will write you a guide.
Thanks given by:
Go steal a Eaton m45 :-) then employ kernow's tactic
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
depends how long you want your motor to last too... my friend bolted a T25 onto his VTR, and it would eat anything, and he just upped his fuel pressure to compensate... the block only lasted about 6 months because of 10lb of boost though... the pistons and top end seemed to hold up well against the varied AFR surprisingly, it was the bottom end that shat itself purely due to the power he was running. It may be running today if he was stuck with 5 or 7 lb. Dont be afraid of trying things Smile 1.6 blocks can be picked up off the bay for peanuts!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just quickly, Ginge, why are you uprating valves.... A standard J4RS head will do 500hp with the correct timing Wink

But anyway, yeah, depending on how you want to do it and what lengths you want to go to... It can be done uber cheap, old T25 welded to the standard manifold... Rising rate FPR, cheap power...

I'd personally go down the 5th injector route, you can get a 5th injector controller for literally naff all, in honesty, if you sat down you could make one yourself, it's proper easy... Either get a standard throttle body and shove it in there, or bolt it into the manifold.... I do wonder if you could bodge an SPI throttle body to fit and get something to control that...

Can be done proper cheap, but you'll usually find that people don't want to do it on the pikey, it ends up costing thousands because they can't be bothered to fix it every 30 seconds, because it was done on the uber bodge.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 09:41 AM)Ruan Wrote: Just quickly, Ginge, why are you uprating valves.... A standard J4RS head will do 500hp with the correct timing Wink

Becuase the head i'm getting hold off has a couple of bent valves; and the cost for uprated pieces are near identicle to new one's from pug. Seems a safe bet, that's all Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
It's just the ballache with having to have extra piston protrusion, make sure they aren't going to contact with overlap...

IMHO anyway.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 09:41 AM)Ruan Wrote: I do wonder if you could bodge an SPI throttle body to fit and get something to control that...

Probably, it's got the regulator built in ready too, only issue is they're only ~36/38mm bore and the injector is very low impedance for driving.
Thanks given by:
Not sure on the actual 'charging side of things myself....but I do know you're gonna have to uprate a lot of other things, mainly clutch, gearbox, headgasket (the usual weak TU parts) plus brakes and stuff too. Just something to bear in mind if you're trying to work out the budget. Smile
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 01:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Not sure on the actual 'charging side of things myself....but I do know you're gonna have to uprate a lot of other things, mainly clutch, gearbox, headgasket (the usual weak TU parts) plus brakes and stuff too. Just something to bear in mind if you're trying to work out the budget. Smile

interesting... my turbo project im not upgrading the box, clutch OR headgasket (as such) and using standard brake setup.

...lets see what happens ey Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
You're using a 1.8 aren't you Ginge?

If not.....then the TU's can barely handle their standard power, let alone shoving more through them! Unless you're Ripp and can make lots of strong shiny bits anyway. Tongue
Thanks given by:
The TU boxes are completely different to the 1.8 boxes though IIRC, they do a conversion kit to BE boxes though
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^ yup, MA box on the 106's and saxos. Pretty sure it's the same on the 306 1.6 and below as well. The MA boxes will take a reasonable amount of punishment as long as they aren't subjected to wheelspinning or ridiculous torque loadings. The clutch will probably need uprating though. I also know of someone who turbo'd the 1.5D (TUD5 lump). Apparently it went very well but it would ra*e the clutch in higher gears.
Thanks given by:
Yep you're right, 1.4/1.6 306 also use the MA 'box..........can't even handle 70k's worth of 75bhp in my experience so wouldn't like to be using one on anything with more power lol. The diff seems to be especailly weak on them tbh.

As for the clutch, the standard TU one has really thin/weak spring bits (cant remember thier name) on the clutch cover which definitely don't take take well to full throttle starts, know a few people that have snapped these, even on 1.1s!
Thanks given by:
106GTis seem to be OK with standard power... It's only when you put 1.1 boxes on GTis that they have an issue - the "sport" boxes are usually fine... Just use a 106 GTi box.
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 01:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Unless you're Ripp and can make lots of strong shiny bits anyway. Tongue

Yeah, I did that with the last gearbox, then the diff exploded and took it all out....Undecided
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 02:31 PM)Ruan Wrote: 106GTis seem to be OK with standard power... It's only when you put 1.1 boxes on GTis that they have an issue - the "sport" boxes are usually fine... Just use a 106 GTi box.

I did wonder if a GTi/VTS 'box would've been a better option when I was changing mine, as they seem to be stronger, ratios are very different though apparently which is why I kept to the standard lol, kinda wish I'd tried out a different one now though.

(07-08-2012, 02:37 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 01:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Unless you're Ripp and can make lots of strong shiny bits anyway. Tongue

Yeah, I did that with the last gearbox, then the diff exploded and took it all out....Undecided

Oh dear! Undecided Should've made a shiny diff too...... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
It was a Quaiffe!
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 03:33 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: It was a Quaiffe!

That cheap shite? Confused Shoulda made your own. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Be warned, the 106 GTI box has unbelievably low ratios, 4200rpm at 70mph :o
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
WUT lol i thought the 6' was bad
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Weirdly enough though on the way to Cornwall I still managed 47mpg....
Thanks given by:
You SURE that was an original GTi box and not a 1.1 box? I know the 1.1 box is a really common "upgrade" or mod done to them, 4200rpm is excessively high at 70!!!

VTR box is stupidly long, I know that...
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 05:04 PM)Ruan Wrote: You SURE that was an original GTi box and not a 1.1 box? I know the 1.1 box is a really common "upgrade" or mod done to them, 4200rpm is excessively high at 70!!!

VTR box is stupidly long, I know that...

Yeah mate, been in a few and they've all been like that...
Thanks given by:
my saxo has done 140000 miles on her original gearbox and that runs with no problems Popcorn
Thanks given by: