HDI 5th into DT box?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI 5th into DT box?
Anyone done this and is it possible with the DT box been slightly shorter but have a longer 5th for cruising? Am I right in thinking the 5th is under the end cover so easy to swap
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Gear sets are all the same, its just the final drive that changes....so pointless even bothering....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Ok. So can you actually just change the final drive onto the DT box? Reason I ask if I would be fitting my HDI box to the Dturbo but I can only do this once its fully fitted and I can go without a car for afew weekends. Would it not make the swap much easier of is there a reason people change the whole box?

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Its not a 20 second job to strip the gearbox down and change it no....
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Just swap the box, each gear is longer due to the final drive.

Much easier
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
How will it make it easier Kyle...............instead of removing the dt box and fitting the HDi one you will have to remove th DT box, strip the HDi box, Strip the DT box, swap one part (that is the only thing different pretty much) and then rebuild and fit the DT box (which is now just a HDi box anyway) back onto the car, sounds like a whole lot of faff for nothing to me mate!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I was assuming the 5th gear was just under the end cap so easily accessible. Point taken

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 04:21 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Gear sets are all the same, its just the final drive that changes....so pointless even bothering....

(30-07-2012, 07:45 PM)Anton Wrote: Just swap the box, each gear is longer due to the final drive.

Much easier

just wondering . . . . . . .so which is it then? . . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
We said the same thing lol. Just said differently
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
its not just the final drive that needs changed, you must change the pinion gear too, for a max of 4 hours work just change the complete box
Thanks given by:
The final drive is the pinion, and the diff, it involves totally splitting the box to do, its a real farse, and totally pointless in this situation given you can buy boxs with that setup for 50 quid a pop...

Changing the diff takes 30 seconds, but wont get you anywhere...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 09:12 PM)Anton Wrote: We said the same thing lol. Just said differently

oh right it's just how you said each gear is longer . . . Confused
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Each gear is longer due to having a different final drive, I said it as in imagine you are driving.

Confused it even more probably lol.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 09:31 PM)Anton Wrote: Each gear is longer due to having a different final drive, I said it as in imagine you are driving.

Confused it even more probably lol.

Huh . . . .yes in a word . .Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Each gear according to the output of the box is longer...

The gears internally are the same, but when you put them through the final drive, it makes the wheels turn faster in all gears for the same RPM...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(31-07-2012, 11:32 AM)Ruan Wrote: Each gear according to the output of the box is longer...

The gears internally are the same, but when you put them through the final drive, it makes the wheels turn faster in all gears for the same RPM...

thanks . . .got it . .Smile
Thanks given by: