Gti6 box oil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti6 box oil
2.1 litres right?
KrisB did a clutch change for me 2 weeks ago (very good job as well) and over the last few days I've developed a whine. I gave kris 2L of original pug oil to put in. I know this was fine on my old box but I think I've either not go enough in there or lost some (no oily patches though)
Either that or my box is on the way out! Good excuse for a custom box if you ask me!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
id say box is on the way out
ive only ever put 2l in my 'box and even with engine oil, never developed a whine.

straight cut? Big Grin
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Straight cut!
Weird thing is its only when I'm creating in traffic at say 10mph and let off the throttle so I gradually slow down. Any faster, it's fine, any other gear it's fine. If it was a constant whine in a certain gear I could understand it (saying that, my old 106 did over 10k on a whiny 3rd gear with constant abuse and no box oil and it was fine! Could just be it should be like that but it's got a different grade of oil?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
It needs more than 2litres on the six box. When i filled mine there was a second nut I took off and you keep filling until it starts to over flow from that point when the cars on level ground.

Thanks given by:
Ah fair enough. Might go to put and buy another litre tomorrow then and see if that solves it.
Box feels absolutely fine. No crunching or grinding. Much nicer with a clutch that actually works!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Make sure it's proper Peugeot Total 75-80 BV stuff... Anything else and they seem to whine....

And 2.1l AFAIK yes.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 02:14 PM)Ruan Wrote: Make sure it's proper Peugeot Total 75-80 BV stuff... Anything else and they seem to whine....

And 2.1l AFAIK yes.

Yeah it was pug oil. Will buy some more and top up I suppose.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Hi Niall,

My gti has developed a whine... what was the outcome of your issue?
Thanks given by:
Sure it's not Ginge?
Thanks given by:
It's still whining like ed whines about his bloody car. But nothing's happened yet. No gears leaving the box or crunchy gears so assume its just a noisy release bearing (although a odd noise for one to make)

(03-01-2013, 01:50 PM)Curt Wrote: Sure it's not Ginge?

Or that. That's highly likely.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Curt: I might check under the bonnet Wink

Niall: Hmm... I might have to look into this (I say I, I mean others)... I don't like the sound. I havent driven it for a while and over the space of 2 days it did about 400 miles and developed the whine. I came upstairs and searched for 'whiney gti' then found this thread; I'll check the oil later.
Thanks given by:
Just replace it. For the sake of 12 quid, gotta be worth it. Make sure you buy proper genuine pug stuff/ total BV
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Will do.

Thanks Niall
Thanks given by:
Box's are quite good on these, they work even with 1/2l of oil in without any issues, It's enough to get thrown around inside which is what matter's.
Whine's normally would be thrust bearing, box's even with 250k on work well
Thanks given by:
Yeah ive only ever heard of 2 failures and they were both diffs on 1.8 boxes. But still, they are fussy to what oil you use!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by: