Turbo Shaft Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo Shaft Question
Hi guys just looking at buying a bargain turbo online but the seller has in the description "has the usual shaft play" now its a TD04L 15g iirc these have a 360* thrust bearring correct? but im unsure if they are supposed to have any shaft play as ive only looked at a rebuilt one which had no play at all, and a mate told me the oil bearring takes up the play when in motion

Can anyone help please

Cheers guys

hes saying 1mm or 2mm play is this acceptable???
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not entirely sure but I've always thought slight play up and down is alright as its taken up by a film of oil
As for the turbo itself I'm interested. It being a 15. What's room like down there. Also the g? What trim is that?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
iirc journal bearings have some form of slight play. side side minimal is ok in and out no no
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
The td04 has a 270* thrust bearing and iirc a small amountnof in out play is acceptable but side to side is no good as the wheel can catch against the housing.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
The shaft on my td04 has literally no movement.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Iv got two brand new turbos here, they both have shaft play side to side, there supposed to be like that as when its under oil pressure the shaft floats
Thanks given by:
I have always been under the impression that there should be a little play but not rocking side to side
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
IN/OUT play is bad, literally any play and its not looking good. SIDE/SIDE + UP/DOWN is okay aslong as its only a little bit.

1mm of side to side is too much imo, but maybe thats just him having poor judgement? Because its quite hard to measure by just wiggling it with the tips of your fingers.
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys well i got it for 40 quidder and was very intreagued as to the spec as havent come across a TD04L 15g on here and couldnt see it onna thread woth a comparrison chart

On doing a bit of searching i came across this 4waydiablo

TD04L-15G-6CM²• CFM: 405 CFM• Compressor Wheel: 15G• Max HP Rating: 450 HP• Turbine Wheel: TD04L

15G turbos generate approximately 405-450 CFM (cubic feet per minute) versus stock 9b turbos which generate only205 CFM

This doesnt really mean much to me to be totally honest but i managed to send a 12t back which the guy wanted 100 claiming to have had it rebuild took apart to check it n it was f*cked n the reciept was nothing like place aledged to have done the work cos i rang them to check invoice so he got a good telling and didnt get any money or his turbo back haha

Should be interesting as like i said havent come across a 15g on a TD04L yet on here anyway

And the guy got back to me.saying up and down movement to a max of 1mm he got a second opinion for me off a mechanic friend so lets hope its a bargain and works ok
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2012, 09:54 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Cheers guys well i got it for 40 quidder and was very intreagued as to the spec as havent come across a TD04L 15g on here and couldnt see it onna thread woth a comparrison chart

On doing a bit of searching i came across this 4waydiablo

TD04L-15G-6CM²• CFM: 405 CFM• Compressor Wheel: 15G• Max HP Rating: 450 HP• Turbine Wheel: TD04L

15G turbos generate approximately 405-450 CFM (cubic feet per minute) versus stock 9b turbos which generate only205 CFM

This doesnt really mean much to me to be totally honest but i managed to send a 12t back which the guy wanted 100 claiming to have had it rebuild took apart to check it n it was f*cked n the reciept was nothing like place aledged to have done the work cos i rang them to check invoice so he got a good telling and didnt get any money or his turbo back haha

Should be interesting as like i said havent come across a 15g on a TD04L yet on here anyway

And the guy got back to me.saying up and down movement to a max of 1mm he got a second opinion for me off a mechanic friend so lets hope its a bargain and works ok

Spot on, if you payed via PayPal for the dud turbo just claim through PayPal. Your covered.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt feel comfortable pushing a turbo with 1mm up and down movement... especially to the level of boost required to make these dervs fast...
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Spot on, if you payed via PayPal for the dud turbo just claim through PayPal. Your covered.
[/quote]

Nooo the dud turbo was of someone i know in oldham he got told and he gave me turbo to see if it would fit but when started stripping found problems so he got a nice phonecall lol

I know what your saying Dave but tbh ive bought it now so will soon find out and everyone has different opinions so probably a daft thread from me lol, but think general idea is minimal play is ok so am going with that and if it goes what the heck got spares and it was 40quid lol
Thanks given by:
If it goes... It'll destroy the turbo...

[Image: 560928_10150917779657703_406578897_n.jpg]

Like that I found in my intercooler (that's the nut that holds the compressor on, snapped off...)
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2012, 07:42 AM)Ruan Wrote: If it goes... It'll destroy the turbo...

[Image: 560928_10150917779657703_406578897_n.jpg]

Like that I found in my intercooler (that's the nut that holds the compressor on, snapped off...)

aww cant see the pic but can imagine, can always get it sent off to be checked while i get the adaptors made up Smile

I understand what people are saying but only time will tell, as havent seen it myself yet then can tell whether its a steal or another dud Smile

Will keep you posted
Thanks given by:
if its dry then most of the slop will clear up with oil though...
Thanks given by:
ahhh can see the piccy at home now Ruan thats not good :S what turbo was that?

Yeah its dry Dave any idead what bearring type these are ? well the guys been on its book for collection monday hes found a carrier for 7.50 so in total its cost me 50 quid as give him a tenner for the sake of £2.50 as he didnt list to deliver lol
Thanks given by:
That was my GT20V...

Popped another one lol...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ahh i see, well ive changed the gasket and seems to be a lot better now still need fine tuning etc and think its just wastegate opening now but going to try and slit the allen key to wind in abit more as prev owner rounded it off :S and then try get more boost as hitting 24psi but backing off and no boost leaks
Thanks given by:
24psi should be more than enough to make it haul like hell...

If it's making 24psi I would bet you it's not being able to burn the fuel given to it, there's something else wrong... It should be about 130hp at around that boost if it's running right....

Remember, boost doesn't equal power, mine made 175hp atf with 21psi of boost...
Thanks given by:
I understand that Ruan its wierd it has good and bad days, just trying to get to the bottom sometimes it will boost slightly more and clean but sometimes it wont boost as much and smoke loads, dont get me wrong i rekon it is about the 130bhp mark but tbh i just want more lol im more interested in the torque but that will be another thread soon enough when i have rods to match a diff crank Smile until then trial and error till i get her to run right then it will be setting up all over again with fine tuning the td04 lol
Thanks given by:
Well the K14 decided to pop yesterday oops lol, and that had no play whatsoever when i changed the manifold gasket saturday,

Just deciding whether to put the T2 on for pod or go in mrs punto
Thanks given by:
That lasted haha
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 12:40 PM)tomw1123 Wrote: That lasted haha

It didnt quite agree with 29/30psi haha oops
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 02:09 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote:
(30-07-2012, 12:40 PM)tomw1123 Wrote: That lasted haha

It didnt quite agree with 29/30psi haha oops

Well Ruans K14 lasted well over a year at 29psi................so go figure!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I had my T2 at 30psi for fookin ages, sold it to someone, and they had it on for another 6 months boosting the same. and then they sold it again to someone on here, I checked it over and there was no shaft play.... EGT's seriously kills them, as long as they're clean they should be fine... i've never blown a turbo as long as its clean on boost...
Thanks given by:
Thats all i can thing of High Egts :S will have TD04 plated up ready for getting back from santa pod so just need to get an oil line made up then can fit mon/tues and tune pump to suit,

Just a quicky, the max fuel screw on my bosch is very stiff top turn to change it is it just a case of unscrewing out of the pump and screwing another in ??

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Well just an update for anyone wondering about this, the turbo did have about half a mm to 1mm in and out play and also half a mm up and has been on a few months now and has been great holds 30psi all day long,

I also took it to RE-performance next door to my work and they said That the TD04L do tend to have minimal play and they checked my turbo and also my spare TD04L which also has slight play and said they will be fine, they have a lot of experience with the TD04L's and rate them very highly

Just wanted to clear the matter up if anyone was wondering about the TD04L
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2012, 09:02 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Well just an update for anyone wondering about this, the turbo did have about half a mm to 1mm in and out play and also half a mm up and has been on a few months now and has been great holds 30psi all day long,

I also took it to RE-performance next door to my work and they said That the TD04L do tend to have minimal play and they checked my turbo and also my spare TD04L which also has slight play and said they will be fine, they have a lot of experience with the TD04L's and rate them very highly

Just wanted to clear the matter up if anyone was wondering about the TD04L

Thats helped me now im looking at td04's Smile Dont suppose you know if the td04 13 something is anygood? Cant remember if it was G or T Confused
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
The 13t is a cracking turbo mate theres plent of people using them on here Smile
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2012, 09:58 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: The 13t is a cracking turbo mate theres plent of people using them on here Smile

Well im going to buy it then Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kkk turbo question Saloon306 1 942 10-06-2016, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Turbo question carlukepeugeot 2 1,016 03-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Last Post: carlukepeugeot
  A question about turbo noises. Tom 39 9,088 22-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Tom