GTI-6 Tuning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTI-6 Tuning
Thinking about getting a GTI-6 engine and box for my Dimma. Im just wondering what is the general consensus on tuning them.

I have NO interest in turboing or supercharging my car at all. Having huge horsepower isnt really what im looking for.

N/A reving and sound is key and id like to get over the 200bhp and close to 220bhp. From what I have heard the engine isnt all that tunable and is quite hard to get the extra BHP from.

Is there any point in looking into a GTI180 setup??

Im obviously looking at Jenvey TB's but what else is recommended/involved in getting what i want.

Thoughts please...
Thanks given by:
i think cams, throttle bodies, manifold back exhaust system, gas flowed head/port matched and mapping to suit the mods might be your best bet, im just going on the usual tuning for nasp petrol engines.

from what i hear, youd need to get recessed pistons because of the small valve clearance to run aggressive cams.
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2012, 09:59 AM)BlackSix Wrote: i think cams, throttle bodies, manifold back exhaust system, gas flowed head/port matched and mapping to suit the mods might be your best bet, im just going on the usual tuning for nasp petrol engines.

from what i hear, youd need to get recessed pistons because of the small valve clearance to run aggressive cams.

^ This.

If you run throttle bodies on a gti6 engine you will only see about 180-190bhp. You need some lairier cams to take advantage of the bodies, and to run lairier cams you need some extra valve clearance. You can get the standard pistons pocketed, or get some nice forged items, depending on how deep your pockets are.

Cams, TB's, some head work and an off the shelf maniflow manifold should see about 230bhp.
Chris
1999 China GTi6 Supercharged track car
2000 Bianca LX non turbo slowness

Team: I hate Sam Rowell's stanceboard!
Thanks given by:
I've seen 201bhp from cams alone on a rallye engine...

You'll get 200-220bhp with bodies cams stand-alone management and proper mapping by a reputable mapper.

There's a bloke on here TSOD who was running around 210-220 with bike carbs and cams and a ported polished head...

Tbh I like where you're going with this, it's defs the right engine noise to have in a Dimma, just like the old Maxis!!
Just make sure you do your research, and get advice from the right mapper and engine builders.

It's also pretty expensive if you go the jenveys route, might be worth it if you get some bike carbs and cut down a stock manifold yourself... just an idea...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Cheers Ed - thats the exact reason for going the NA route - that glorious Maxi sound. Okay it wont be anywhere near as raw but it will be nice all the same.

A guy called Stephen Gault here in Northern Ireland is very well known for his work on Peugeot engines and i remember him chatting about working on a XU 306 rally car producing over the 200bhp mark. So id be more than happy to go with him on this engine build.

Thanks for the input guys - appreciate it Smile

Again any point looking at GTI180 setup?
Thanks given by:
180's are shit mate i wouldnt bother, the injection systems on them are complete crap my cousin had one and he had no end of engine trouble with it over the 4 years he had it

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
IMHO - the 180 is a GOOD engine, shame the same cannot be said for the management.

If you put it on standalone management that can cope with VVT, it's a VERY capable engine.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
What ruan says, even the 135 version will make 190ish with cams and boddies, and maybe exhaust mainfold. And then there's no vvt to deal with.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Lighter weight, stronger engine, better head design, blah.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
I take it they also don't have the cambelt issues?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not that I'm aware of.
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2012, 09:37 AM)Chris Wrote: What ruan says, even the 135 version will make 190ish with cams and boddies, and maybe exhaust mainfold. And then there's no vvt to deal with.

You mean the xsi??? ninja
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

[Image: Untitled.png]
Thanks given by:
No, the 135 bhp version of the ew10 engine that was fitted to the 206 gti and loads of newer pug and citroens.
The xsi's are 136bhp anyway :p
Thanks given by:
Ahhhh balls Dodgy Got me thinking.... I have access to some bike throttle bodies. Wonder if it's possible on the xsi?

Thanks given by:
The XSi head isn't bad at all in honesty, the throttle body and manifolds are wank though.. So bodies and a decent exhaust mani would probably help a lot...

But unless you put it on standalone management and have it properly mapped, you're wasting your time - which is where most people seem to fall down.
Thanks given by:
Gti mani and megasquirt? Smile

And what about slightly more aggressive cams? Or are the original ones good enough?

Thanks given by:
Popcorn
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I've been doing a bit of research on this.... So far only seen it done to 6's. No Xsi's. I dont see why it wouldn't work though. I can get some R1 throttle bodies easily, hack up a 6' inlet mani, just need to do a bit more reading up on Megasquirt and all the other gubbins needed. Altenatively, it can be done on a tighter budget, using all the original sensors, and the original ECU providing you have access to a half decent workshop. You would have to have it RR'ed and mapped properly like Ruan says. Good to know it's possible though Big Grin

Thanks given by:
anythings possible man. im getting Matt's old xsi engine to strip down and have a play with, see whats what and what can be improved and what not.
long term plans are for a '6 engine tho, easier to build power from a base with more standard power anyway. bigger valves, etc etc

Thanks given by:
(20-07-2012, 01:10 PM)samass Wrote: anythings possible man. im getting Matt's old xsi engine to strip down and have a play with, see whats what and what can be improved and what not.
long term plans are for a '6 engine tho, easier to build power from a base with more standard power anyway. bigger valves, etc etc

Good point... I'm assuming the bottom end is the same for the 4JR and the 4JRS? So a head swap would bring some extra power to start with then....

Thanks given by:
(20-07-2012, 02:17 PM)Skank_army Wrote:
(20-07-2012, 01:10 PM)samass Wrote: anythings possible man. im getting Matt's old xsi engine to strip down and have a play with, see whats what and what can be improved and what not.

Good point... I'm assuming the bottom end is the same for the 4JR and the 4JRS? So a head swap would bring some extra power to start with then....
don't think so. Think there different stroke lengths. Sure Ruan will come along to confirm.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I thought they were the same, both 83mm (or is it 86?) either way, im pretty sure they are both square, but there may be some difference in the piston/rod design....
Might be wrong tho.

Thanks given by:
There definitely not square. The 1.8 is a square engine at 83x83. Gti and I'm assuming xsi are over square
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hmm. How bout that then. Learn a new thing everyday....

Thanks given by: