Hdi or gti shocks on xud dt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi or gti shocks on xud dt?
Im looking at lowering my dt, iv settled on a 30-40 drop at most, but undecided what to get for the front end i dont want a boneshaker, or a floater (excuse the term) so should i buy some new 1.9 shocks with lowering springs or go for possibly hdi or gti shocks with springs? Any idea if that would be ok or would the weight difference in the engines affect it too much?
I cant justify a set of coilovers as its a daily driver so dont want to be spending silly money on it.
Any suggestions?
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
how much are you spending on suspension?

For my money the best -40mm lowering kit if you want to retain the ride is BilsteinB8's and eibach -40mm springs. Be prepared to spend nearer £400 for a full set though. Which puts you about £35 short of a set of GHA coilovers. Which imo are bloody impressive. I can't directly compare them against the b8's, but everyone on the '6 forum harks on about them being amazing too...

If you're not going for a more driver-orientated car, in which case you'll want it to be firmer, I wouldn't even bother with new shocks if you're only fitting lowering springs, unless your existing ones are definitely buggered...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
depending on what your going for. id suggest just wacking some gti shocks on if your on a budget. done it on my dt and it made a hell of a difference to the handling IMO still maintains a fairly decent ride. compared to coilovers any way

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Cool, thanks for the info 400 on front suspension is the same as what i spent on my car so bit out of the question, can say im a cheapskate lol but definately on a budget, i wont be racing it or doing any track days, so thats why im thinking of gti or hdi shocks coupled with some lowering springs just to make it a little firmer.

It needs body work too so once iv got it all nice n shiny and running how i like i 'might' fmic and billie suspension but for now gotta sort out the knocks and noises Sad

Next question.... Anyone got any gti shocks and dt lowering springs? :p
Thanks given by:
Get onto the gti forum and keep a look out for standard dampers, they tend to swap for aftermarket so theres a few sets about, I got my full set for £20 in pretty good condition.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Do standard Dt spring on gti shocks alter the ride height or not i read some where that gti shocks are 20mm shorter? Confused
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2012, 04:08 PM)Parksy87 Wrote: Do standard Dt spring on gti shocks alter the ride height or not i read some where that gti shocks are 20mm shorter? Confused

No it wont, the shock has spare tarvel up so it would never pull the spring down, Also If you really want uprate the handling on a budget, put gti ARBs front and rear, i payed £20 for the front and £15 for the rear and that makes a bigger difference than any springs and shocks will

Thanks given by:
Ok cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
Well rear beam is beginning to camber any who, so how about gti, xsi or hdi rear beam, gti shocks and front arb with dturbo 30/40 mm springs?
Thanks given by:
The gti or xsara vts rear beam will be the best Smile
Thanks given by:
Thicker rear ARB will make the biggest difference, especially if you go aftermarket.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2012, 06:35 PM)Parksy87 Wrote: Well rear beam is beginning to camber any who, so how about gti, xsi or hdi rear beam, gti shocks and front arb with dturbo 30/40 mm springs?

Yes if thats the case this wil be your best/cost effective rout to take

Thanks given by:
I have a gti6 front arb for sale currently... :whistles:
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
How many beer tokens is that delivered though as im in birmingham
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't put Dturbo shockers on, they're shit.

I had GTi6 shockers and 40mm lowering springs on my 1st Dturbo with a GTi6 rear beam and front ARB, made a huge difference, very good budget setup IMO...
Thanks given by:
Thicker front ARB will tend to push more into understeer, but will keep the arse in check....

Stock poverty spec ARB ftw...

*Waits for Rippthrough with no ARB*
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: