NO EXHAUST......ok?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NO EXHAUST......ok?
How much harm will it do if I completely removed the exhaust off my hdi? Seen people do it and was seeing if its ok to take it and drive. Cat back removed i was thinking.
Thanks given by:
Drvien from leeds to southampton with no backbox on with no issues, only thing I can think of is if you're sat idleing the hot gases might melt any plastics/wires above it but that'd be worse case I think like if you were sat there 10 mins with a hot engine
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I think its illegal not to have an exhaust!

I drove around for a week or so with no exhaust from the turbo with no problems.......sounded cool, until it shat its oil everywhere, pretty sure it was totally unrelated though lol.
Thanks given by:
Was thinking that myself mate. My friend is thinking of ripping it off later and asked me to get some feedback before he does it. I had my backbox off for 6 months and not probs aswel.

Ha ha turbo on it's way out or something?
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 08:17 AM)ANTB1986 Wrote: Ha ha turbo on it's way out or something?

Erm, ya could say that! lmao Replaced it now though, and done a decat while I was there. Just one box now and sounds alright. Smile
Thanks given by:
I will tell him to just do it then lol
Thanks given by:
It won't do any harm but you will be down on power and it will fill the cab with fumes when you are sat. Does dounds awesome tho
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
How much pier will it loose do you know?
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't lose any power, it's not a petrol...

It'll sound awesome, fill the cabin with gasses if you have a leaky boot floor like most 306s do... I've driven for months before now with no exhaust, they're pretty quiet unless you've got your foot down anyway, much quieter than a Petrol equivalent anyway.

But it is illegal, yes...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't make a difference to power, it will on a petrol because they need back pressure but on a diesel you just want to get the gases out as fast as possible so if anything it will have a touch more power...

Never driven a diesel with no exhaust, but I once had a ride in a gen 3 Camaro 350ci with no exhaust...

I came slightly lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
How will the gases go inthe boot if their ain't gna be an exhaust on it as I'm talking about cat back, remove the hole exhaust not just the backbox
Thanks given by:
cuz theyll get sucked up in and around the car as you're driving along, the air get very turbulent and as the gases arent getting stuck right out the back, you'll get fumes in the cabin.
even when i had no back box on my 106 i got fumes inside, and on my 306, where the exhaust kinda just points at the bumper, instead of underneath it, i get fumes when sitting still with the engine running
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 08:50 AM)ANTB1986 Wrote: How much pier will it loose do you know?

lots... i removed mine and lost about 95% of Brighton pier

[Image: 800px-England_-_Brighton_-_West_Pier_1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 09:16 AM)ANTB1986 Wrote: How will the gases go inthe boot if their ain't gna be an exhaust on it as I'm talking about cat back, remove the hole exhaust not just the backbox

It's because of the aerodynamics. Air passing under the car will draw the fumes straight up against the floor, and if you have any holes, cracks or gaps in the floor the fumes will be pushed straight up into them and into the cabin. Most 306's have leaky boot floors, so that's most likely what will happen. Ever notice when it's pissing down you always end up with filth all over the back of your car? That's road grime being pulled along the floorpan then shooting straight up as soon as it passed the rear bumper Wink
Thanks given by:
Fill the boot holes? Lol
Thanks given by:
side exit?

Thanks given by:
So will it lose power and undercoat the under of the car? I will tell him to drive with the windows open lol
Thanks given by:
I've been in a Td without a back box (fell off on motorway), and I was a passenger in the back and it was getting horrible within a minute and we needed to have windows wide open to not feel sick etc.

People in front have their vents and stuff so it doesn't seem as bad there Big Grin

So yeah, illegal for a good reason, you could end up killing yourself or passengers with carbon monoxide poisoning or possibly co2 asphyxiation... oh dear Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 09:18 AM)samass Wrote: cuz theyll get sucked up in and around the car as you're driving along, the air get very turbulent and as the gases arent getting stuck right out the back, you'll get fumes in the cabin.

ninja
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
*this also happens when your fire ring is FUBAR...

Thanks given by:
Both mine and sams hdi stage 1 and 2 def lack power with no exhaust on so does make some difference

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Mine goes like absolute f*ck with no exhaust, it's more laggy and hasn't got as much off boost torque...

On boost it's much more violent with no exhaust...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 02:25 PM)Ruan Wrote: Mine goes like absolute f*ck with no exhaust, it's more laggy and hasn't got as much off boost torque...

On boost it's much more violent with no exhaust...

Would a decat give those same things?? I've been blaming the bigger turbo for my comlplete lack of low end torque and extra lagginess..........wondering if it was the decat that done it now though, as they were put on the same time. Confused I was under the impression diesels didnt need any back pressure though....or is it due to the turbo that doesnt need backpressure, so offboost it does need some??? Undecided
Thanks given by:
Optimum exhaust length for a diesel turbo is 18 inches IIRC
Stack out the bonnet yO?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine struggled in top half of the revs where it usually pulls well uto the limit it was just breathless once on boost

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
When my backbox fell off doing 80 on the m1 I put off having a new one for as long as possible as the sound was pretty epic... Didn't Affect my performance or fuel economy
“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 05:52 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Optimum exhaust length for a diesel turbo is 18 inches IIRC
Stack out the bonnet yO?

As long as you don't mind not being able to see where your going off boost lol
Thanks given by:
The optimum length for a turbocharged engine is straight out the turbine wheel...

There's no pulse tuning or resonance to scavenge the cylinders of their gasses past the turbine wheel.. Before the turbine wheel if you have equal length runners you might see a slight gain, but obviously the turbine wheel is what causes the back pressure...

It's really a myth that an engine needs backpressure to make *power*... It needs the least amount of backpressure to make it's *PEAK* power - wherever that is in the RPM band, but as always with engines, it's a compromise, you want the backpressure there to prevent the valve overlap from sending half the mixture out the exhaust at low RPMs to keep up the midrange torque, but unrestrictive enough at high RPMs to allow the valve overlap to keep gas velocity up to let inertia keep pulling the gasses out the cylinders after TDC combined with the pulse tuning of the exhaust.

When gasses exit past the valve, their velocity is very high, the higher the engine speed, the more the velocity of the gas goes up... When you send a gas very quick through an orifice, even after you stop the force that caused the gas to want to exit the cylinder (the piston returning back up the bore...) it'll want to pull some extra gas with it - the inertia effect...
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2012, 09:49 AM)samass Wrote: *this also happens when your fire ring is FUBAR...

I now know the fire ring is still decent; the back box had come off along time ago and leaking into the cabin; we must have broken it when we changed the turbo
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
How about a standard/sports exhaust for low rpms then when you start reaching higher rpm a valve/port opens near turbo that vents out the increased gasses and then closes when foot is off throttle

All theological though
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by: