Cheap coilovers or better shocks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap coilovers or better shocks?
SO i've been rocking about in my DT for a few months now on a 60mm drop all round, with standard shocks.
Its a nice height and on flat roads drives well, but when theres bumps its pretty bouncy. And i'm thinking better shocks would help with this?
Obviously want to spend as little as possible... but is it better to get cheapo ebay coilovers or uprated shocks with my drop springs?

Im talking cheap like this: LINK

Or get some, (bilstein?), shocks?

The only other car ive got/had coilies on is my mk2 golf gti and I got them dirt cheap as the standard suspension was shagged, so that obviously improved it no end and couldnt really compare to true standard setup?

Thoughts? Also, dont want to spend a fortune as its only a cheap to work and back (in style) car :-p

Sorry if this is the billionth time this question has been asked!
Thanks given by:
if you want cheap, and upgraded, try get hold of a second hand pair of gti ones, or, ive heard that hdi ones give better ride comfort. however, they wont last tooo long on a 60mm drop, but for cheap second hand ones, nevermind.
if its a daily, cheap coilies can be crashy as fook, and im guessing you wont want to spend proper money on proper coilies.

what sorta budget you looking at?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
couple of hundred tops. It takes a good battering up some country tracks, which is bouncy as hell at times... i guess maybe its best to keep going on the standard shocks until the give in and replace as I need to?
Thanks given by:
If you want to improve ride I'd say uprate the shocks. Cheap coilies are pretty much good for 2 things; lows and adjust-ability. But they won't be comfy!
Thanks given by:
If you already have 60mm springs and you dont want to go any lower get some decent shocks
Thanks given by:
for a couple of hundred, get some decent uprated shocks.
youd get mid range coilies for that, but they wouldn't be very comfy.

if it bounces around alot already, chances are they need doing. mine do, its almost like i've no damping at all. im just getting second hand gti dampers, costing me about 30 quid

Thanks given by:
ok thanks for the advice. I know its probably a dumb question, but are all the GTi shocks better?
Thanks given by:
if they arent shagged, yeah. they're stiffer than other standard shocks. iirc anyway

Thanks given by:
how about, say, the Pi lowering shocks?
Thanks given by:
dont know to be honest. bilstien are a good bet. b6's or b8s

Thanks given by:
forgive my lack of knowledge, but whats the difference between b6 and b8? Most ebay jobbies seem to be b4... but I dont know what that means
Thanks given by:
from what i gather, its how 'good' they are. ie; the B4s are a slight upgrade on the standard gti ones, then the B6s and upgrade on that, then the B8s an upgrade on that.#
what the actual differences are im not sure, but i believe they get stiffer as the numbers increase. therefore, better road holding, but infierior comfort levels.

Thanks given by:
I think I wanna try a right in someone's car with blisten shocks on so I can compare to my coils. I love the hardness round bends and things but round my area it's like council forgot about us we have shit loads of potholes so feels shit on them. But smooth road they're awesome.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
according to the ebay ads the bilstien b4s are 20% better than gti shocks. not sure how accurate that is or how they measure it but I guess they are saying they are significantly better lol

are they worth the dollar tho? it seems about 100 quid ish up front and 60 ish at the rear
Thanks given by:
personally, i dont know, i've been in/driven a car with them, but i know a lot of people rate bilstien B6s/B8s with eibach pro kit springs as one of the best ways to transform the handling of the car. and i know that a '6 on standard supension already handles REALLY well, i was in Scott's after fcs, and it really can corner well.
and they are well built from what i've heard, they should last a while

Thanks given by:
Well that's the same price as cheap coilies and should give you better ride, and better handling than standard shocks. Which is what you're after isn't it?
Thanks given by:
but they also have the gti6 ARB which should help too...?

(13-07-2012, 11:30 PM)Curt Wrote: Well that's the same price as cheap coilies and should give you better ride, and better handling than standard shocks. Which is what you're after isn't it?

Yep, just thinking maybe for now would be better to use my old shocks to death as they are worthless to sell on, and could do fronts first (if they go first) or vice versa to spread the cost haha
Thanks given by:
As far as i know
B4's are a step up, just plain standard gas dampers, little firmer than stock.
B6's are the sports version, monotube technology.
B8's are B6's but shorter
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2012, 11:32 PM)R45_ODV Wrote: As far as i know
B4's are a step up, just plain standard gas dampers, little firmer than stock.
B6's are the sports version, monotube technology.
B8's are B6's but shorter

I dont suppose anyone knows where to get some 6s or 8s? as ebay doesnt seem to be the place for them haha
Thanks given by:
Try the bilstein website mate then look for dealers in ur area Smile
Thanks given by:
try demon tweeks. wont be cheap tho. iirc ~250

but yeah, gti arb too, but you can pick them up cheapish if you wanted

Thanks given by:
I have a set of b4s with standard 6 springs that i got off ebay for £40 posted and they are like new. I will be puting my lowering springs on them as my currens shocks dont look that clean Smile

Also the b6 and b8 are yellow Smile

Not sure if this is just rear or full set but have a look Smile
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewite...0305365030

Could even be for just one shock lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coilovers/Springs/Shocks Esmyth124 6 2,402 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: MY95
  TA Coilovers vs GTi6 Shocks & 60mm Springs silverzx 10 2,436 15-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Last Post: puglove
  thoughts on coilovers and shocks and springs mattyh24hdi 24 5,040 22-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Last Post: anto