upper engine mount querie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upper engine mount querie
Hey all just wondering about a mod. I see its pretty common for people to shim out the top rubbers on the upper left hand engine mount. My quaetion is what have you guys used? And if any, are there any negative consequenses to shimming it virtually solid?

Cambelt is being done later today so just thought id get as much info on it as i can. Thanks
Thanks given by:
Look in my project thread my engine mount cradle has cracked. I am going to weld in 2 metal shims to stop the movement and hopefully prevent it from cracking again in the future after it is repaired Big Grin

also negatives would be excess vibrations especialy if you fit a solid lower engine mount Smile
Thanks given by:
Dum Dums cabby has group n mounts and was shimmed, was much movement over standard. Although I did only test at idle lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I have bakerbm mounts and i get vibrations. The shims will stop alot of movement and stiffen the top mount up alot Smile
Thanks given by:
Iv shimmed my group N mount. I used a bit of quarry convaier belt. Thick hard rubber

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I was going to use the sole of an old boot haha. So nothing adverse about using it like that long term?
Thanks given by:
It is better for the threaded mount im the long term.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Nice one cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
This is what's gonna be done to the Rallye at some point soon, the sides have been pushed out far too much that i need a 10mm plate welded in! Sad
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I just used ally strip bolted in at the top.
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2013, 06:53 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I just used ally strip bolted in at the top.

I was also wondering about bolting such a thing in.. Undecided
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
My engine mount is clicking when i let off the power and when the engine is started,Is this quite a common problem on these? Engine is the 1.8 16v
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2013, 05:54 PM)Jimmy306 Wrote: My engine mount is clicking when i let off the power and when the engine is started,Is this quite a common problem on these? Engine is the 1.8 16v

Sounds to me like the cradle that the mount bolts into has broken. Will need to be welded but its a small job for any good welders Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2013, 07:00 PM)Niall Wrote:
(21-04-2013, 05:54 PM)Jimmy306 Wrote: My engine mount is clicking when i let off the power and when the engine is started,Is this quite a common problem on these? Engine is the 1.8 16v

Sounds to me like the cradle that the mount bolts into has broken. Will need to be welded but its a small job for any good welders Smile

Thanks. Is it just steel then? Not cast?
Thanks given by:
I believe its just steel. It you take the top mount bracket off (jack under the engine to hold it up!), you can knock the top mount out (its just a standard thread. Just use a chisel and hammer to knock it round) then take it out and see if its cracked. If so, you need a plate welding in.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Brill. Thanks for your help! Didnt think the 1.8 had the power to do that lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top engine mount Mighty306 6 3,117 12-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Last Post: cully
  Bottom engine mount fork bush DeeTurbo 5 1,607 08-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  Lower engine mount Niall 12 2,104 22-10-2014, 10:14 PM