how to test 306 rear axle?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to test 306 rear axle?
hi, first post on here, im going to look at a 2000 306 hdi with 107k on the clock. it has been lowered for 6 months now but only has 4 months mot left and i was wondering how i can check the condition of the rear axle so i can avoid spending big money on it before mot. is there anything to look out for suspension wise thats common?

cheers
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ask him how it was lowered as there are two methods, one good way and the bad way.

Also look out for camber on the rear wheels, probably the main giveaway if the rear beam is kaput
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
whats the bad way?lol. i mean what are the chances of it failing the mot on the rear axle? does it have to be really bad? theres no camber in the pics i think. no other giveaways?
Thanks given by:
the proper way you actually remove the torsion bar and turn it, then put back in.

The other method is just smashing the trailing arm out.

And im not entirely sure on MOT testing and regulations unfortunately, sorry Sad but im sure someone on here will help Smile
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Mine passed with a fooked beam and some epic camber!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
basically im worried about spending top dollar on the motor if its gona fail epically and cost me a bomb to fix. whats the options when axle does go? and is there any other suspension stuff thats expensive?
Thanks given by:
Yeah like Matt says ^^ as a general rule its something they never really seem to notice as there is nothing they test that would show it up Smile

But the best way to check is to look at the car from behind when parked on a flat road and see if the rear wheels are cambered in at the top or not...........
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
i guessing it would be okay having only been lowered for half a year. car is 1700 with 107k but has had a full respray. overpriced?
Thanks given by:
does sound a little over priced tbf but get some pics up if ya can mate and lets have a look.Itwasntme
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As Kingy says get some pics up. Cars does seem rather high priced.

What engine? Spec? Any modifications?
Thanks given by:

car was only modified 7 months ago from standard but no serv history

2.0 hdi standard engine bar ss exhaust
Thanks given by:
No service history, 107k, and modified. I'd say offer 1200. With no service history Personaly id be staying clear, although it does look awesome Big Grin
Thanks given by:
looks awsome that does. as matt says mate you dont wanna be paying the asking price its to high. you could get a standered one where you know its all good and service history and have money left over to lower it for the price he's asking.
totaly up to you but from what ive read your not 100% convinced so my advice would be to at leaste have a look else where. plenty around if thats your budget.
Thanks given by:
ahh no chance of getting it that low, its advertised for more than 17!! Dodgy but anyway yeah i thought it was too dear, even though over here in NI prices are higher
Thanks given by:
you can have mine for a grand. 1.6. low millage been in the family since new.
Thanks given by:
Was going to say that that looks like a NI price to me, having seen your last post I guess that is the case,

If its similarly priced to others of the same age/condition over there then I would say that its about right TBH as it looks pretty tidy in reality Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
ahh i need a derv! lol. would consider an XUD but would prefer HDI tbh. a 2001 would be handy for the cheap tax but over here tbh that grey one isnt madly out compared to others cause everything is overpriced! for example a man got one in from england there, 117k one owner bog standard and he wants 1700 Confused

yes mark that was my thinking. although with no serv history theres no proof of cambelt change and im not gonna let that happen to me again Blush so theres that and MOT up soon
Thanks given by:
oooo bad one. well im sure if you keep looking mate you will find a cheap one. loads on ebay at the minute. i was looking the other day. good luck anyway mate.
Thanks given by:
cheers kingy. been looking a month now after i sold my 307 hdi so impatient lol. Doh
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 08:39 AM)rd070707 Wrote: yes mark that was my thinking. although with no serv history theres no proof of cambelt change and im not gonna let that happen to me again Blush so theres that and MOT up soon

Cambelt is an easy enough job to do yourself if you are fairly competent at mechanics, just make sure you give it a good check over, all the service history in the world wouldn't stop things breaking/wearing out Tongue

If it looks fine and drives fine then chances are that its probably alright, just make sure you check for leaks (oil water etc) and that everything looks in good condition, look under the car and see if its covered in oil underneath which would point to an oil leak......just the normal shit really Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Didn't even think about NI prices. Tbh that is a fair price for cars over there really
Thanks given by:
thanks for all the advice guys, friendly welcome here Smile very hard decision to make when it comes to cars. i see myself loving this car but will cost me an extra few hundred in the next few months. hmmmm lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear stub axle sizes weka 2 2,102 26-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Last Post: weka
  rear axle joe67 4 2,674 25-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Last Post: carlukepeugeot
  rear axle beam tube quality dsm482 10 3,970 22-12-2017, 02:01 AM
Last Post: dsm482