Bad front brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad front brakes
Front brakes have been getting worse quite rapidly recently, and I pulled over on the way back from fcs to have a look.

The drivers side brake was incredibly hot, so I am assuming the pad(s) are constantly applying to much pressure and heating the discs?

The discs are also worn very unevenly, so I assume the pads aswel. Having only looked though the wheels I couldn't see the back of the discs, but the front of the drivers side has worn on the outer, and the passengers on the inner, so I am assuming this is what makes the steering wheel shake under braking.

Don't really want to just replace discs and pads because it will likely happen again in a few thousand miles! Any ideas what the problem could be?

Ta
Thanks given by:
My mrs had this on her xsi, we just replaced them for gti breaks and chucked them in the garage and forgot about them untill the breaks on my Dt failed so i got some new pads and discs dragged the calipers out the garage and they have been fine?? cant understand why they done it but seem to be ok now with new discs and pads

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Id say warped discs. and because they are warped they will be pushing the pads open a little on every rotation (meaning you get more pedal travel when you push on the brakes and that would also explain them getting hot because the warped part of the discs will be thudding against the pad every rotation instead of just brushing next to it...
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies, I might just try new discs and pads but would rather work out the problem because I don't believe in coincidences! And I did think about warped discs but only the drivers one is getting hot and sounding warped. The disc wear is also very deep so I don't think warping would do it..
Thanks given by:
or the pads are sticking in the caliper, holding the pad against the dis= heating it up & binding
if one side of the disc is getting overheated then it will lead to a buckled disc---which you feel when braking.
remove the pads, see they are not rusted onto the carrier, then try pushing the piston back into the caliper slowly by levering against the disc. dont rush this bit you must push them slowly or risk flipping the master cylinder seals over and killing it !!!!
if the drivers side is a lot harder to push back than the passengers side; undo the caliper bleed nipple and then push the piston back into the caliper if it goes easy then suspect the brake flexy hose is blocked (just done 2 on a 53 plate corsa van) and replace the pair.
then fit the new pads and discs, dont drive like a tosser until they have bedded in and they will love you.
Thanks given by:
Sticking sliders cause uneven pad wear and generally crap braking.

Check your sliders are free and if not free of and re-grease before replacing your pads.

Discs may be warped if they've gotten very hot, but you can tell by rotating them by hand and watching to see if the gap fluctuates.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Identify these front brakes.. Dazecoop 14 2,778 21-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Elfyno
  Front brakes binding but no usual heat signs MY95 12 2,045 27-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Last Post: MY95
  Gti6 brakes on front, drum on rear MarkHam 5 1,792 13-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31