My first estate, but second 306.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first estate, but second 306.
Depends how far you want to go with it.

I use Menzerna compounds and pads with a rotary mop, which is great for scratch removal/paint renovation. Claying beforehand to remove grit/contamination.

Then go over with a decent wax, I use Dodo Juice.

If it's only a couple and they're light enough, you may just get away with some Auto Glym SRP and then some wax.
Thanks given by:
Hmm.... Well I'm not looking for a showroom finish, and I don't own a rotary polisher.

So I might try a clay bar and the autoglym stuff first.
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If you're not that bothered and only removing a couple of scratches, you don't need to clay. Rotary polishers are cheap though and it's worth it
Thanks given by:
So... get a cheap rotary polisher and some autoglym SRP and some wax and give it a good going over?
Thanks given by:
If you don't want to give the whole thing a going over, then don't bother with the mop. Just get some SRP and go over the scratches. Of course it won't hurt to do the whole thing! I'd recommend claying again then, though... But whatever you do, make sure some wax goes over the top for protection.
Thanks given by:
Aaaah, ok.

I'll just get some of the SRP stuff and do the scratches once I have the other wing on there.
Thanks given by:
Yesterday I replaced both track rod ends, so no more clunky clunky!

I also put new bulbs behind the heater controls (they didn't light up at all before). Not just any bulbs though, green ones! Childish, I know.

I also tidied up the tailgate. There were a few rust bubbles along the bottom edge where it closes against the bumper. So I sanded it down and went over it with blue steel and silver hammerite. The silver hammerite actually blends in quite well, but you don't see it unless the boot is open anyway. I would have made more effort if it was actually visible from outside the car. lol

I haven't got the new wing fitted yet though... Gah.
Thanks given by:
STUPID POST ALERT!

How the hell do you remove the wing...?

Well, most of it looks simple enough, but I'm worried about the side skirt. How's it attached, and if I need to remove it, how do I re-attach it?
Thanks given by:
This weekend I've been busy.

First, I replaced the wing that looked like it was repainted by Stevie Wonder.

[Image: 1SY5MVs.jpg]

Then, I fiddled with the exhaust.
Now, I had planned to replace the centre section as the one on there was a bit rusty towards the back end of it, just before it connected to the backbox. I also wanted to try doing the Dum-Dum conversion on the old centre section.

It turns out the need to replace the backbox was somewhat urgent too. lol

[Image: 9qWoNyz.jpg]

Old centre section compared with new.

[Image: NXXNmII.jpg]

So the shiny new one is in its proper place, and the rusty old one had the worst bit trimmed off and was converted into a backbox with some creative use of an old exhaust clamp and some threaded bar shaped in a bench vice.

[Image: QzVpdrN.jpg]

[Image: UcNzEeh.jpg]

It ends up exiting in an amusing place on the estate. Big Grin

[Image: RjIK3bv.jpg]

[Image: rq8dA3Q.jpg]

I decided to stick a shiny chrome trim on it to tidy it up.

[Image: q09WIJb.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That exhaust looks nice!
[Image: Untitled_zps2ed48460.png]
Thanks given by:
corner exit 'zorst ftw.

too bad I never got a chance to lend a hand when I was up dude
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 04:26 PM)samass Wrote: corner exit 'zorst ftw.

too bad I never got a chance to lend a hand when I was up dude

Meeeh, another time, maybe. No idea where in the UK you are now. lol

I think today I'll try to wrap the bits of threaded bar that go through the rubber hangers with gorilla tape. Somebody in the chat box said that it'll eat through the rubber otherwise.
Thanks given by:
I crawled under it today and covered the bits of threaded bar that go through the rubber hangers with gorilla tape. Should maybe stop it cutting through the rubber. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
*cough*

[Image: averoEa.jpg]

I had it lying about, I was bored, the filter in there was buggered.

I'm pretty sure it's not an oiled filter, so shouldn't bugger the MAF sensor. I can always just get another from the scrappers if I have to though.

Epic bodge mostly held in place with cable ties. Not sure how long it'll stay on there, but it's amusing for now and does give it a tiny bit more bwaaarp.

Haters gonna hate etc. etc. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Not much to report, really.

First, I've painted the steelies with white hammerite, ready for the winter. Not the best job but meh, they'll get dirty anyway. I'll get a photo once they're on the car.

It also got an MOT yesterday... it was the best MOT I've ever had on any car ever!
Only 2 advisories, both to do with the rear brakes:
- the handbrake only just met the standard
- rear discs pitted and scored

Soooo I've just ordered new rear discs and pads. I only replaced the fronts about a month ago!
Thanks given by:
The crank pulley just shat.

f*ck's sake!
Thanks given by:
That sucks, hope it didn't take anything else with it. time for a solid one.
Thanks given by:
Nah, it still runs fine, thankfully. Just no PAS or alternator.

It's sat at my house waiting on a Lynx solid pulley which should arrive either today or tomorrow, then I should be able to crack on with it tomrrow!

Borrowing my parents' 2005 Subaru Legacy Outback at the moment, it's nice but bloody thirsty! lol
Thanks given by:
Perfect exscuse to sack off the air con pump ThumbsUp

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Well I already have the 1753mm belt, so...
Thanks given by:
Ooohh thats gona be tight i used a 1800 and that was f*skin tight lol

Thanks given by:
What the hell are you on about?

The 1753mm went on fine. All sorted now, and I put my white steelies on it too. They have winter tyres. I would have taken a photo but it's dark and pissing with rain. Maybe tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Really? I had the tension pushed back to the stop and still had to leaver it over with a screw driver Big Grin

maybe my new tensioner dosnt push back as far as others

Thanks given by:
Meh, I used the tensioner that was already there. Seemed fine. Heh.

Also, winter wheels:

[Image: pgM3gzg.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks like such a shed on those too small white wheels IMO. That said I'm going to be crying at my lack of winter tyres so I guess your the winner.
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2013, 02:51 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Looks like such a shed on those too small white wheels IMO. That said I'm going to be crying at my lack of winter tyres so I guess your the winner.

Its the white on moonstone thats the problem lol Doh

Thanks given by:
*flicks V's at everyone

I like it. Tongue

But yeah Dum-Dum, I really need the winter tyres up here in the frozen Northern wasteland that is NE Scotland. lol
Thanks given by: