Smoothing Bumpers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoothing Bumpers?
Hey All,

Im after a bit of advice, Im going to attempt smoothing bumpers, i have done bits in past but never to bumpers.

What im wondering is whats the best filler to use as obviously the bumpers are plastic just to fill the lines in the bumpers and also how to fill front reg recess? would this need plastic welding a piece from another bumper or just bog?

And finally What method would people recommend for smoothing side strips off how to fill the holes left over i mean ie weld or just bog??

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have done the front and rear bumper, I have actually done three front bumper.

Side strips I got a company to weld up from the inside. But I hear Chemical metal works wonders also. Do not just try and fill them I did this a few times and did not work well.

Front bumper I first drilled a few dimples in the area to be filled and you glass fibre to fill most of the area then used flexi filler from Halfords. I have used normal filler in the past and that seems fine also. All three of my front bumpers are still going strong I believe.

Rear bumper same method, but I filled the deepest part of the reccess with sticks of plastic and screwed them in and filled all around them with glass fibre so there were now empty spaces. Then filled the rest so there is only a small lay of fleix filler over the top.
Thanks given by:
I've never done it myself but some plastic welding rods might fit in the recess quite nicely leaving you to rub down and skim with filler after. I'm sure I've read of people using polyester resin in the recess but that would be very messy.

If you've already got a heat gun then maybes worth a try as I don't think the rods are that expexpensive but you can get a plastic filler that is supposedly flexible or at least more flexible than normal filler. I used some of that after welding some cracks on my front bumper and couple of months in now and it hadn't cracked or anything.

Edit - Ah beaten to it!! When you did it Mark did you use any fibreglass tissue/matting or just resin?
Thanks given by:
Just the stuff you buy in tins at halfords.
Thanks given by:
Mate I'll pm you back in abit. Currently fitting the bumper lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Wicked guys thanks and no problem Matt nice one

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Pics Of Smoothing Bonnet Grill Etc? Josh1994 2 1,140 16-07-2014, 09:28 AM