XUD + BOOST + WIN

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD + BOOST + WIN
Reading this makes me want to fix the sigma Sad
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I want a XUD just for epic boost. Shame I can't afford/ don't have space for 3 cars! Gti might get sold soon ninja
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I miss my old XUD,it was only a lucas'd stage 1 bag of bolts but it felt much better to drive than the HDI.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:Just don't get all derranged into thinking that turbo diesels are better than Petrol powered equivalents to drive.(

Don't start - because you've never driven a decent one, or been in one.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
bongo Wrote:Great opening post, really well written and would love to have an XUD again to tinker with if space permitted as I loved driving my old one and the mechanical aspect to it but unfortunately not enough space.

Still find it funny that highly tuned diesels are compared to standard 6s though, especially considering that you can pick up a mint 6 for £1k that benefits from all the improved handling features as standard. Definitely more than one side of the coin to the argument.

It's probably because it's a god car to compare as it's the best of the standard 306's and is a good benchmark to set and beat. Don't get me wrong I've driven a 6, lovely cars but it's just not the same as a big turbo'd XUD coming on boost with a big turbo IMO. Like Ruan says they are totally different cars after a bit of work.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Lol typical post from C.A.R.....

Its just a typical petrolhead / 306 gti owner repsponce... with the issue being, that 90% of these people making these comments, have never BEEN in a diesel 306...not a proper one, just been out in a bosch pumped car with FMIC, and thought it was pants / thats that....yes, thats because it was, it was probs about 140hp.... Add a big blower, and decent pump to the mis, and you literally turn them into a totally different car, which im betting money would suprised the likes of you c.a.r and many others...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Hehe i can happily say ive been in a few of these high boost diesels and as much as i love the Rallye and the way it delivers its power etc etc, the boosted XUDs are in a different league for feel and power. I will go out and say that a supercharged 6 will be quicker, but nothing beats the feel of boosted XUDs which all leave me with a massive grin, the noise, torque... argh i need some boost again (diesel boost).
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:Hehe i can happily say ive been in a few of these high boost diesels and as much as i love the Rallye and the way it delivers its power etc etc, the boosted XUDs are in a different league for feel and power. I will go out and say that a supercharged 6 will be quicker, but nothing beats the feel of boosted XUDs which all leave me with a massive grin, the noise, torque... argh i need some boost again (diesel boost).

Hehehe, I knew you were holding onto that sigma for a reason, and a good one at that Wink
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Haha, now dont get me wrong i love my Rallye (to bits) and more than the Sigma, but i cant get rid of it because its awesome to have both worlds in your life, and i dont care what anyone says, the noise of a big turboed diesel coming on boost is just insane!
Thanks given by:
And as for supercharged six's....high boosters, hm yeh we arnt there yet....but low boosters, imo theres a few of us now who could give them a bloody good run for there money...we have come from 140hp hard stage 1's to 220+hp xuds in less than 2 years...give us another 2 years, and maybe those high boosters will need to look out to??

Wink
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Quite possibly Smile Its going to take some innovation and major engine changes though Smile I think you have found the limits of the Stock block setup Smile But theres a few in the pipeline Smile We shall definatly see and i sure hope so! 400HP is one hell of a figuire to chase though!
Thanks given by:
450hp has been seen on an 8v TDi...

It's coming!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Inlines pumps and mtdi's....wait, who is it thats building one of those?!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Wahey good on you getting it done!

All this talk about power, it doesn't matter when you have something that looks as sexy as that estate! Phwoah
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
Bang! Popped my boost hose cherry last night and properly shat myself lmao

Thumping up the motorway at a bit over 20 psi and heard a massive bang and lost all power, temp gauge shot up too. Thought it was something more serious but popped the bonnet and luckily had a screwdriver to sort of fit the clamp again and pussy footed home.

Lol.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Need better clamps.
Thanks given by:
Nah most likely just need to bead the pipes, are they beaded at all?

Theres no need for anything much more than decent jublees on boost hoses, provided your pipes are correctly beaded...

Clamping them down hard as hell with big clamps will help, but will still blow off under naughty boost, nice bead and half decent jublee will see 60psi no problems!

You should hear the bang at 60psi Wink
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Aye 450 on a tdi but I think the limit has been reached on the 1.9 xud!
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:
c.a.r. Wrote:Just don't get all derranged into thinking that turbo diesels are better than Petrol powered equivalents to drive.(

Don't start - because you've never driven a decent one, or been in one.

lol

There'll always be the diesel vs. petrol debate, but ultimately the latter are more fun to drive. You can't hoon a diesel, it just feels wrong. Even revving it out feels wrong.

Yes you can carry vast amounts of speed and the acceleration is quite astonishing, and whilst they make great 'everyday' commutor cars they most certainly aren't the bread and butter of performance or indeed fun.

Not been in a decent one? A decent what? 12 year old Peugeot on old technology?

I regularly used to drive a 150bhp CDTi Astra which would show an old 306 up on any road, I've also been behind the wheel of a new Insignia diesel, so I'm not unfamiliar with higher output diesel engines. They just waft up to speed though, there's no real 'fun' in wringing their necks.

I'm beginning to regret buying my Focus because I don't think I'll see the returns on fuel economy. The distance between refills is obviously welcome but ultimately I could be doing the same thing in a 1.8 Focus and be having a lot more fun whilst not going quite as fast.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Thats the point we're trying to get across. An XUD or any other diesel with a big blower is a completely different drive to these modern, smooth, refined, baby turbo'd high output diesels. Yes your right the modern diesels are pretty boring but not a big turbo'd one.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
You can rev an xud mate, so the point still stands. You havent been in a high boosted xud so you cant comment im afraid.
Thanks given by:
A 150 cdti, there slow as fook. My stage 1 ZX can out pull one off the line until three figures.

Don't even get me started on how my 306 leaves it for dust.

And yes I have been in one and regularly drive one as my girlfriend had one as a company car for over 2 years.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:
Ruan Wrote:Don't start - because you've never driven a decent one, or been in one.

lol

There'll always be the diesel vs. petrol debate, but ultimately the latter are more fun to drive. You can't hoon a diesel, it just feels wrong. Even revving it out feels wrong.

Yes you can carry vast amounts of speed and the acceleration is quite astonishing, and whilst they make great 'everyday' commutor cars they most certainly aren't the bread and butter of performance or indeed fun.

I regularly used to drive a 150bhp CDTi Astra which would show an old 306 up on any road, I've also been behind the wheel of a new Insignia diesel, so I'm not unfamiliar with higher output diesel engines. They just waft up to speed though, there's no real 'fun' in wringing their necks.

I'm beginning to regret buying my Focus because I don't think I'll see the returns on fuel economy. The distance between refills is obviously welcome but ultimately I could be doing the same thing in a 1.8 Focus and be having a lot more fun whilst not going quite as fast.

Sorry but were talking two complete different things here. A insignia is a modern direct injection diesel with no character what sl ever. In fact, my nut sack had more personality than a insignia (and yes I have driven one).

I've never driven a tuned 306 diesel but I've been in a few and they are certainly more fun than any old crap vauxhall will ever produce.

Edit: oh and perhaps you should start thinking more about how you word your posts because your starting to sound like a right arrogant tosser........but I'm sure that's not the case.....
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
C.A.R Your definitely missing something here. Even my standard BMW is an awesome drive though its substantially slower than a GTi6. I was wringing its neck this morning on the way home from work and it felt properly sorted especially some of the corners holding it on the limit of grip at 4krpm, coming out the corner accelerating to 5krpm and bang next gear, still on boost.

If your down this way one night and your insured come and have a drive of my car.
Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:There'll always be the diesel vs. petrol debate, but ultimately the latter are more fun to drive. You can't hoon a diesel, it just feels wrong. Even revving it out feels wrong.

What you're saying just proves once again, you have no idea...

And don't start on 150 CDTis - they're utter dogwank - same as PD150s, the new TDi CommonRails - none of them rev, they're all modern Direct Injection bullshit, huge lump of torque at 2700rpm and nothing else until tail off at the e-governor.

I can quite happily wring mines neck, sit at 4500-5500rpm with power there... I OWN a GTi6 remember, I've driven both, and trust me, my rattly old 1970s technology indirect injection turbodiesel is a significant amount more fun.

Ask a few people who've been in mine or a few of the other peoples cars on here which aren't just a stage 1 tune... They're not your OEM factory 150hp Commonrail Turbo... You're also trying to compare to your Focus, which is a 115hp first gen Delphi CR system - they are truly shit also.
Thanks given by:
Popcorn
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Lol every post you make c.a.r is telling me more and more that you dont know what your talking about, no offence but seriously, I repeat what everyone else is saying..

You have instantly started comparing it to random high hp diesels...which are STOCK, and boring....the biggest problem with diesel, is that all STOCK diesel cars are pretty much meant for economy / cheap running...even the new sporty diesels, are still made mainly for economy...they only tune / sell "fun" petrol cars...hence diesel never gets shown in its winstate...

Driving a new vw tdi etc, even if it is 180hp, is no different to driving a stock xud tbh...and in the modern cars, even less fun imo...

Strapping a td04 for exampe to an xud 306, will ra*e any modern diesel any day of the week, and be a WAY better drive than any modern car / na gti6 tbh...

Like I said in the first post, until you have been in a PROPERLY sorted out big blower xud, you really comment...because frankly, you clearly have no idea... There are petrol heads in this thread saying the same thing? are you blind lol...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
These petrol vs diesel threads, as so many turn out, do amuse me, if you're going to argue something know both sides of the story!

big power xud != big power modern diesel

I owned t25 11mm blah blah blah 306 and it revved and was amazing to drive, the power delivery was so much fun. I now own a gti-6 its quick but the power is nothing the same, its definitely quick and the noise is amazing, both are amazing I love my 6 but I miss the sheer torque and rawness of the xud.

and as for big power new diesels, they are a very uninspiring drive, I've driven a lot, vw t5 174bhp - vw golf gt tdi 140 (shit power for a gt badged car and supposed high power diesel!) pd130 engined cars all smooth power but uninspiring to drive and no rev range.

basically no one is right here as everyone has different opinions, thankfully, but if you do want to argue your point please understand the other sides point first
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
Aaaaaand back on topic.

Welcome to the dark side! Very well-written piece, like it Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:It's probably because it's a god car to compare as it's the best of the standard 306's and is a good benchmark to set and beat. Don't get me wrong I've driven a 6, lovely cars but it's just not the same as a big turbo'd XUD coming on boost with a big turbo IMO. Like Ruan says they are totally different cars after a bit of work.

Nah that's fair enough using it as a benchmark as it's always good to have a target to work towards but I'm sure you can see the argument when people can be negative towards something and then use it as a benchmark to say something is amazing.

I don't want to turn this into another Petrol V Diesel thread as they both have their advantages, I even said I'd love another one to play with again but space only allows one car for me, however the point I was trying to make was that there is more to the argument than just straight line speed or power figures, either car can be better than the other in different scenarios.
Thanks given by: