Nearly killed myself - Dangers of running too low

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly killed myself - Dangers of running too low
Went out for a drive today and have just nearly died cos my car is so low.

Was flying up one of my favorite roads outside Taplow that Ive not been up in a while. Its NSL/De-restricted so you can imagine the speeds I was doing.

I was braking at the end of one of the straights for a corner and noticed that half of my side of the road had sunken away by several inches. I couldn't swerve round it because it was just on the entrance to a blind corner.

Anyway I had to go over it, the car dropped into it with a massive thud (thought Id cracked the sump) but preceded to slide for about 10 meters on the underside of the car at the front so neither front wheel was making any useful contact with the road and I couldn't turn in.

Eventually slid off the road and thought Id lost half my front bumper as I went up the banking but so glad the banking went up and not down as it meant I could turn. Sheer fluke that my car isn't wearing a tree shaped hole now.

Proper brown trouser moment.
Dosent appear to be any actual damage to the car somehow.
Im gonna have to wind the coilovers up when it stops raining. I know she looks stunning at this height but I nearly had a heart attack.
Thanks given by:
Shit man that's really not good, thankfully mine isn't that low. The roads round here are crap too!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Oh dear! Glad you're okay though mate, could've been a lot worse!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im glad your alrite first and foremost.

But finally, suspension is supposed to travel and keep the wheels in contact with the road, low is not cool!!!!!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:low is not cool!!!!!

meh

It is when its safe.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
dayum. lucky escape man.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, still feeling a little shaken.

James I know what your saying but I do have a fair bit of travel (not like a 306 running all the way down on coilies) Sadly just not enough travel.
Thanks given by:
Just glad your alrite mate.
Thanks given by:
Typical BMW tbh.

Haha joking. Glad your ok
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
contact the council, get some dolla outa them
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
declantg Wrote:contact the council, get some dolla outa them

They won't do anything about it, same way if your car is lowered and your tyre bursts from a massive pot hole they'll say your car being lowered did it
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4x4 ride height ftw
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
How low are you?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
lolsteve Wrote:How low are you?

As low as your grannies nipples
[Image: 43f2473c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
lolsteve Wrote:How low are you?

I scrape on the white lines in the middle of the road sometimes.
Thanks given by:
my car does the same as soon as it hits a pot hole or a drain thats dropped at speed!
with it been that light and low it can make the stearing jump to the left or the right! so i tend to stay clear of that 60 limit stretch of road now.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:preceded to slide for about 10 meters on the underside of the car at the front so neither front wheel was making any useful contact with the road ...
... Im gonna have to wind the coilovers up when it stops raining. I know she looks stunning at this height but I nearly had a heart attack.

You didn't have them setup correctly! your overall vehicle weight on plummet overcame the travel required of the springs to equalise the force the drop of your car had.... your springs don't have the force to make traction with the tyres!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oooooor, someone was driving a little bit too much as his title suggests? whistle
Thanks given by:
Shit on dude, sounds like fun. :? Can always just drop it for shows i guess.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
dont higher your car, just dont go on that road again. simples.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
kingy Wrote:dont higher your car, just dont go on that road again. simples.

Wait, so you can just have another 'near miss' on a different road?

Makes no sense. Function > Form. I'll admit a lowered car looks good, but nobody is going to look good upside down in a field, no matter how low their car was. Why risk it? Just so you can impress people you don't even know?

When I put the MX5 on coilovers everyone asked me if I was going to 'slam it' so I could be 'scene'. Like f*ck, I spent £600 on suspension that I want to get some benefit from, plus I'm not a retard.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:
kingy Wrote:dont higher your car, just dont go on that road again. simples.

Wait, so you can just have another 'near miss' on a different road?

Makes no sense. Function > Form. I'll admit a lowered car looks good, but nobody is going to look good upside down in a field, no matter how low their car was. Why risk it? Just so you can impress people you don't even know?

When I put the MX5 on coilovers everyone asked me if I was going to 'slam it' so I could be 'scene'. Like f*ck, I spent £600 on suspension that I want to get some benefit from, plus I'm not a retard.

hmmmmm.........................apart from suspension works fine as long as the wheel can travel properly no matter what hight the car is............

Edit:- Low with £20k of suspension, do you think these handle shit and would end up upside down in a field too??

[Image: race-Rally-Car-Citroen-DS3-WRC-608x425.jpg]
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
<3

Agreed with you Mark, longer springs for more travel, need to get myself some!
Thanks given by:
Curt Wrote:Oooooor, someone was driving a little bit too much as his title suggests? whistle

Thank god I'm not the only one thinking it :roll:

Seriously, soft set-ups work well in the wet or on shit roads, as is abundantly clear at the off-road end of the spectrum. Conversely at the other end of the spectrum; f1 cars are shit on anything but a smooth track, as the suspension travels millimeters, and is very very hard.

If you set your car up hard and/or low, you're going to have to expect that it won't handle as well in the wet, or on bumpy potholed roads.

Imo one should drive to the cars abilities/set-up and to the conditions. Which from the sounds of it you weren't.
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Mark your post is largely irrelevant. The WRC cars when set up for a tarmac stage like the one you posted have considerably more thought and design and modification than a road-going BMW which has been DIY lowered for aesthetic.

The WRC car will likely bottom out on certain stages, as can be seen if you watch the coverage, the cars are fitted with skid plates to protect the sump/exhaust. The difference is that the contact patch the tyre makes with the road will still be good, the suspension geometry is correctly set up for those situations, the spring rate will be increased to co-inside with the reduced wheel travel (before chassis makes road contact) etc etc etc.

Raising the car up would undoubtably make it handle ten times better. Putting it back on OEM suspension (shock, horror!) would further improve the handling I would think. It's a false economy that lower = better, because there's so much more to it than that.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Those WRC cars have more travel left than you think, the front splitter/bumper/sills are all flexible polyurethane so they can bend out of the way, the floor of the car is actually higher than them on most.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kayley Killed it cully 13 1,943 27-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Learner driver killed my 306 :( Leedunn86 14 2,269 22-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  crazy m5 driver killed. Jonny81191 33 7,468 25-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Last Post: procta