Not sure...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure...
Where I needed to put this sorry I'm looking for some advice as regards to my steering...I have just purchased a 1998 R 306 D turbo estate and although it has power steering it is VERY heavy. I have heard about the knuckle joints seizing up on them or something along those lines can someone tell me where this is and how to free it up a bit forgive me please it's my first Pug I previously owned a Fix Or Repair Daily Mondeo!!!

If anybody can help me with this that would be much appreciated as although the workout on the arms is great by this time next year I will be big enough to give Arnie a run for his money as I cover on average 2,000 miles a month!
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Can you hear your pumps pressure releif valve kicking in when you try and spin it? 'cos heavy steering is normally the noticeable flat tyres, or problems with your PAS pump, whats it like compared to when the car engines off, does it change how the steering feels. Pick a quiet road and switch your engine off and coast to see if it changes, remember dont remove your key though! else your lock will engage Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeh you can hear the pressure relief valve kicking in already tried that and it's pretty much the same with engine off TBH I was told that it was definitely the knuckle joint that's seized on just needed to know how to free it up was told to apply liberal amounts of WD40 and keep spinning the steering to free it off just dunno where that knuckle joint is!

Thanks given by:
I will guess that the knuckle joints behind the engine pretty much directly below the brake reservoir but TBH that is something that I have never heard of on these before, to me it sounds like a failed pump or steering rack, especially if its just as heavy switched off as it is when its on!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Yeh if it makes no difference with the engine on than when off its providing no mechanical benefit, so your issue probably lies there with a pump/oil/rack issue. I highly doubt it would be your knuckle joint, to get them off you need to drop the subframe though. Whats it like with the two front wheels on axle stands, does it move freely then ?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well after about a week of being in use most of the time and over 1,000 miles later the steering has freed up slightly but is still quite "notchy" but a hell of a lot lighter now either that or my arms are getting more muscle and it's just making it a bit lighter work lol!

Thanks given by:
Check the fluid is actually in there and circulating with the pump running and moreso when you turn the steering.
Thanks given by:
Done that too Dum, PSF was a little low though not dangerously low or even low enough to cause concern so stuck some in and worked the steering to get air bubbles out and it does circulate quite well the only way I can describe it is the steering is almost notchy...

Thanks given by:
Pump failure is quite common on these in one way or another.
With the engine running, remove the lid on the PAS reservoir and check if there is a steady flow in there. If its not moving or if its not a steady flow, it's almost definitely a buggered pump.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: