corrosion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
corrosion
A citroen dispatch with a pug hdi 2 l engine, has no air con and a modified aux drive belt bottom jockey "anti flap" wheel. It has an intercooler.

Anyways the corrosion.

Stone chip covering on sills etc, real good stuff, tough and looks good, but ANY blistering means real CORROSION under neath.

BE WARNED.

Stone chip coating gets chipped, water gets underneath and spreads and corrodes like hell the metal paper thin.

The only real way to check for rot under the stone chip, is to burnt it off.

On this van, sections looked perfect, felt perfect and stiff and strong, until the stone chip was burnt off, to reveal bad bad bad corrosion.

The worst part was the n/s/rear jacking point on the sill. Looked good, felt good etc until it was jacked up there. Lots of crunching then the jack just disappeared into the sill as the weight was loaded.

The inner wheel arch on the near side was literally held together with the stone chip, which all just crumbled in my fingers !!!

All weldable and relatively easy, but just tooooo much along with all the new parts needed. Looking for a donor and/or s/h parts, else its a scrapper.

Pugs are psa and use the same stone chip !?
Thanks given by:
Yep, precisely the reason my Rallye got bare metaled underneath and in the engine bay/arches etc.

The amount of corrosion you describe I found UNDERNEATH stone chip that looked perfectly good on top was ridiculous. Doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as what you've discovered though....
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Yeh, where its gone its bad, but weldable, basically the 4 corners and across the back under the doors, stone chip/undershield holding the rust together here and there, the rest is very good corrosion wise...........pity........
Thanks given by: