Anyone know anything about plumbing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know anything about plumbing?
[Image: M3GGryEqx6fLkpQJRh45IUnbSAPbH7F77pVWOoq2...88-h949-no]

I am having a problem with a toilet. Some of the water is always seeping through, so the cistern empties every hours of so causing it to be refilled.

Opened it up, found that pushing large hollow cylinder in the centre solves the slight trickle going into the toilet, so I thought there might be some adjustment on the part, so I removed the whole white part on the picture.

I tried moving the grey part up and down, this seemed to do nothing, however, upon reinstalling the part in the toilet, it will no longer flush.

On pushing the button at the top, the plastic cylinder lifts up about 1cm, then falls back down as soon as the button is released (it should stay up to "flush" the toilet!!)

Can anyone shed some light on this? 
Thanks given by:
Can't see any pic...
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2018, 06:36 PM)Uberderv Wrote: Can't see any pic...

Its there for me. Ive attached it as well now. Does that help?

Direct link!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M3GGry...88-h949-no

Tried to attach it again, any good?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
The part on the left appears to be the float/ inlet side. The problem will be with center part, probably an oring or washer not sealing correctly. I'd imagine you could strip it and replace the leaking part. Try to look for a model to help Id spares. I'm not a plumber by the way Smile
Thanks given by:
The left is the inlet, it's a fluidmaster bottom fill inlet.

The centre is the flush, looks like it's button activated from top centre. Leaking into the cistern will be the flush leaking internally allowing water down to the pan. the o rings don't normally give grief unless disturbed but it could also be that.

To be honest, they're so cheap from screwfix throw it away and fit another. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-p...alve/51173
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2018, 01:23 PM)C2K Wrote: The left is the inlet, it's a fluidmaster bottom fill inlet.

The centre is the flush, looks like it's button activated from top centre. Leaking into the cistern will be the flush leaking internally allowing water down to the pan. the o rings don't normally give grief unless disturbed but it could also be that.

To be honest, they're so cheap from screwfix throw it away and fit another.  https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-p...alve/51173

Awesome, that has a cable, rather than a screwy on button that attaches directly to the flush, will that matter? Are the cables easy to install?

Also the outlets are measured in 1 1/2 - 2", the bottom of my toilet is much larger than that! I've got a photo.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
You can convert direct action button to cable action button, the flush body is normally a bit shorter. What you’re measuring there is not the cistern but part of your old flush. You need to take the screws out that hold the cistern to the wall (2 at the top corner normally) and then the two wing nuts under the cistern that attach to a bracket that hold it together with the pan, you can’t miss them. Then there will be a huge plastic nut sat in a rubber washer which ensures water only goes into the pan. Undo that big nut and the part of the flush you can see will come free. Throw it away then...

Honestly it’s not tricky to sort at all! Just check out whether the cistern fasteners are rusty as obviously bathrooms are damp. You may need a new cistern fitting kit if so, but again only a few quid.

Your flush will be one of the sizes that screw fix stock and they probably also still sell direct acting button flush rather than cable.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: