Black Ford Ranger Thunder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Ford Ranger Thunder
As I know you lot are sick of me swapping cars I'll keep this brief.
Spent £5k on the newest car I've ever owned, a 2009 Ford Ranger Thunder (Thunder being the spec below Wildtrak but it still has leather and AC)

She looks truck like, clearly been used as a car most of her life rather than a work truck but the paint is pretty crap close up (i didn't notice as I bought it in the dark and rain)

Went straight out and bought myself some 35" x 12.5" tyres on 15"x10" wheels.

They are genuinely huge and will give almost a 20% speedo error. They weigh over 40kg a wheel too

Obviously to fit the huge tyres I need more space in the arches so I had this 4" body lift kit delivered.

Also got myself a scanguage to use as a digital speedo as I can correct it for the huge tyres and also as it has instant mpg it might make me drive a little smarter as big 4x4s on huge tyres do terrible fuel economy.

Plans are to keep it a couple weeks then sell it / scrap it obviously Rofl
Thanks given by:
nice motor, can i just put my name down to buy this now??
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2017, 08:28 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: nice motor, can i just put my name down to buy this now??

Course you can, £7k sound fair?
Thanks given by:
Are you going to bring this one laning in wales so i can show you up in a practically standard td5 discovery? Tongue

Nah its a nice truck mate, will look awesome jacked up! any plans for spotlights etc to complete the look? Watch the rear diffs on these on massive tyres, they dont like it but other than that i hear very few horror stories Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2017, 10:31 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Are you going to bring this one laning in wales so i can show you up in a practically standard td5 discovery? Tongue

Nah its a nice truck mate, will look awesome jacked up! any plans for spotlights etc to complete the look? Watch the rear diffs on these on massive tyres, they dont like it but other than that i hear very few horror stories Smile

Never heard of rear diffs being a problem on these, there's always loads on ebay so it won't be too tough if I kill one.
As for showing me up let me get half a tonne in the back for some traction and we'll see about that.
I'd love 4 (or 6) big 9" spots on the roof but I wanna see how it looks lifted first before I make a decision about extra lighting. I might do the light bar in the grille thing again as you don't get bonnet reflections with that.
Thanks given by:
you really like these don't you dum dum, Why did you sell the one you had before? I can see the white one been a tin of beans now anyway.
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2017, 09:14 PM)procta Wrote: you really like these don't you dum dum, Why did you sell the one you had before? I can see the white one been a tin of beans now anyway.

I do love the ranger, they have a nice driving position compared to most pick ups and they aren't ugly
I sold the one I had before as it was too slow (109bhp) this one at 143bhp and mapable to nearly 200bhp will be fine.
Thanks given by:
I approve here, this is ours. Interested in how far you get the geometry dials on one of your outings.

Would be nice with Cruise Control and a rail around the outside of the bed that you can tie to, as those tie points inside the plastic are a be debatable how much pressure they'll take. But other than that it does what we want it to do.
Thanks given by:
Very nice Big Grin I agree that ford make the best looking trucks, nice having that higher road position. Do you ever bother with a top cover for the load bed?
1st project- Red Peugeot 306 DTurbo 1998
2nd project- Silver BMW E38 1999- Sold
Daily- Black Mitsubishi L200 Series 5

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/user/Hobo_Ash.html
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2017, 08:28 AM)mr_fish Wrote: I approve here, this is ours. Interested in how far you get the geometry dials on one of your outings.

Would be nice with Cruise Control and a rail around the outside of the bed that you can tie to, as those tie points inside the plastic are a be debatable how much pressure they'll take. But other than that it does what we want it to do.
Those dials are pretty rubbish, in part they seem to go on how hard you brake or turn more than the actual angle of the dangle.
Cruise control is the one thing it's missing that I'd want, the heated leathers are gonna be a nice touch in a couple of months time.
As for the tie down points there should be metal reinforcing behind that they are bolted to, certainly mine has that but then we are still talking about ally tie downs with a single M6 bolt holding it to the metal.

I have got a laneing trip planned for when I've got it lifted, theres no point going while I'm on road tyres as it'll be no fun.

(09-10-2017, 08:55 AM)Hobo Ash Wrote: Very nice Big Grin I agree that ford make the best looking trucks, nice having that higher road position. Do you ever bother with a top cover for the load bed?
Nah I have no need for one, I might get a mountain top or a tonneau cover purely for aerodynamic reasons (they are worth a couple of mpg) but anything I need to keep safe lives in the cab
Thanks given by:
Have you got a daily as well chris? I cant imagine how often the big tyres are used if youre dailying this Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2017, 10:36 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Have you got a daily as well chris? I cant imagine how often the big tyres are used if youre dailying this Tongue

Leathers, boots, motorcycle
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sells Subaru because using too much fuel.
Buys 4x4 pick up truck and fits huge tyres.

Man maths has been utilised here, hasn't it. ;-)
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2017, 12:13 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 10:36 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Have you got a daily as well chris? I cant imagine how often the big tyres are used if youre dailying this Tongue

Leathers, boots, motorcycle

I think it's more the leather and boots that are of interest from Chris than the motorcycle let's face it.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
By the same logic you should have an MX5 as a daily as you rarely use your rear seats.

(10-10-2017, 12:13 PM)Piggy Wrote: Leathers, boots, motorcycle
And yes I have a very capable motorbike that is going to take alot of the daily duties.

(10-10-2017, 02:43 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Sells Subaru because using too much fuel.
Buys 4x4 pick up truck and fits huge tyres.

Man maths has been utilised here, hasn't it. ;-)
Yes, many man maths Big Grin
The issue with the scooby wasn't the fuel economy as an MPG number it was the fuel cost total as I was driving hundreds of miles just for the sake of it. I can manage to drive the ranger less (and it's more comfortable)

(10-10-2017, 03:38 PM)Ruan Wrote: I think it's more the leather and boots that are of interest from Chris than the motorcycle let's face it.
Shhhhh, don't tell them my secret. Wink
Thanks given by:
Busy day today, serviced the truck, did a 2" suspension lift all round and started on the 4" body lift by doing the rear.
Right pain in the cock in places not least as the spacers weren't drilled big enough but I didn't have the right drill bit to do it myself so had to file them out with a hand file.
I'm sort of thinking that I might have gone a tad far but in the words of Carol Shelby, "Too much is just enough"

Front lift tomorrow and I know it's gonna be a pain in the cock but it does mean I can get my huge tyres on.

Thanks given by:
That is some lift.

Wheels look small now.

Interested to see the finished result.
Thanks given by:
Sold in ....5.......4........3..........2.........

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(13-10-2017, 08:33 AM)mr_fish Wrote: That is some lift.

Wheels look small now.

Interested to see the finished result.
Well wait no more........
Also I have big wheels, 35x12.5 on 15x10 ET-32 wheels

(13-10-2017, 08:36 AM)cully Wrote: Sold in ....5.......4........3..........2.........
And?

Another 8 hours on the truck yesterday got the lift kit actually fitted to the front

And as it was getting dark fitted the wheels for lolz

Still got some bits to do, mainly refitting the rad with longer hoses and praying my plan with the steering shaft extension works.
Thanks given by:
Needz bigger wheelz! Can still see the chassis ??
Thanks given by:
A few pictures in the daylight. Not finished it yet as I f*cked my knee slipping in the bath.

Main issues are sorting the steering shaft (lengthening and adding in a second UJ) and fitting the rad with longer coolant hoses.
There's just loads of little bits and bobs that all take an age to figure out holding it back from hitting the road.

Thanks given by:
my christ, high roller much?

whats happening with the front bumper? chopping up? or will it clear what you want to do?
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2017, 08:15 AM)mr_fish Wrote: my christ, high roller much?

whats happening with the front bumper? chopping up? or will it clear what you want to do?

Front bumper will need a slight trim of the arch extensions at the bottom edge but no more. I've kept it off so I can get closer to work on what I need to finish in the engine bay as it's so high now being able to get close matters.
Thanks given by:
will it come with a sep blatter?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2017, 03:49 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: will it come with a sep blatter?

Nah I can drag myself into it alright, anyone else isn't my problem.
Thanks given by:
looks a lot better with those wheels on!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dum-Dum's XLT Ranger 4x4 Dum-Dum 72 17,626 28-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Last Post: procta
  Dum-Dum's latest Ranger Dum-Dum 49 14,244 27-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  DEAD!!!! Dum-Dums Ranger 2.5TD 4x4 Dum-Dum 55 14,877 07-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle