Odd noise from footwell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd noise from footwell
I'm getting a strange noise from the driver's footwell.

It only happens about 2/3rds of the time when I either lift off the throttle sharply or depress the clutch quickly. The sound is quite a sharp TICK rather than a clunking I'd usually associate with something big like an engine / exhaust mount. It sounds more like somebody hitting the bulkhead with a screwdriver.
If I open the window I can hear it from outside too, suggesting it's in the engine bay.
I thought I'd traced it earlier when I found out my throttle pedal had about an inch of lateral movement :oops: Tightening that up didn't fix it though.

Any ideas?

If you're too lazy to look over to the left, just below my avatar, the car is a '97 Ph1 XLdt.
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Engine mounts causing excessive movement ?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:Engine mounts causing excessive movement ?

How difficult is it to replace engine mounts? They don't look massively complex. Already had one off to do the cambelt.
Thanks given by:
me-tm Wrote:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:Engine mounts causing excessive movement ?

How difficult is it to replace engine mounts? They don't look massively complex. Already had one off to do the cambelt.

Top two are easy as anything, lower one requires a bit more work & needs pressing in and out of the bracket.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Engine mounts is usually a decent thump/knock noise though, depending on which one is going. I think I know what you mean because i had a noise like this on the ZX, never solved it though so can't really give you any more info, helpful i know!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Engine mount on mine was a clunk. Everytime I accelerated or took my foot off. Stopped itself now though....... Don't know if that's good or bad haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
Id suggest that it is the down pipe ever so slightly tapping the sub frame where it passes through and under the car to the cat. I had this problem before still turnt out to be the engine moving to much and cousing the loose exhaust to catch

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Sod it. I'm looking at a cheap HDi estate that's 50 miles from me and only has 103k on the clock. It may be time for the Bianca to sod off soon...

EDIT: Nope, estate was sold, bugger.

I'll get a chance to have a good look under the car on Thursday when I'm out at my parents' farm.
Thanks given by:
me-tm Wrote:It sounds more like somebody hitting the bulkhead with a screwdriver.

Take the screwdriver off of them and tell them to go away?

Sorry couldn't resist, but on a more serious note I'd say to check the downpipe isn't fouling as has already been said other than that I had a noise very similar on my Mondeo and it turned out to be a suspension drop link!
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
does your gear stick move about when it happens? does it go forwards and backwards?
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another wet passenger footwell Stevers 2 2,020 10-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Stevers
  Wet Passenger Footwell, no coolant loss.... BikeJake68 2 3,141 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Electrical burning smell and smoke in passenger footwell DeeTurbo 11 2,177 20-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo