306D Wannabe!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306D Wannabe!!
Thumbs Up 
Morning guys,

I'm Paul, live just outside Stirling in Central Scotland. Currently own an '04 Skoda Fabia 1.9 PD100 Estate. Great car but now getting a bit the worse for wear bodywork wise. Showing no shame for 13 years old and 175K miles though  Itwasntme

Been looking at a change of cars, not really in to new cars & happened on an article in Practical Performance Car in the Staff cars section about a 306 5dr HDi. Caught my eye as I always thought these cars looked quite good when new. I need a diesel as I commute just short of 60 miles per day for work and do a good bit of running around outside work too. I like all shapes of 306, but especially like the Estate.

Looking to ask a few questions about buying/owning. Is there a decent guide in any of the forum sections? Or is it cool just to ask away?!

Thanks for reading.  Cool
Thanks given by:
Welcome along, just ask away and we will try and answer Smile
Thanks given by: Bigred407
(11-07-2017, 12:37 PM)Frosty Wrote: Welcome along, just ask away and we will try and answer Smile

Cool thanks. Just looking for the basics just now.

Are there any particular phase/year/engine that's better to go for? (needs to be diesel)

Are they bad for rot/rust anywhere? (I can't ever remember seeing a rusty 306)

Any particular problems, or problem areas to look out for when looking/buying?

Do TD's stay reliable (within reason) with a few mods carried out?

Thanks in advance guys!!
Thanks given by:
Ask away, i have 3, 2hdis and an xud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Ask away, the 5dr HDI in the Practical Performance Car magazine is mine Smile
Thanks given by: Bigred407
(11-07-2017, 03:36 PM)MY95 Wrote: Ask away, the 5dr HDI in the Practical Performance Car magazine is mine Smile

Thanks, reading about yours in PPC certainly gave me some food for thought. Just looking around to try and decide which model I'd be best to go for.
Thanks given by: MY95
(11-07-2017, 03:51 PM)Bigred407 Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 03:36 PM)MY95 Wrote: Ask away, the 5dr HDI in the Practical Performance Car magazine is mine Smile

Thanks, reading about yours in PPC certainly gave me some food for thought. Just looking around to try and decide which model I'd be best to go for.

Cheers!
Id go like for like and go for a HDI Estate, on a Y reg or newer for cheaper tax, and go by condition/service history rather than mileage. There are still a few nice bargain estates to be had that will not have been abused as much as the hatches Smile
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2017, 01:12 PM)Bigred407 Wrote:
(11-07-2017, 12:37 PM)Frosty Wrote: Welcome along, just ask away and we will try and answer Smile

Cool thanks. Just looking for the basics just now.

Are there any particular phase/year/engine that's better to go for? (needs to be diesel)

Are they bad for rot/rust anywhere? (I can't ever remember seeing a rusty 306)

Any particular problems, or problem areas to look out for when looking/buying?

Do TD's stay reliable (within reason) with a few mods carried out?

Thanks in advance guys!!

You need to start with deciding what engine you want, either the older style 1.9 xud or the newer HDi. Both really good engine as long as they are looked after. Theres pro and cons for both. Personally i would say go for the HDi as they are a nicer drive in my opinion and a simple remap completely transforms them. And as Matt said if you get a year 2001 onward the tax is about £100 a year cheaper.

They are pretty good cars for not rotting to bad, worse places can be on the chassis leg just behind the front subframe and the rear wheel arches. The estate seem to be effect the worse in the n/s rear arch as they come out the factory with an arch line in that arch for some odd reason.

They are becoming pretty hard to find good ones now but you can pick them up pretty cheap though. The things to ideally look out for would be the rear beam, clutch and cam belt history. Within reason they are the things that would cost the most to put right.

Hope this has been a bit of help. Any more questions just ask. Check out some of the project threads to give you some ideas.
Thanks given by:
Defo buy an estate, they look awesome done right.
Meridian SE is top spec.
Look out for rust on the nearside C pillar, you'd have to take the interior apart to find it though.
The one pictured below had a quarter million miles on the clock and was no less reliable than a 100k car

Thanks given by:
I bought a Y2K HDi 5dr, and have not regretted it.
major repairs have been a rear beam (swapped with a s/h one), a couple of front springs which broke a coil.
also, just had it re-sprayed. still enjoying it.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info guys. Great help. What are they like MPG wise? I'd like something that will at least equal my Fabia which will do about 50mpg over a tankfull
Thanks given by:
Varies, usually 45-55mpg depending on the journey and driving style. Very rare to get above or below that Smile
Thanks given by:
Cool, about the same as my Fabia then. Would be happy with that.
Thanks given by:
You will find not much difference in performance/mpg. Main differences would be better build quality with the fabia, but much cheaper parts/servicing costs etc with the 306. 306 would be much more fun though!
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2017, 07:51 AM)MY95 Wrote: You will find not much difference in performance/mpg. Main differences would be better build quality with the fabia, but much cheaper parts/servicing costs etc with the 306. 306 would be much more fun though!

Yeah, I work with parts in the Motor Trade myself so have an idea about parts prices etc. 

Wouldn't be so sure about the build quality in comparison to the Fabia, they're actually built quite well in my eyes.

I've seen a few cars looking at ads online, only problem is due to my location, most are a fair bit away!! I've seen an estate I quite like, but it's located in Christchurch!!  Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Thats good then, build quality definately better with the Fabia, got to remember the 306 is still French, even though it is one of the better built french cars of the generation.

You will find you will have to travel as they arent too common these days, especially good ones!
Thanks given by:
Yeah, totally appreciate that. I've seen a decent looking phase one too. Not sure if I would want an early model like that though. They do still look good however.
Thanks given by:
I've got a Ph3 HDI that's had a stage 1 map - I really like it as it's economical and pretty punchy. If I was looking now I'd probably go for an estate as others have said Y reg and beyond to reduce the tax bill.
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:
Had three 306 hdi's now and swear by them, two estates and a 5 door and had to go back to an estate after owning the 5 door. [Image: 2306570c4d657e412d5fed58834aa933.jpg]
Tuning wise there really easy going if your mechanically minded. Theres very little in the way to bolt on parts when it comes to intercoolers but some common sense with a grinder will see you trhough it.

In the way of rust areas like youve asked ive found 90% of estates ive looked at have gone on rear passangers seat belt mount due to them lacking a wheel arch that side when they came out the factory. Also i would be poking around the side skirts, this cars arnt young any more and they perfectly trap grud and rot the sills out as ive gound myself. Another on my own vechile was the rear passangers pocket in the boot had rotted, again due to lack of arch. Heard some people grumble about front arches where they sweep under the car to the floor plan but not seen it myself and dont think its so common.

As for a model id deffo aim to get a meridian as there a very nice starting point and look out for rear electric windows as they just make life a lot nicer come summer time.

Tuning wise, from my personal experience dont go beyond stage 2. Pushing a stage 3 setup on mine and ive found she eats parts like rottern now. Stage 2 was a very nice all round setup, alot of drivability aswell as being qyick and reliable. [Image: c2972adf4421cd228e2f8afd6cb2d848.jpg]

Of course this is just my personal opinion chap

Happy hunting!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
I've just joined the 306 HDI estate club too, it's a great drive and plenty of space inside to fill it with guff. Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306d newbie 4spark2007 4 988 28-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Last Post: blinkyeatu