Second car costs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second car costs
So im currently in a position of thinkkng about getting a second car as a weekend toy. Its not in anyway cheap and im gonna try put a bit away. But i seem to have got to a point where track daying my daily seems daft. Has anyone got a breakdown of costs just incase ive missed anything. Or opionions on if its worth it etc.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Tax and Insurance being the rollings costs.

MOT - Guess you can sort that?
Servicing/etc - as above
Thanks given by:
yeh the cost of the car is almost immaterial as is the mpg if its just weekend fun. The real costs are insurance. I pay something in the region of 3-400 for 6000 miles in the rallye with all its mods from flux. The tax you can always take on and off for the summer etc.
Thanks given by:
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance for a 2nd car then please feel free to drop me a line.
We have a number of schemes that cater for low mileage, weekend type vehicles.
Regards,
Dan.
Thanks given by:
Well the fuel costs obviously im not fussed about its genral "costs" tht i have to pay. Tax, mot, insurance. I just wanted to see what other people thoughts were. We usually have lus kingfisher on the road as a second car but costs penuts as never really gets driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
second car cost as much as a first car,
less fuel cost due to less mileage
remember traceday costs are expensive
i spend more servicing bianca after trackdays than my daily once a year, and bianca does less than 5kmiles a year

insurance second policy if you have good NCB some insurance companys will mirror NCdiscount to a second policy which will save you

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Should get some insuance quotes and ho from there they dont like me that much though. Lol

Thanks given by:
The tax/insurance/mot is the easy bit. It'll end up being about £50 a month.

The problem comes with the fact that you'll break twice as many parts and want to modify both cars (even if you claim you won't) so whatever you spend on mods and repairs at the moment just add the again for the second car.
Thanks given by:
Obviously very little ongoing costs if you trailer it as you won't need; tax, mot or insurance. So the only costs are a one off trailer & tow bar and the car itself and any mods
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2017, 10:41 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The tax/insurance/mot is the easy bit. It'll end up being about £50 a month.

The problem comes with the fact that you'll break twice as many parts and want to modify both cars (even if you claim you won't) so whatever you spend on mods and repairs at the moment just add the again for the second car.

I am purposly not modding the daily as i dont want it to go wrong. Need as much reliability as i can. Hence the second car thing. Would be awesome if i could have something quick/practical/daily/mpgs/reliable but they dont really exsist
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2017, 11:26 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(24-05-2017, 10:41 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The tax/insurance/mot is the easy bit. It'll end up being about £50 a month.

I am purposly not modding the daily as i dont want it to go wrong. Need as much reliability as i can. Hence the second car thing. Would be awesome if i could have something quick/practical/daily/mpgs/reliable but they dont really exsist

saab 93 aero wagon Tongue
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2017, 11:26 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:

They do exist, you'd just be financing something fairly new which would be expensive!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Yeah i dont do finance. I could potentially save a fair bit in the coming months if work bonus is ok. I dont think they exsist though.

Thanks given by:
I've had my 205 Mi16 for 12 years now and even though it's off the road, I still pay the insurance on it. I think it's about £200 FC and agreed valuation, european recovery etc. Tax is on the old system for a 1905cc engine. Fuel wise, it's pretty good if your careful.....I was getting low to mid 30s without trying as a daily driver. Laps of the 'ring or any other trackday cost though. Fairly straight forward to repair.

My BMW 330 is about £300 FC, tax again on the old system. Fuel is low 30s on a run, but horrific if you use the engine. I've had single figures from mine on a hard run. 

Good 205s will cost you a couple of grand for something decent these days, and some parts are getting hard to find & expensive. A Renualt Clitoris 172 or Spaxo VTR/VTS might be cheap enough....
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
205 and evo cost the same to run. Same on tax £245yr insurance is slightly cheaper on 205 but both have agreed values. Tbh i probably have the worst combo in cars lol
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Added up the second car costs and its not viable for us to do unfortunatly. Its just to much as lu already has a second car. I think the daily is about to get some love. Well one of them is anyhow.

Also saxo would be a win ive always had a secret love for them but it can never be.

Thanks given by:
(25-05-2017, 05:29 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Added up the second car costs and its not viable for us to do unfortunatly. Its just to much as lu already has a second car. I think the daily is about to get some love. Well one of them is anyhow.

Also saxo would be a win ive always had a secret love for them but it can never be.

saxo?! SAY HELLO TO THE BAN HAMMER!
Thanks given by:
i feel another 306 purchase coming, lucky number 15 Wink
Thanks given by:
How many miles do you do?

You could just get a fun, petrol daily and accept higher fuel costs for more fun. If you commute 20k a year then this will be expensive but if it is under 10k then why not?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2017, 05:29 PM)bashbae rnard Wrote: Added up the second car costs and its not viable for us to do unfortunatly. Its just to much as lu already has a second car. I think the daily is about to get some love. Well one of them is anyhow.

Insurance is probably the biggest cost.
Thanks given by:
Eugh my insurance is now 550 for 6k on the Rallye...
Thanks given by:
I do around 15k a year its a lot of ask from a petrol budget. As eyeore has just discoverd insurance costs are on the up again.

Thanks given by:
£175 for my 6 for the year with mods and 6K mile limit

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
(27-05-2017, 07:32 AM)Morganti Wrote: Insurance is probably the biggest cost.

Hi Morganti.  A new member from across the pond!  There are 306's in the USA then?  They must be a pretty rare sight.

Start a new thread in the Newbie section & tell us more!
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2017, 08:59 AM)cully Wrote: £175 for my 6 for the year with mods and 6K mile limit

who is that with cully? or is it just because youre so old?
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2017, 04:41 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(27-05-2017, 08:59 AM)cully Wrote: £175 for my 6 for the year with mods and 6K mile limit

it on an admiral multi car policy
probably not due to age, more to do with being in the arse end of nowhere

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Drove near Cullys place last year.
Can confirm, arse end of nowhere status.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2017, 05:08 PM)cully Wrote:
(27-05-2017, 04:41 PM)Eeyore Wrote:

it on an admiral multi car policy
probably not due to age, more to do with being in the arse end of nowhere

yeah arse end of nowhere is gonna help loads

my premiums have steadily gone through the roof due to changes in location
Thanks given by:
Sam lives in the middle of no where. Unless his moved?

Thanks given by:
(28-05-2017, 07:16 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Sam lives in the middle of no where. Unless his moved?

Yeh nearest shop is about 4 miles away. It's all weird.
Thanks given by: