Dum-Dum's China ph3 XUD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dum's China ph3 XUD
After killing my piece of shit 406 on the way back from Scotland last Saturday morning I needed a new car that day otherwise I'd not have been able to get to work the next day. A bit of a hunt online and I found Bash's XD converted ph3, it was out of my price range but nobody with one in my price range was answering the phone. I haggled him down and then left my house immediately for the 5 hour Journey to his which involved a good walk, train, tube, train, bus and a taxi and TBH did me in having already spent 6 hours in the car that day.

Picked her up, drove to Tesco, bought all their cheap veg and topped up the tank with diesel then drove another 2 hours home and had a pizza.

Issues are the rev counter doesn't work, the XUD box is far too short geared and the lack of gov mod kills the fun, it needs wipers and mist jets and rear window switches.

Had a chance today to have her washed and take some photos but as it was snowing my enthusiasm died. It's made me want another 2.1 though.

Thanks given by:
not going to FMIC it?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
You got a good deal with this car had loads of work done on it and hope it does you well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Loving this
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
back in a 306. Finally Tongue
Thanks given by:
Oh! Bash you realise Dum-Dum has a reputation for breaking 306's...........

Please look after this one chris they are getting a bit thin on the ground now Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Seen this car a few times and its really tidy. Dont mess it up dum! D:
Thanks given by:
This will be destroyed.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Don't listen to 'em, Chris!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you did ever 2.1 it, it would be epic!!
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2017, 03:40 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: not going to FMIC it?
I might but inlet adapters are overpriced and manifolds are getting thin on the ground so I might wait till I see about getting an XUD11

(26-04-2017, 05:23 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: You got a good deal with this car had loads of work done on it and hope it does you well
Yeah I'm pretty happy with it Smile

(26-04-2017, 06:19 PM)Orta Wrote: Loving this
Cheers mate Smile

(26-04-2017, 06:27 PM)Eeyore Wrote: back in a 306. Finally Tongue
Yesssssssss Big Grin Nearly 2 years since I've owned one. I forgot how well they handle, genuinely close to the scooby in terms of cornering especially when not at WOT and the braking is pretty good too even if it doesn't have the acceleration.

(26-04-2017, 07:05 PM)cully Wrote: Oh! Bash you realise Dum-Dum has a reputation for breaking 306's...........

Please look after this one chris they are getting a bit thin on the ground now Wink

(26-04-2017, 09:19 PM)Piggy Wrote: This will be destroyed.
GFY!

(27-04-2017, 06:04 AM)Poodle Wrote: Don't listen to 'em, Chris!
306 number 16 Wink I have a problem.

(27-04-2017, 06:50 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: If you did ever 2.1 it, it would be epic!!
Yes it would. Be nice to have pretty much the same set up as my old one except with a 10 or 11mm pump and a couple of piggys cool ideas like proper joiners for the LIM and UIM.

My job for today is fixing the rev counter so I'll let you all know how that goes. I'm hoping its the sensor not being in far enough or a fuse or something simple as I really don't want to have to work out how to fully rewire it.

One of my other niggles with the car is the Tim 2 bar boost gauge. They are alright gauges but the fact that it's only a 180* sweep and a third of that is taken up by vacuum means that not alot of the circumference is used. Also the needle actually rests at -0.25 when the engine isn't even running so is probably giving an inaccurate reading at peak.

I've bought an R-Spec boost gauge with a 270* sweep and no vacuum meaning that the gauge should be far easier to read accurately and not have so much wasted space.

Thanks given by:
I think you wont fix that rpm...

I spent hours trying to make it work on the estate if you remember. Just doesnt translate on some years for some reason..

Unless ph2 clocks have not yet been tried?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2017, 09:50 AM)Piggy Wrote: I think you wont fix that rpm...

I spent hours trying to make it work on the estate if you remember. Just doesnt translate on some years for some reason..

Unless ph2 clocks have not yet been tried?

It has ph2 clocks and it's an early ph3 (single plug ecu).
I've forgotten if it was an issue on my white estate and I've also forgotten how the black one that was converted years ago was fixed.
Thanks given by:
Hmm. Odd. If it doesnt work...then shoving ph2 clocks in just makes it work... If it doesnt...headache approaching
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2017, 09:56 AM)Piggy Wrote: Hmm. Odd. If it doesnt work...then shoving ph2 clocks in just makes it work... If it doesnt...headache approaching
Bugger, care to enlighten me as I dont appear to have written about how I fixed it on my last HDi>XUD conversion thread.
Thanks given by:
I've got the ideal manifold if you did want to fmic. The shortened one so not close to the M/C and I opened it up and cut out the egr channel to remove that restriction
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good to see you back in a 306 chris Big Grin

now get some FCS tickets bought Tongue
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
There's another fault at play. Done it before myself, you should only need Ph2 DT clocks - wiring is the same for the tacho sensor, just a different signal transmitted. Probably the sensor in the gearbox or possibly plugged into the wrong place or something. You can check continuity as it comes out on one of the OBD plug pins infact, I'll find out in a sec which pin it is.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I can post out a spare sensor if you want known working just incase. I also tried a phase 1 and phase 2 wiring harness as i had them lying about. I suspect its the wire between the connector and the dash one is diffrent

Thanks given by:
I seriously doubt it is, as long as it's using a Ph2 wiring loom on the engine, it should be the same pin, otherwise the loom back from the engine bay chassis plugs would change between petrols and diesels, which we know it doesn't as you can put an HDi into a Ph2 DT and it works fine (if you use ph2 petrol or ph3 petrol/hdi clocks).
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
See this confuses me as the rev counter worked in the hdi fine. The engine was from one of mine with a working rev counter and the clocks were from one with a working rev counter. This being said doesnt mean one hasnt gone faulty

Thanks given by:
Wanna know the best solution?

Use some non rev counter NAD clocks and be done with it Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2017, 11:47 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Wanna know the best solution?

Use some non rev counter NAD clocks and be done with it Big Grin

How many RPMs is it doing?

10 past 2 - fantastic.
Thanks given by:
quarter to 4k!
Thanks given by:
Great to see you back in a 306 Chris!

On the subject of rev counter, it seems a bit of an odd one on the xud conversions on the hdi's. When we did jimbo's back a few years ago we never managed to get his rev counter to work. With that we had phase 2 dt clocks and used a brand new flywheel sensor.
Thanks given by:
Out of interest is it supposed to run off the sensor that points at the back of the flywheel or the top of the flywheel?
Thanks given by:
Nice to see another car on the forum live on (for now haha), what happened to the 406 Coupe Chris? Looked nice.
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2017, 09:33 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Out of interest is it supposed to run off the sensor that points at the back of the flywheel or the top of the flywheel?

Back of flywheel on these man.
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2017, 10:21 AM)MY95 Wrote: Nice to see another car on the forum live on (for now haha), what happened to the 406 Coupe Chris? Looked nice.

Do you mean the 406 estate I've just scrapped or the 406 coupe I got rid of 4 years ago?
Thanks given by:
She's now running on KTC veg from Asda as it's actually cheaper than Costco at £3.80 for 5l (76p/l).
Here she is having a fuel up at home, topped the tank off with diesel and calculated it at 41mpg.

Fitted a pair of Bosch wipers which made me realise how bad the old ones were.

Also got myself a set of Team Heko wind deflectors.

Got my R-Spec 35 psi boost gauge fitted, not had a chance to drive her like this yet but very excited to have something a bit more readable.

Finally my glove box lock jammed and nothing would get it open so ended up snapping it, I now have a nice sliding latch that holds it shut nice and tight, not the prettiest but certainly effective.

I really need to do something about cooling. I took it flat out up a hill which I like to test cars on as it's a straight steep drag for about a third of a mile. Anyway in just that drag the water temp went from about 75*C to 100*C and after I let off I couldn't go near the throttle without coaling as it was so heat soaked. Hit 1.7bar in 4th gear though (on the old gauge). Cant decide if it's worth paying out for an Xantia inlet to FMIC it of I'm planning on going XUD11. Also pondering a larger alloy radiator as if I'm taking it apart I might as well do all the parts together.
Thanks given by: