Recommend an Angle Grinder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend an Angle Grinder
Hi Guys,

I need an angle grinder literally just to cut through 3mm steel which is part of the mounting kit for some trailer suspension units that are too large for my current trailer. I dont want the best thing but equally i dont want something to kill me. I dont really like using them.

So yeh, what can you recommend?

Sam
Thanks given by:
Cant reccomend a bosch professional unit enough. Havent found something that is as reliable and easy to use as of yet.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
A decent Makita isn't expensive and will still be going in 20 years time, get one with a side paddle switch not dead mans triggers so you can use it one handed.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Can't recommend my Makita 9" enough especially with a diamond disc.
Anyone who's used it will concur that it is an absolute beast with so much torque that it'll try and tear itself out of your hands.
Thanks given by:
loosely related;
wht's a suitable disk for cutting tarmac please?
I've a small and std size a/g handy.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
I swear by Makita 18v lithium kit. I've got most body's, the grinder i use often and it's brilliant.

If your only going to use it one week or twice just buy the cheapest you can find?
Thanks given by:
i purposely use a 110v bosch grinder spins slower makes a nicer cut. Also have a ryobi 18v grinder for scrap yards and linsher work. I also have a speed variable grinder for wire wheeling. Plus a few more grinders dotted around lol
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Lidl.... Sometimes
Thanks given by:
Ive got two. A sealey one for cutting and a non brand cheapy for linishing my shite welding. Just cause im to lazy to swap discs. Had the non brand one for years has never broke used almost every other day in the trade. Sealey on ive had two. Admitidly i burnt the last one out cutting up 12mm steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Bosch, always Bosch.
Forget Makita if you buy a 4". Their 9" grinders are good but the smaller ones don't last.
I am a bricky, part of my job is grinding out old mortar and replacing it. This job is tough on grinders. I have a bosch that I bought new,13 years ago that is still in daily service. I've seen at least 5 Makita ones die in that period.
Buy a Bosch professional range and you will never need another one in your lifetime.

ETA. Makita 9" grinders are brilliant, I have a 16 year old one still in daily service.
It's just the smaller ones that are shite.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
We've never managed to kill the 4.5" Makita's, there's one down the workshop that's 15+ years old!
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
You say you don't like using them but as soon as you have one you'll always be using it
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 06:52 PM)allye Wrote: You say you don't like using them but as soon as you have one you'll always be using it

not when you have a plasma cutter Wink
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 06:53 PM)Stef205 Wrote:
(21-02-2017, 06:52 PM)allye Wrote: You say you don't like using them but as soon as you have one you'll always be using it

After I get a compressor this will be my next purchase.
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 06:55 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(21-02-2017, 06:53 PM)Stef205 Wrote:

After I get a compressor this will be my next purchase.

bought one to cut rust out the 106 so much win!
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Thanks given by:
You need a grinder to tidy up the edge from the plasma cutter...
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 06:48 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: We've never managed to kill the 4.5" Makita's, there's one down the workshop that's 15+ years old!
The new ones just aren't as good. I've seen many fail at young ages.
Yours sounds like a good one from the old days.
Hitachi also make decent grinders, or used to. I don't have any experience of a new one but I have an ancient 4" and used plenty of 9" ones at work.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 04:54 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: loosely related;

Generally a tarmac specific diamond disc is best, a standard mason art disc will work just fine but will wear out a lot quicker, that's what I found with using a stihl saw Smile
Thanks given by:
Screwfix do cheap ones as does argos. I got an corded argos cheapo drill, seems to get through the stuff ive asked it too .
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 09:50 PM)Chris306 Wrote:

Generally a tarmac specific diamond disc is best, a standard mason art disc will work just fine but will wear out a lot quicker, that's what I found with using a stihl saw Smile

thank you.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 10:11 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

thank you.
No worries :Smileone thing I forgot put was that if you use water while cutting to cut dust down but will also help the disc last that little bit longer Smile
Thanks given by:
Another bosch recommendation here, I bought mine after killing several cheap ones years ago for £45 and it's yet to skip a beat.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 10:20 PM)Chris306 Wrote:
(21-02-2017, 10:11 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

thank you.
No worries :Smileone thing I forgot put was that if you use water while cutting to cut dust down but will also help the disc last that little bit longer Smile

We're talking electric grinders here. I wouldn't introduce any water.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Diamond discs should always be cooled with a little water if you want them to last at all.
Thanks given by:
Seen cheap ones last years, and bosch ones fail quickly - also vice versa!

If you're not doing much a cheap one will do, and get some decent discs. Screwfix normally have excellent prices on both.

Find it preferable to have one with a switch on the side.
Thanks given by:
Was sold a Metabo grinder last time my bosch one died, had it 5-6 years now, and gets death (mixed farm / auto workshop). Never had an issue, been a great grinder would buy another.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Another Bosch recommendation here. I bought a cheapo 4.5" £20 grinder that went on fire the first time i used it with a wire wheel lmao

Waited for B&Q to have a good discount sale and got a Bosch 4.5" for £25 and its done plenty of work without fault Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
I generally like bosch kit, but must say, I wouldn't recommend in this case, given we went through THREE bosch grinders in less than a year before buying the other! Mind you the Metabo looks to be based around a bosch design imo.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Metabo/milwakee are my preference for fabrication work, they take some serious abuse and the only problems I've encountered are the cables coming loose which is an easy repair.
I don't rate any new makita kit as I've broken about 4 of them now, always broken gears.

Hitachi or bosch is also great but for my site jobs (where it's more likely to go missing) I use a b&q unbranded 4" and that's been issue free for several years now.

With tools I prefer to buy decent, buy once Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
there's two types of makita kit, cheaply manufactured high profit stuff sold by the likes of b&q etc.

and the higher end pro kit like the lxt units.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Laser Torque Angle Gauge Toms306 18 3,029 21-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Niall
  Angle grinders in Aldi Flynn 23 6,824 19-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb