Networking wizards - help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Networking wizards - help
So recently got a BT smart hub installed and working.

There are 3 access points for the router/hub in the house - 2 in the lounge, one in the master bedroom.

The office has no network point - so, i got these TP link 600mbs to get internet in the office on my desktop/gaming pc. First 'plug' is in the same extension block as the router, the second (receiver) is in the mains wall plug in the office.

It connects fine...most of the time but occasionally get this when loading up a web browser on the desktop:

Steady orange light
[Image: hub6_orangelight.png]
The Hub is working but isn't connected to the internet - this takes about two minutes
Connect a device to your Hub using a cable or wi-fi. Open a web browser and follow the on-screen help wizard to get connected

Fine, give it time, it reconnects the router to the internet and away we go BUT what it's not letting me do is connect to my games - all MMO games flag up saying 'check internet connection. Would i need to add port exceptions for the games? Or would there be an underlying issue with the way the computer is connect to the router?

Any help would be great.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
so there should be an ip you can hit in your browser to then config ips etc. I only discovered mine had it the other day so I reckon it may be blocking certain things. Check the manual?
Thanks given by:
i have just swopped too bt and was having a few issues try doing this as its solved most of my problems also check parental controls on the hub i just turned all mine off

Open a web browser on any computer or device connected to your Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager.
Select Advanced Settings:
Enter the admin password. If you haven't changed it the you will find the default password on your Hub settings card on the back of your Hub.
Select Continue to Advanced Settings
Select Home Network > Smart Setup
Select No to disable Smart Setup & select Apply
Thanks given by:
Also the tp links really need to be in a mains socket on the wall not in a extension lead they don't like them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I would start by unplugging it from the extension and put both tp links in to the wall then try it like that before you changing your settings on the router.

Thanks given by:
^^ Never use them in extension sockets, always a main socket.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2017, 10:08 PM)vincent1 Wrote: i have just swopped too bt and was having a few issues try doing this as its solved most of my problems also check parental controls on the hub i just turned all mine off

Open a web browser on any computer or device connected to your Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager.
Select Advanced Settings:
Enter the admin password. If you haven't changed it the you will find the default password on your Hub settings card on the back of your Hub.
Select Continue to Advanced Settings
Select Home Network > Smart Setup
Select No to disable Smart Setup & select Apply

Many thanks - will try below then the above!

(07-02-2017, 03:46 PM)mattbarker32 Wrote: Also the tp links really need to be in a mains socket on the wall not in a extension lead they don't like them.

I would start by unplugging it from the extension and put both tp links in to the wall then try it like that before you changing your settings on the router.

Thanks - will try that now Smile
Thanks given by:
Smart setup as vincent said is the issue 99% of the time, as for the connection dropping, get onto bt about that but ensure all internal wiring is correct etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
UPDATE on this - I put the sender in the mains rather than an extension and seems to have fixed the issue!
Thanks given by:
Glad it fixed the issue pal. Hope that's the last of the trouble for you. If not give me a shout will try and help if I can. Getting a dab hand at them now as got a few of these on the go now.

Thanks given by:
(11-02-2017, 08:43 PM)mattbarker32 Wrote: Glad it fixed the issue pal. Hope that's the last of the trouble for you. If not give me a shout will try and help if I can. Getting a dab hand at them now as got a few of these on the go now.

Much appreciated! Thanks! 
I think this will be the only cabled unit in the house now - the rest is all wireless.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Software wizards - dieing PC ginge191 5 1,388 30-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Last Post: ginge191
  For the PC wizards... DavidA 4 1,087 01-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Last Post: DavidA
  Techno wizards pdf/powerpoint help ginge191 35 4,770 13-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Last Post: ginge191