Pressure loss after intercooler install.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure loss after intercooler install.
Hi does anyone have a idea what the standard boost pressure will be at the inlet elbow after a intercooler install just finished mine and I'm getting 10 psi reading. Am I right in thinking standard would be around 13 psi and would you say a loss of 3 psi is about right. I just wondering if I have a leak can't hear or see anything. Cheers for any advice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
depends on the efficiency of the IC and intake temps etc... i was able to achieve a nice 25psi at the inlet elbow.. i estimate this was a loss of about 10% from the turbo
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I'd make a shout on boost leak
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Standard boost is 14psi-ish. Loss of 1-2 psi is normal, depends how well the install is built. You might see 3-4psi loss if there are enough issues - eg the intercooler is a twin-pass, pipes are too big, bends to tight, step changes in pipe diameter, etc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The Intercooler is a single pass 2.5 outlet. Only reduce it down to 2 inch to go down the side of the rad. Then it stays that size. No unnecessary bends. Looks like I going to have to get under the old girl and check it all. I still need to do the mbc anyway but wanted to make sure it was working right before I continued. Any tips on doing it any easy ways bar from get plenty of plasters.

Thanks given by:
I'd say that's pretty standard behaviour tbh at least on a fair few S2 HDi's i've seen. Unless it's audibly leaking or leaking substantially more I'd not worry about it, if it's bad enough it'll become really obvious once you increase the boost.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Think there's definitely a leak no really power under boost doesn't want to get up and go. Looks like it's a good like some where. Cheers for all the advice guys. Leak hunting it is.

Thanks given by:
Right found the leak sorted that out but still only doing 10psi so think that's it's new Base line. My question is would a 3 psi drop make it feel even slower than normal. It used to pick up at 1500 rpm just doesn't do that anymore. Feels very gutless. Or is there something I am missing. Haven't had chance to do the mbc as I can't get my hands in. Does undoing the lower engine mount really make that much difference so you can get in by moving the engine forward. Sorry for all the questions have read various feeds just a bit confused now. Any help would be great fully appreciated.

Thanks given by:
Could be a dead maf. Are you sure the boost gauge is accurate?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers poodle just unplugged the maf and it's back to normal and the boost is now reading 12psi as well. So good shout on the maf pal thanks. Next job is the lovely mbc fitting I have pm you about some tips but don't know if you got it as sent it from my phone. Cheers anyway.

Thanks given by:
Ha awesome, good to hear you've solved it. I haven't got the pm, but i'm no expert on fitting mbcs anyway. I have a feeling there is a guide on it, if that helps at all.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDI Power Loss daveygravey 13 2,697 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM