Cerium oxide glass polish and antiglare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cerium oxide glass polish and antiglare
Right, my pug has the original Peugeot abrogate windscreen fitted.

But it also has wiper haze from years of use..

I have used cerium oxide a few times in the past with exceptional results on various windscreens but none of them have had a coating of any kind..

Safe or not or will it take off the coating?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Not sure, I thought the anti glare coating was bonded between the layers? Might be wrong tho, I'd be surprised if it was on the outer surface with the wipers against it all the time...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
You should be fine, I don't know the science side of it but I used to use 'Glass medic repair finish polish' at AG which is brutal but works amazingly, used to use it on all sorts without an issue.

The coatings I'm 99.9% sure are on the other piece of glass so the internal side of the car so you've got the outer layer & the laminate to polish through first... Disclaimer: Not my fault if you bugger it up though..
Thanks given by:
Jordan...being our detail guru and on this sort of subject...anything to use on lexan?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2016, 12:31 PM)Piggy Wrote: Jordan...being our detail guru and on this sort of subject...anything to use on lexan?

So lexan is a similar material to what a lot of headlights are made from so I imagine the same sort of thing people use on headlights would work well.

Is it scratched or cloudy? 

I've heard people in the past say that for the best results you need to sand lexan but I'd be very cautious of it myself.

Personally I'd try the old toothpaste trick, try on an area out the way.. give it a good rub to get some heat generated & then buff to see what difference it's made.. Usually works quite well.

You basically want a very light abrasive substance on it, nothing harsh.

HTH
Thanks given by:
Lexan is waaay softer than headlights. Its scratches. Really easily.
A friend used a softheaded window cleaning brush on the rear window without me knowing...scratched to hell.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2016, 01:03 PM)Piggy Wrote: Lexan is waaay softer than headlights. Its scratches. Really easily.
A friend used a softheaded window cleaning brush on the rear window without me knowing...scratched to hell.

Ah I see, I've not had much experience with that sort of thing other than temporarily perspexing minibuses ETC! 

I imagine in that case some sort of soft top rear window polish would be ideal. There's a brand called Renovo that do a soft top window polish I believe, may be worth a shot Smile
Thanks given by:
try something light like SRP, if it scratched that easily I guess its not one of the scratch or particularly UV resistant types so it'll be pretty soft.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Thanks chaps...sorry for thread hack... Seemed relevant and saves me doing a seperate thread.
Also curious about polishing windscreens as the 206 screen is looking old from wiper sweep
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Evening mate - did get your FB message but been out on a job all day.

If you have access to a DA, i'd use this and a fine compound with a relatively soft pad combination on a low setting. Anything which isn't too abrasive is what i'd recommend. Most light grade polished would suffice on glass - i've never had issues using "paint" polish on glass if this is what you already have. If not, there're many specific glass polishes out there on the market. Clean my car will stock a load i'd expect.

Keep us posted with how you get on!

Oh and prep the windscreen WELL before you do anything, inclduing the rubber sills as if anything gets caught when polishing, you'll cause more damage than it's worth!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Nooo don't use a normal pad on the windscreen! Get a Rayon pad if you're going to use a machine polisher, no matter how hot you don't think it is, it'll be too much.
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2016, 08:02 AM)hotrodjacko Wrote: Nooo don't use a normal pad on the windscreen! Get a Rayon pad if you're going to use a machine polisher, no matter how hot you don't think it is, it'll be too much.

A normal pad being.....?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2016, 08:32 AM)ginge191 Wrote: A normal pad being.....?

A foam pad as per normal polishing, well I think they aren't good. My dad thought he could have a go at polishing out a scratch on the windscreen and ended up needing a whole new screen after he f*cked it. To be fair I don't think his technique was up to scratch, but yeah...
Thanks given by:
I certainly wouldn't recommend a foam pad on Lexan or anything other than paint & potentially a soft one on glass.

Honestly on Lexan I'd try a soft top window product, a friend of mine recommended something called 'Plexus' and swears by it.
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2016, 01:25 PM)1616six Wrote: I certainly wouldn't recommend a foam pad on Lexan or anything other than paint & potentially a soft one on glass.

Honestly on Lexan I'd try a soft top window product, a friend of mine recommended something called 'Plexus' and swears by it.

Silvo worked an absolute wonder on the vitara rear window,
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2016, 01:25 PM)1616six Wrote: I certainly wouldn't recommend a foam pad on Lexan or anything other than paint & potentially a soft one on glass.

This man knows. Could also use a mild paint cleaner, when I used to keep Porsche's clean we used Zymol paint cleaner on the rear window screens and used a microfiber cloth to rub it in with a bit of bite. Came up a treat.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to polish a turd :) Redordead89 2 1,094 26-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Redordead89
  Best Spray on Instant Shine / Polish silverzx 10 3,901 22-07-2015, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Iceman299
  clearing up glass....and cops with sticky fingers Piggy 20 6,948 12-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Piggy