Proctas Defender

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proctas Defender
well lads here is my Defender 300 TDI that i just bought yesterday,
this is it before it had side windows put in, i know there are not everyone's cup Tea but who cares.
Only car really that i found to be as good as the 306 is, its been 10 years since i bought a decent car, and that's been the 306.  i did look at these the beginning of the year, and i thought why not go for it, after pouring shite loads of money into a car that wont play ball. 
It needs a few things doing but I will work through that with help with my dad. This is my new daily now, The 306 has become a pool car, and it will be getting a lot more love,  that car is too good to get shot.  
[Image: s-l16006_zpseroyrkb9.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's cool, really clean for the year.

What needs doing to it?

Oh and they are the same tyres as on the front of mine and I quite like them.
Thanks given by:
https://www.landroverexpedition.com/tech...ant-alarm/

First project for your new toy Smile
Thanks given by:
Nice one. How much was it? They always seem silly expensive to me.
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 05:59 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: That's cool, really clean for the year.

What needs doing to it?

Oh and they are the same tyres as on the front of mine and I quite like them.

cheers dum dum,  this one was the best out of 5 we looked at.  It needs the brakes looking at one is sticking it was "sorted", also a few odds and sods like switches and interior seats need changing, Also I will getting shot of the wheels at some point, the car is quite skittish now and again with those on.  I am going to put proper defender wheels back on.  But part from that its a bit of a honey! I need to bin off that EGR valve too.  If there is enough interest i will do a project thread.

(04-12-2016, 06:05 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Nice one. How much was it? They always seem silly expensive to me.

The value has jumped up since they went out of production, This one was going for 7 and half, it wasnt the one i went to look at. Got to say there are some right sheds out there for more! the one i looked at for nearly 9k was a right shed, only had 65k on the clock, but it was shed sadly, this one has done nearly 120k and is newer than the one i looked at too. Plus it was cheaper, after getting a rear seat and windows fitted we were at 8k.

(04-12-2016, 06:03 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: https://www.landroverexpedition.com/tech...ant-alarm/

First project for your new toy Smile

i will look at that one!
Thanks given by:
8k... Is that 1000???? 8,000???

My life. I should have bought some a few years back!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
yeah £8000, like I said they really have jumped up now, I was after the TD5 but that become to far out for me price wise sadly. the 200 TDI what my dad has, are harder to get hold of now, most have been bought up and the 300 TDi is going that way too.
Thanks given by:
Yeah Piggy, Defenders (especially the 90s) are going up and up and up. There is such a massive scene for them at the moment that the prices have gone daft.

You could say it isn't worth that money and certainly, if you compare it to something that isn't a defender, it isn't worth the money but as it is a defender they'll keep going up in money so you can consider it an investment.
Thanks given by:
They have always been a massive scene on them, its due to the plug been pulled on them that they have really flew up in price, land rovers series 1 up to present models have always been investments and never really dropped off value. That's going back before my dad bought his, reason why I bought one, there just isn't anything out there really that is all that.
The dealer told me that he had a massive rush on for the 110s and then a mad rush for the 90s. when I was there another fella came in and looked at a Series 1 I think, they came back and bought it and also bought another one. Which happened to be the second best one out of the 5 I looked at.
Thanks given by:
Very nice, 300's were always my favourite,

Wolf rims
pump tweek
larger intercooler
hybrid turbo
disco transfer box
=
Job Jobbed
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 09:12 PM)BashRacing Wrote: Very nice, 300's were always my favourite,

Wolf rims
pump tweek
larger intercooler
hybrid turbo
disco transfer box
=
Job Jobbed

This one seems more refined than my dads 200 TDI, and he found the gear box is smoother, Not sure what i will do with it yet, but I will doing a few things at some point.
Thanks given by:
Even before the ceasation of production they held their resale value about 30% higher than an equivalent vehicle that wasnt a defender..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 09:24 PM)procta Wrote: This one seems more refined than my dads 200 TDI, and he found the gear box is smoother, Not sure what i will do with it yet, but I will doing a few things at some point.

They were much more refined that was the whole aim for the 300 engineers,
You certainly won't be short of ideas for modifications if you buy LRO mag

My old 300 had 185hp, disco box and did 120mph (when on private land obviously) 
the prices are strong now, so much so that the father in law has just spent £20k having his s plate 300 fully stripped refurbed to as new condition due to future investment value.
Thanks given by:
Definitely a worthwhile investment with the current rate of value, I know a few people who have bought them recently as an investment. Looks pretty tidy
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Nice!
but for gods sake secure it of you wont have it long these are being stolen quicker than the OBD Fords around here

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 09:37 PM)BashRacing Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 09:24 PM)procta Wrote: This one seems more refined than my dads 200 TDI, and he found the gear box is smoother, Not sure what i will do with it yet, but I will doing a few things at some point.

They were much more refined that was the whole aim for the 300 engineers,
You certainly won't be short of ideas for modifications if you buy LRO mag

My old 300 had 185hp, disco box and did 120mph (when on private land obviously) 
the prices are strong now, so much so that the father in law has just spent £20k having his s plate 300 fully stripped refurbed to as new condition due to future investment value.

Can you Pm me on what you did to get 185 bhp?

(04-12-2016, 09:44 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Definitely a worthwhile investment with the current rate of value, I know a few people who have bought them recently as an investment. Looks pretty tidy
They said that about the classic range rover years ago, and look at the value of those now! It is tidy for its age, a few things need to replaced and looked, but that's about it.  I never looked owning one as an investment, but as a daily. I hope it will be with me for a hell of a long time as i do plan to do a rebuild some time with it.

(04-12-2016, 09:48 PM)cully Wrote: Nice!
but for gods sake secure it of you wont have it long these are being stolen quicker than the OBD Fords around here

1st think i did was buy a disklok for it, and i am going to do somthing else too, just for extra measure.
Thanks given by:
I do like these, but these must be dog slow and poor on fuel, for 8k theres so many other nice cars out there. But nice purchase Smile
Thanks given by:
http://www.allisport.com/shop/performanc...bocharger/

variable nozzle turbo (Mine was a hybrid but the vnt is better) 
Bigger injector nozzles
modded pump
alisport intercooler kit

or fit a 2.8 tgv international version of the 300tdi
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 10:04 PM)MY95 Wrote: I do like these, but these must be dog slow and poor on fuel, for 8k theres so many other nice cars out there. But nice purchase Smile

They are not really dog slow or poor on fuel either, i think its close to what the 306 is, the TD5 ones are known to be thirsty. Yeah there are nice cars out there for the money but can you really say they have character or easy to work on?  These are just large meccano set really, rivets, screws, nuts and bolts, alu, steel  ,basic wiring, rubber and glass.

(04-12-2016, 10:09 PM)BashRacing Wrote: http://www.allisport.com/shop/performanc...bocharger/

variable nozzle turbo (Mine was a hybrid but the vnt is better) 
Bigger injector nozzles
modded pump
alisport intercooler kit

or fit a 2.8 tgv international version of the 300tdi

What was the MPG out of that?
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 09:48 PM)cully Wrote: Nice!

1st think i did was buy a disklok for it, and i am going to do somthing else too, just for extra measure.
[/quote]

Mate a disclock won't do shit. For a start alot of the ones I've seen can be removed in seconds if you aren't worried about causing a little damage. Best bet is if you have a driveway decent raising bollards concreted into the ground and positioned so that the defender can't be removed without removing the bollards. Also GPS trackers are CHEAP now.
Thanks given by:
I thought diskloks were the things to have? tracker will be on the cards too.
Thanks given by:
30mpg cruising
10mpg making progress
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 10:43 PM)BashRacing Wrote: 30mpg cruising
10mpg making progress

I have read that tuning these doesn't really effect the MPG, also binning off that EGR valve is a must too.

WTF is the new custom title about? Mandrake the Magician?? What's that got to do with me or defender??
Thanks given by:
There's been an increase in those things going missing round here. If it was mine and knowing how easily they are stripped I'd be buying a bottle of Smart Water and putting the stickers on each window. There's been a highly successful campaign in my village, so far it's doing it's job well as a deterrent.
Personally I'd be going for some sort of handbrake/brake lock if left for any length of time too. Also amazes me how many people never engage a steering lock when leaving a car. If the steering lock is pre-engaged no-one can just slide hammer the thing out FFS!
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 11:32 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: There's been an increase in those things going missing round here. If it was mine and knowing how easily they are stripped I'd be buying a bottle of Smart Water and putting the stickers on each window. There's been a highly successful campaign in my village, so far it's doing it's job well as a deterrent.
Personally I'd be going for some sort of handbrake/brake lock if left for any length of time too. Also amazes me how many people never engage a steering lock when leaving a car. If the steering lock is pre-engaged no-one can just slide hammer the thing out FFS!

That's one thing i always do and that's pre engage the steering lock,  I have an idea on something to at least help keep it safe. It saved the day with the metro too.

(04-12-2016, 11:32 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: There's been an increase in those things going missing round here. If it was mine and knowing how easily they are stripped I'd be buying a bottle of Smart Water and putting the stickers on each window. There's been a highly successful campaign in my village, so far it's doing it's job well as a deterrent.

That's one thing i always do and that's pre engage the steering lock,  I have an idea on something to at least help keep it safe. It saved the day with the metro too.
Thanks given by:
cruising mpg won't be massively affected, but as with everything if you want more power you need more coal to go in.

Egr is just a blanking plate job,

as for security I find bypassing the power supply from the ignition barrel to the starter motor and directing through a 5 pin relay to the horn with a hidden switch that you have to press to supply the stater instead makes theives give up pretty sharpish.
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 11:45 PM)BashRacing Wrote: cruising mpg won't be massively affected, but as with everything if you want more power you need more coal to go in.

Egr is just a blanking plate job,

as for security I find bypassing the power supply from the ignition barrel to the starter motor and directing through a 5 pin relay to the horn with a hidden switch that you have to press to supply the stater instead makes theives give up pretty sharpish.

I will look at that one too for security, i am already researching stuff now for it.
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2016, 11:16 PM)procta Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 10:43 PM)BashRacing Wrote: 30mpg cruising
10mpg making progress

I have read that tuning these doesn't really effect the MPG, also binning off that EGR valve is a must too.

WTF is the new custom title about? Mandrake the Magician?? What's that got to do with me or defender??

think about it lol, it has everything to do with both Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Nice 90! Miss the old 200Tdi one we had, was a good truck. Not got anything on coils these days, just old Series stuff but I love the things!

As above, keep it safe. So many of these going walkies now.
Thanks given by:
Nice....

So....

Whens the cummins going in then? Tongue
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proctas Address? Eeyore 7 4,681 03-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31