206 hdi no power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
206 hdi no power
Recently bought the missus a 206. I know it's not a 306 but a 206 2.0l hdi is the same dw10 engine in the 306 I presume.

The car is definitely slower than my 306. Seems like the turbo isn't kicking in until 3rd gear.

Pulling off in 1st It has nothing! Second is not much better.

No fault codes are coming up, it's had a full service and I've replaced the maf.

Lp pump is priming and seems fine.

It has an erratic idle on start up and the fault is intermittent.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to look for?

I will be checking the crank sensor and the turbo,wastegate, egr this week. What else could be causing the loss of power.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Clean the MAF...
Thanks given by:
Had a new maf no difference

Thanks given by:
bloked exhaust , vac leack
Thanks given by:
Get it on diagnostics. Even not mapped these go better than a 306.

Was the new maf, a "new" maf? And genuine item?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If the maf was a genuine siemens vdo jobby then i'd be checking the fuel filter.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Could be blocked cat or egr I suppose.

I have tried 2 maf sensors however they were second hand. But when I bought the car I'm pretty sure the previous owner has had it replaced also.

£70-100 for a Siemens one is a lot unless I know it will fix the problem.

When unplugging the maf there isn't really any difference in how it drives. I would expect a fault to come up.

I'll take it to Peugeot next week to plug it in.

I've also replaced the fuel filter with a new Bosche one.

Thanks given by:
I got a genuine VDO MAF from Eurocarcare online a few year ago for £45 posted, sure its still that price also.
Thanks given by:
Some have suggested perhaps a blocked exhaust, does it "fizz" when the throttle is floored ?

Get someone to control the throttle while you look/listen/feel the exhaust coming form the back, it will be a hot gas so be careful.

If blocked they tend to make a fizzing noise as the gas is fighting it way out.

How is the air filter?
Thanks given by:
I will do tomorrow it's a pain as the missus needs it for work and I work till late.

New air filter as it had a service a few weeks ago.

Thanks given by:
has it got the Air Doser inlet on it? Vac pipe split to that and causing it to stay shut or something?

Though I presume that it defaults to Open if a pipe split though. I'm not sure. Maybe worth a look though
Thanks given by:
I'll take some pics. Have a proper look tomorrow. It's going on pp at the weekend.

Cheers for the suggestions

Thanks given by:
If there is no difference when you unplug the maf you almost certainly need a new one. Second hand sensors are a bit of a false economy, especially with all of the engines they're fitted to being more than 10 years old now lol. Unplugging the maf will have caused a fault code, but it won't light the EML except on the really early cars (T-reg). Everything you have said points to the maf.

You'll know if the cat is blocked as it will struggle to rev even unloaded and you will be heavily down on power. Yet to see one of these with a blocked cat. Open egr, jammed air-doser, etc will cause more power loss higher up the gears (when more air is required/back-pressure produced), not so much in first and second.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The cars going on pp today. I have a feeling the previous owner got faults up and just had them cleared before he sold it hence nothing showing up.

I'm looking at £60-70 for a new maf but I will get one if it shows up.

I have seen an improvement since it's had a service but it's annoying because it's intermittent.

When pulling off from junctions it sometimes hesitates and threatens stalling or cutting out. Once taken out of gear a few times it returns to normal.?

Also cruising it will suddenly accelerate with constant throttle hold.

We will see today what the diagnostics say...

Thanks given by:
Ooohh. That sounds more FPS/reg to me. Poodle hopefully or ruan be around to say I'm not right
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ok well that's rather different, could be fpr or tps. There is a known issue with the tps and maf sharing an earth and affecting one another when the earth gets crusty. Maybe worth looking into.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well it's been on pp this weekend and no faults came up at all. I have driven it and it was fine then this morning it took 3 turns to start. Then reversed out of the drive put it in first to pull off and it wouldn't move. Took it out of gear a few times and then pulled off.

I will check the earth you mentioned poodle.

I would think the tps/reg or maf issue would flag up though...

With the power issue maybe im just expecting more of a kick. It's 'ok' but feels like it revs the same through the rev range like a petrol and can only feel the turbo when it gets to 3rd gear.

Thanks given by:
Hang on, what does the rev counter do when all this is happening? If it revs up without speed going up then you need a clutch. Is there a whirring noise that stops when you put your foot on the clutch pedal?

With regards to fault codes, none of those issues will necessarily bring up a fault. Use the live data to check readings from the maf, fpr duty cycle and both throttle position sensors outputs and compare against the expected values. I can't remember what those values should be, it's detailed in a guide or two somewhere.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No I doubt it's the clutch. No noise from the bearing or slipping.

It doesn't rev; it's hesitating to rev. Foot is down but the throttle is not responding. Out of gear, back in same thing. Third time it responded.

Again pulling off at junctions it does the same. Its like it wants to stall. Quite dangerous if for example pulling on to a roundabout.

Right well I didn't see the data myself but I will find what it should be reading and get it back on to pp to try and find something. I didn't think of that with the live data. Cheers fella

Thanks given by:
Does this have the throttle sensor in engine bay or under dash.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
no expert but with problems ive had with engines with power loss was dirt in fuel tank/ carb / injectors, maybe previous owner was buying fuel from scrap yard.
Thanks given by:
Right ok, misunderstood what you were saying there. TPS is looking very likely, start there.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Bring it in to me and I'll tell you what's wrong pretty quickly.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2016, 07:36 PM)pro_steve Wrote: Bring it in to me and I'll tell you what's wrong pretty quickly.

Where are you located?

Thanks given by:
I dont know what this hdi has turbo? intercooler? but on 307 hdi intercooled i had this surging at part throttle and strange revving at idle problem it was a wire to the MAP sensor was broken making an intermittent connection.
Thanks given by:
No intercooler but there's a few things I need to check this weekend. Wiring and earths will be one

Thanks given by:
No intercooler or map sensor on these. Steve is in Bristol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So after being busy I now have pp2000 again but don't know what I'm looking for really. I've been reading multiple forums to try and sort this problem.

The car has now started playing up from cold starts in the mornings. Won't fire and there is erratic idle when it does start. This makes me think the glow plugs may need looking at. However the problem is still intermittent. Today it started first time fine.

As far as diagnostics goes, what am I looking for with live data?

I've had a maf fault come up now so put the original sensor back on and the code has cleared.

I then drove the car and was getting 850 ish max under load at 3000rpm which then settled around 450 when holding revs in 3rd gear.

The only thing that I noticed was that the egr read nothing. Only moved to 12% when changing gear then back to 0.

What other figures should I be looking at? Advice appreciated.

Thanks given by:
Another update, the maf fault has come up again so looks like I will be buying a new maf to sort out the power issue.

With the starting issue I have put a bosche fuel filter in today and found gold filings in the bottom of the housing so presume the LP pump is eating itself.

Will hopefully have this sorted this week.

Can I use the pump from the 306 i.e. Swap over to fault find?

Thanks given by:
Gold filings is not lift pump. Have you tried the tps yet? How about cleaning the fpr? Those maf readings look about right.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: