Ratchet axle stands

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ratchet axle stands
Anyone use them? I know they are quite popular and I've used them before round other peoples. I've recently bought these ones - http://www.sgs-engineering.com/jsr2-axle-stands 

Got 4 stands and a low profile jack for £70 inc postage which I was pretty happy with. 

I know they've been designed for the purpose and theres a lifetime warranty, but it does bug me that all the weight must be going through a ~4mm roll pin in the cam. This doesn't seem much compared to my ~8mm solid pin in my normal stands.

The extra safety pin that these stands have doesn't link in with the ratchet as much as I expected, I've emailed them about it and just need to send them a pic.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
would never use them again, had one fail on me. Id rather use the old pin style. Personal preference at the end of the day personally dont trust them.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Bought a ratchet set - never let me down - i've also tried 'disengaging it' whilst the car is up (and a jack on standby of course) and wouldn't budge an inch
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I'd be happy with those to work on a car like a 306. They are well over-rated for that and TUV approved. Assuming of course you haven't got one that's somehow failed to be picked up on by QC!
Thanks given by:
I regularly use and abuse this type axle stand at work, I've never had an issue. The weight isn't going to be loaded on the roll pin, it's on the framework once loaded, that pin is not load bearing. If you're using the safety locks then IMO they're just as good as the "old style" stand.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yeah I have a set of 4 of these. My goodness they are well made imo.
I would trust that everyday over my old pin type which while rated to the same 2t, I never really trusted.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I use 5 tonne ones, super high and obviously over kill!
Thanks given by:
me dad got those, and I tell you they are really good for holding a Defender! miles better than my pin jobbies,
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2016, 05:50 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: I regularly use and abuse this type axle stand at work, I've never had an issue. The weight isn't going to be loaded on the roll pin, it's on the framework once loaded, that pin is not load bearing. If you're using the safety locks then IMO they're just as good as the "old style" stand.

A certain amount of load must be going through the roll pin as its that which stops the cam turning, and its the cam that holds the ratchet bar up.
Thanks given by:
Only if you don't use the safety pins.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
It's like anything, I've managed to bend cheap axle stands by not having the weight perfectly straight down on it. I wouldn't use anything but my solid (as in non folding) old style halfords stands and personally I am looking for something even heavier duty for using under the cummins truck as there is alot of weight on the front of that.
Thanks given by:
I remember when MightCarMods used to use these axle stands made of a single square post upright, maybe 2inch or just less square welded to a flat base? Looked deadly...
Go solid welded or go home...
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2016, 04:47 PM)Stef205 Wrote: would never use them again, had one fail on me. Id rather use the old pin style. Personal preference at the end of the day personally dont trust them.

How did it actually fail Stef?
Thanks given by:
We have those exact ones at work there not bad to be honest and they have a safety lock you can insert to stop the ratchet mech from working. Also recommend the jacks again got 4 at work never had any issues and there used pretty much every day for the last two years.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  £10 axle stands lolsteve 4 1,196 11-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  Fcs changing stands dr_jekyll 11 1,824 01-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Last Post: 7057sam
  Socket and ratchet sets in Aldi £4 (DO NOT MISS OUT!!!) Flynn 22 6,079 25-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Flynn