Service parts prices LOL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service parts prices LOL
The other week I serviced the 306 ready for sale,my local ECP had some oil +filter at a good price but did not have an air filter in stock -  the weather was nice so I popped in and got the oil and filter so I could do it straight away.
Anyway that night I had a look on ebay and ordered a mann C1286/1 air filter from the ECP shop on there.

On the main ECP website the mann filter was £8.39 (before discount)
On the ECP website the same filter was £5.87 inc postage,it was coming via DHL i think - so all the way from London to perth via DHL and then actually delivered by parcelforce.

So do they accept a loss on a single sale like that ? or is the mark up on service filters etc even bigger than I thought LOL
Thanks given by:
Same filter is £3.84 on CP4L, so not only are they getting the filters much cheaper than you though, but they still managed to rip you off in the process.
Thanks given by:
I don't think they accept a loss anywhere lol!

Filters are far cheaper to manufacture than you'd think and ECP have a huge warehouse in Wembley so they can bulk buy in massive quantities as well.

Postage is also really cheap to the trade as they can bulk buy that as well.
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2016, 10:32 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: Same filter is £3.84 on CP4L, so not only are they getting the filters much cheaper than you though, but they still managed to rip you off in the process.

Including delivery ? It is the big dustbin filter !

(20-10-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I don't think they accept a loss anywhere lol!

Filters are far cheaper to manufacture than you'd think and ECP have a huge warehouse in Wembley so they can bulk buy in massive quantities as well.

Postage is also really cheap to the trade as they can bulk buy that as well.

We get ripped off everywhere LOL  Tom
Thanks given by:
We do indeed!

I was amazed when the trade postage price was on a huge box I got recently... Box was about a metre high and half a metre square, not massively heavy but there was some weight to it... £2 posted by 48hr courier!
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Filters are far cheaper to manufacture than you'd think and ECP have a huge warehouse in Wembley so they can bulk buy in massive quantities as well.

They've more than that, 2-3 around the Midlands too.
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2016, 10:57 AM)maxaret Wrote:
(20-10-2016, 10:32 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: Same filter is £3.84 on CP4L, so not only are they getting the filters much cheaper than you though, but they still managed to rip you off in the process.

Including delivery ? It is the big dustbin filter !

Yea same product code, picture and everything.
Thanks given by:
So £3.84 inc delivery to scotland - impressive Smile
Thanks given by:
Thats what the website says.

I guess they're sending millions of packages a day, so their cost per package is probably buttons.
Thanks given by:
ECP are buying up brands and manufacturers these days. Proper monopoly!
Thanks given by:

Hi R
Just out of interest I had a look on CP4L website this morning - this is the exact same make/part number filter I got from ECP ebay (I thought cp4l were the same company anyway ?)
So seems to be £6.48 on the CP4L website - some of the other type/make 306 air filters are cheaper ! 
[Image: air%20filter_zpsoaqworhe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ECP have 30% off now and GSF have a 46% sale at the minute Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2016, 06:40 AM)maxaret Wrote:

Hi R
Just out of interest I had a look on CP4L website this morning - this is the exact same make/part number filter I got from ECP ebay (I thought cp4l were the same company anyway ?)
So seems to be £6.48 on the CP4L website - some of the other type/make 306 air filters are cheaper ! 
[Image: air%20filter_zpsoaqworhe.jpg]

oh sorry I was looking at oil filers, must not have read it properly.
Thanks given by:
No probs - I was just interested in case I had missed a deal LOL - cheers max
Thanks given by:
Eurocarparts always have a sale on Undecided It's like the DFS of the car parts world. Seriously, never buy anything from them unless you are getting atleast 25% off! lol
Thanks given by:
Speaking as an ex British Leyland Main Dealer from the 70s/80s some parts have not gone up that much, just OIL !
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2016, 09:34 AM)Oldjon Wrote: Speaking as an ex British Leyland Main Dealer from the 70s/80s some parts have not gone up that much, just OIL !

Yes I try and buy oil when on offer - but have not got space to stockpile LOL
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2016, 10:17 PM)BiG K Wrote: Eurocarparts always have a sale on Undecided It's like the DFS of the car parts world. Seriously, never buy anything from them unless you are getting atleast 25% off! lol

The price online is usually different to the price in store as well.
Often if you just turn up and ask for the part the price you pay will be roughly the same to the online price + discount.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2016, 09:34 AM)Oldjon Wrote: Speaking as an ex British Leyland Main Dealer from the 70s/80s some parts have not gone up that much, just OIL !

To be fair though, improvements in Oil technology is the MAIN thing that has allowed engines to reduce in capacity, consumption and increase in power...

Oil is expensive, but for good reason - it's come a long way from where it was!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Server prices vs Desktop prices silverzx 54 11,278 23-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Last Post: procta