Nature of boost delivery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nature of boost delivery
Evening All. Hope you are all having a nice weekend.

Wondering about something. Had my ph2 Dturbo for about 6 months now, and enjoying it. One thing I can't help notice is that it differs from my last one, the ph1 xldt, in the turbo behaviour.

On the last one which had a KKK, it would start to come on boost about 2.5k ish, and from there if you floored it it would reach wastegate level (12-13psi) really quick. You could sort of do like an on/off type thing from about 3k and the guage would just shoot up to full boost really quick. This translated to a nice push from the motor.

On my current one which has a T2, it is different. Still does 12-13psi maximum, but the boost just sort of rises along with the revs - much 'gentler'. Is this just a difference between the turbos do you think?  I'll be honest, I preferred the way the old one came on boost!  This one doesn't feel as quick (probably all in the mind).

Both cars were / are standard, all tamperproof bits still in place. Also I have disconnected the EGR on the new one (just electrically), old one didn't have one. New one has CAT, old one didn't.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
yeah all the turbos give a slightly diffrent feel to each other. i prefer the little gt15. i would be inclined to "stage 1" tune it. fuel and boost up a little bit and youll be more than happy with it i reckon
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
more likely to be the differences in fuel pump than anything, phase2 will have a lucas, phase1 bosch, found the bosch pump cars to drive much nicer whatever turbo they have.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. Actually, just after posting I watched darren's stage 1 tune video. Decided to pop out and cause it's easy, just wind the boost compensator out 1 turn. I know everyone says it does nothing, but it was easy and quick etc. It has definitely improved things. Boost ramps up noticably quicker, more like the last one. Took my boy out with me in case it was just placebo effect and he agrees.

So , yes I think a mild stage 1 might be in order. I'll watch the vid again and do the max fuel and a little tweak on the wastegate tomorrow if the weather is OK. Probably put the compensator back in too, as I see from other posts that the thinking now is to screw this in for less smoke, and use the max fuel and wastegate adjustments only.

I swore I wasn't going to do this when I got the car, I shat it a bit when I realised it's a DHY, but I take it a mild stage 1 shouldn't increase risk too much ? I don't really drive the car hard anyway, just like to open it up now and again.

Oh - welshpug, the phase 1 was lucas too. Actually the phase 1 and this phase 2 are only 6 months apart in age, both 'P' plates.
Thanks given by:
The k14 wastegate isn't very good, tends to creep a little Imo, the T2 has a better setup and does feel snappier, k14 is a decent turbo though good for 130+bhp without doing much Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Related question- went out to do a stage 1 today, decided I would make sure I can get the wastegate locknut backed off before getting into the pump stuff, and I find that I can't get it to budge. Stopped for now, as the twisting force was starting to bend the brass coloured plate that the arm is attached to on the turbo.

Any tips for this other than wire brush / wd40 etc ?
Thanks given by:
You'll probably find Plusgas a better option than WD40 if you can lay your hands on any. Wire brush may not be much use tbh, unless it's one of those little toothbrush style ones. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks man. Tbh I don't know if I am going to bother. I've even put the boost compensator back in a bit, so now all I have done is wound the compensator out about 3/4 turn and it's got rid of the annoying long delay in spooling up, which was what was bothering me and detracting from my enjoyment of the car. I don't really want to hammer the car (daily that I want to last!) and with just the above done it goes well enough for me to open it up a bit and enjoy it. I'll see how I feel, might do the stage 1 at a later date. I'll get some plusgas and let it soak a bit before trying again in any case.
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2016, 05:39 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: yeah all the turbos give a slightly diffrent feel to each other. i prefer the little gt15. i would be inclined to "stage 1" tune it. fuel and boost up a little bit and youll be more than happy with it i reckon

This.

The gt15 is great fun.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
In reality your motor being a DHY wont make a bit of difference, as your only pushing a few HP more than stock. If you gutted your exchaust/had it straight through, removed the cat, removed stock filter housing and put a decent filter on intake, and fitted a bosch pump, wound your wastegate right in, you still shouldnt be concerned unless you were pushing 24-28psi, which without doing that stuff will not let you reach that kind of boost, you will just smoke everywhere and choke.

What i'm trying to say is, have at her she's not going to snap with a little tickle like that Smile go nuts. These engines are strong, especially if you're just getting into it, the gains are massive before issues hit. Remember people have ran these at +50% stock power, and not had an issue for 15k+ miles (I did 20k on a 28psi boosted DHY, before pulling the block and the rods/shells and everthing were all fine).

Be warned that the easy gains of turning up the boost can get addictive and thats when chasing 200+ hp gets to you and becomes costly :p but rest assured a stock XUD with no major mods only pump/blower tune will be far from mechanical failure levels - just watch temps thats all, dont sit on boost for extensive periods without letting it cool. Rule of thumb for me, mine would sit on 90 regarless most the time, serious ragging would creep to 95, and would pootle for couple mile to cool, and can do it all again.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2016, 04:45 AM)Dave Wrote: In reality your motor being a DHY wont make a bit of difference, as your only pushing a few HP more than stock. If you gutted your exchaust/had it straight through, removed the cat, removed stock filter housing and put a decent filter on intake, and fitted a bosch pump, wound your wastegate right in, you still shouldnt be concerned unless you were pushing 24-28psi, which without doing that stuff will not let you reach that kind of boost, you will just smoke everywhere and choke.

What i'm trying to say is, have at her she's not going to snap with a little tickle like that Smile go nuts. These engines are strong, especially if you're just getting into it, the gains are massive before issues hit. Remember people have ran these at +50% stock power, and not had an issue for 15k+ miles (I did 20k on a 28psi boosted DHY, before pulling the block and the rods/shells and everthing were all fine).

Be warned that the easy gains of turning up the boost can get addictive and thats when chasing 200+ hp gets to you and becomes costly :p but rest assured a stock XUD with no major mods only pump/blower tune will be far from mechanical failure levels - just watch temps thats all, dont sit on boost for extensive periods without letting it cool. Rule of thumb for me, mine would sit on 90 regarless most the time, serious ragging would creep to 95, and would pootle for couple mile to cool, and can do it all again.

Oooo you've tempted me !   I'll spend a bit of time getting the wastegate locknut freed off then tune the pump.
Thanks given by: