Thoughts or advice on buying high mileage hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts or advice on buying high mileage hdi
So I've seen a hdi I'm thinking about buying as a general run around for the next 12 months or so. My gf drives one and it is going fine on 170,000 plus atm.

The new car is in average condition and most niggles I can sort myself. I haven't driven it yet but will be tomorrow.

It's on 216,000 miles (which does concern me) and up for £790.
However I have got him down to £700 and £650 if I part ex my old sedan.

It started and sounded fine today although there was a slight diesel knock compared to my other car.

Rust, rear Axle, electrics etc look good.

Does anyone think £700 is too high for the mileage? I will obviously drive it and see how it goes before I make a decision but should I be looking out for anything?
Crank pulley, lift pump, cambelt issues in the future...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Given the mileage, the price does sound distinctly on the high side - I'd be realistically looking at no more than about £3-400 with that mileage on it.

The mileage wouldn't necessarily put me off providing that there's plenty of evidence that it's been well cared for, but it would need to be priced right because it's almost unsellable - to Joe Public, over 200k miles means that the car is effectively worthless.

Gut feeling is that if you've got that sort of money to spend then you can do better given how long prices are for even tidy, sensible mileage cars at the moment.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the input, after thinking about it I think I'm going to leave it.

I have also found out there is near on no service history so I don't know when the cam belt and oil was last changed. I just couldn't trust it without that knowledge.

£700 could soon turn into £2000 and I'm not willing to spend anything like that.

Thanks given by:
(04-10-2016, 04:20 PM)doogle-d turbo Wrote: Cheers for the input, after thinking about it I think I'm going to leave it.

I have also found out there is near on no service history so I don't know when the cam belt and oil was last changed. I just couldn't trust it without that knowledge.

£700 could soon turn into £2000 and I'm not willing to spend anything like that.

I think if he reduced the price it would be OK. Too high at that mileage . I bought a 200k hdi for 230 and then I did the timing belt for a hundred quid. Also had diesel knock but probably one of the best cars I've owned. I've now got an even older xud. Seen some on eBay with 450k on them. But you'll get one with lower mileage at that price. My xud is 1998 with 140k and that cost me 250 ?
Thanks given by:
Prices seems way too much on the high side considering the mileage and not a lot of service history. I would say its really £300/400 depending how long the mot on it is. Mileage it's too much of an issue if there is evidence to back up that it has been well looked after.
Thanks given by:
If I were to sell my HDi with 240k on the clocks, I would be asking £400 max for it. That's bearing in mind recently, it's had all new discs/pads/calipers, dampers, brand new 073 injectors, refurb HP pump, cambelt change. Not to mention, 4 top brand tyres, everything works, there's no nasty knocks or rattles, no engine warning lights, still gets 60+mpg on the motorway at 75mph (probs 70mpg at 60mph)...and the most crucial part, whilst the stamps stopped at 110k when bought, I have a folder full of receipts for oil, filters, suspension bits and cambelt changes!

All the common fault bits have been replaced, LP pump, crankshaft pulley and drivers door loom!
Thanks given by:
Yep I didn't go back for a test drive. It wasn't worth the risk of throwing silly money at it over the next few months.

I've spent the money on a 206 hdi now for the missus. Very nice condition and I get to have her 306 hdi so win win.

Thanks given by: