Careers advice? Really have f*cked it now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers advice? Really have f*cked it now
Hi all, bit of background info basically I'm 21 now, with no qualifications other than a half decent set of GCSEs and what do they even mean in the real world :/ I've spent the last 18 months working towards a career in the Royal Navy only to get medically discharged on the 3rd day of initial training due to a colour vision defect that should have been picked up last year.

My current thinking is either:

A) Go back to call centre work while I save to do my full Cat C+E HGV license. Eventually do an open university course in Engineering.
B) As above but instead of the HGV license save to go back to College next year while keeping a part time job. Then go to full time university however this means considerable debt and potentially not gaining my degree till I'm 28.
C) Try and get on my local police forces specials and go for a career in the Police. However I do have reason to believe they may not accept me based on some silly mistakes as a youth. 

There is absolutely nothing in my local area that would give me a decent career rather than just a job on an agency. 

I know people on here are pretty good with career advice and a lot of people from different sectors of work so I would really appreciate any advice or guidance on what would be the best thing to do.

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
well being as yer from yorsheerr like mesen al speak from t' heart, what drives you? what do you feel passionate about? if you're thinking about embarking on a lifetime career then it needs to be something you really want to do, i'm a musician, doesn't always pay me or my family well but i don't have much choice in the matter, can't not do it, i bit and bob to make my money up when the gigs are thin on the ground, how much money do you need? where do you want to be in X years time? these are some of the questions i would be asking myself Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I would try for the police specials, aslong as your mature enough now i cant see some silly youthful mistakes making an ounce of difference Smile everyone makes mistakes!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2016, 10:31 AM)DWKMattcheese31 Wrote: well being as yer from yorsheerr like mesen al speak from t' heart, what drives you? what do you feel passionate about? if you're thinking about embarking on a lifetime career then it needs to be something you really want to do, i'm a musician, doesn't always pay me or my family well but i don't have much choice in the matter, can't not do it, i bit and bob to make my money up when the gigs are thin on the ground, how much money do you need? where do you want to be in X years time? these are some of the questions i would be asking myself Smile

Those questions I had already answered to myself when I applied to join the RN. What I had there was a clear career path with excellent promotion prospects, a very good salary (trade I wanted to join was a marine engineer on the submarines), and a chance to become properly independent and gain some purpose in my life.

Of course I can still become independent but because I've put everything into the RN process ie the countless interviews, fitness tests, research, money spent on kit, travelling to Scotland/Plymouth etc etc for it all to be pulled away at the final hurdle and be left with nothing in terms of a career and being bsck to square one at the age where most of my friends have got all of theirs sorted, feels terrible.
Thanks given by:
Would you get into the police thing with the partial colour blindness? My Dad got discharged from one of the forces (Army iirc) for the same reason and couldn't go into policing because of it either (so I've been told). It may be different now but definitely make sure before you go down that route.
Thanks given by:
Engineering apprenticeship? With a view to doing a degree via the company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2016, 10:40 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Would you get into the police thing with the partial colour blindness?  My Dad got discharged from one of the forces (Army iirc) for the same reason and couldn't go into policing because of it either (so I've been told).  It may be different now but definitely make sure before you go down that route.

AFAIK it's different between the forces as to what you can and can't do but I will definetely be making the right enquiries! I think some jobs like traffic police and armed response would be out of the question in most forces, and if you're monochrome then barred completely but fortunately mines not that bad :p
Thanks given by:
In the RAF Aircraft Trades - you could be red/green colour blind in the mechanical trades (engine/airframe) but not in the electrical/electronic trades.
Thanks given by:
Short term go and look for jobs in the security industry, there is so many mongs in security that someone with half a brain and the ability to write a half arsed report legibly will quickly stand out as exceptional. Manned guarding (not retail) is the easiest.

As for joining the police I'm not sure I'd bother joining as a special as they don't get paid and you don't get treated any differently when you go to join as a regular. Some if not all forces are currently looking to positively discriminate in their recruitment to get more people from under represented groups.

If you want to do it, do it, it's the best job in the world. Some days are absolutely horrific, the sort of shit that scars you for life, sometimes thats mental scars, sometimes that's physical scars but the good times outweigh the bad and there are days when you'll go home thinking "I can't believe I get paid to do that".

Colour blindness shouldn't be an issue, I know an officer who is partially sighted in one eye, she's not allowed to drive on blue lights or apply for firearms or taser but apart from that no issues. As for any previous convictions (or non convictions for that matter) they look at it on a case by case basis. It depends on how much of it there is, what it is, how recent and if there is extenuating circumstances. Crimes of dishonesty used to be seen as the bad ones. If you've had a ticket for drunk and disorderly a decade ago you might well be alright. If you did time for a series of credit card frauds last year you probably won't.
Thanks given by:
Since you want to drive HGV have you looked into the Oil and gas industry???

Hoyer are a good employer. Work delivering fuel. Good pay and do it long enough and get in with the right people you can transfer and end up working on Terminals again good money and benefits.
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2016, 10:44 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: Engineering apprenticeship? With a view to doing a degree via the company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aye,  mate f mine did something similar with the council,  did a traffic planning and management HND working full time for thiem on a sweet package wage, went full BEng and Masters and now is head of his department earning literally 4 times my salary at 32,  he finished college the same as me and never went to uni,.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
You say you want to do your c+e licence does that mean you already have your catagory c? (As you have to do this first before going up to c+e) I'd go get on the lorry's if you have the cat c already.

Thanks given by:
BT? Bus Driving? up to 30k p/a
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Education all the way imo, 2 year course HND in engineeing, (3 year part time working full time job / day release).
Then do a top up 1 year uni degree, or 2 years part time.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I've f*cked up. laurence_13 29 3,881 27-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Last Post: laurence_13
  Careers -.- rtha6551 24 4,449 17-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Last Post: callumcull
  Getting into waste management careers? rtha6551 5 1,732 16-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Jonny b