How far have you gone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far have you gone?
I keep on saying to Mrs that we could drive our 306 to Moscow quite easily. Google says it's almost 2000 miles. Does that sound a lot? Time stated 33 hours with no traffic.. Would it be punishing to do?  I sort of see it as doing the distance all in one go rather that what can accrue in time so what the heck.  I figure that's  40 gallons of diesel one way.  I reckon 500 miles a day with breaks .  Yup I know  flying costs £100 and  door to door takes about 10 to 12 hours, but just supposing I tried driving what would it really be like and might I live to regret even trying it ?
Thanks given by:
500 miles a day is pushing it if you're not used to driving distances id say.. I drive upto scotland 2/3 times a year and its 450ish miles. Leave about 3am and arrive there dinner time ish, unless you can get very comfy youll get cramp, especially without cruise control lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Most I've done in a 306 is about 300 miles in a day, ate that up npbs though, good luck and take a 13mm spanner Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
we drove back from Nurburgring germany in the GTI6 which was about 550miles
we did that in one go with breaks took around 11 hours including the eurotunnel crossing
i wouldnt do any more than that as the 306 will cripple your back it did mine

on the way over we split it into two days that was much better

couple of weekends ago we did
cleethorpes to Exeter just over 300 miles 5.5 hours with 1 stop that was a good trip in the 6 enjoyed that

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I regually do 200-300 miles in mine a few times a year. A dew uears back i racked up 800 miles in a weekend. So id say 2000 isnt pushing with proper breaks etc. Its more you id be worried about than the pug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
travelled to Austria twice, about 800m. & 4 tanks derv.
1st trip 20 hours, inc stops every 2hours (pee & refersh)
2nd one 16 hours inc stops as above.
the difference? 1st time on ferry, into a student demo @ Calais, + wrong turn into Germany & Rush hour in Strasberg
2nd time via tunnel, and some judicious detours to avoid previous delays.

hope that helps.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Us lot in the Derv Crew drove the 305 and a BX to Croatia one year....not in one day full stop mind, but more than possible / took scenic route via several places and a great trip really...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I've done 800 miles in the 306 in one day and had no problems with comfort at all, but the HDi seats always were uber comfortable.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
As Darren said, down to Croatia in a BX and 305 - awesomeage.

Done Middlesbrough to Truro in one stint in my V50, no issues at all, but I'd definitely say you'd need to get used to driving long distances first...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Did Le Mans via Litchfields from Glasgow and back in the fat Datsun, and I was knackered when I got home. Can't imagine doing it in the 6 would be possible. The driving position and lack of cruise control would kill me. Break it up and make the journey part of the trip.
Thanks given by:
yeh comfort will be the issue. Not whether the car will handle it!
Thanks given by:
Done 500 miles in an afternoon/night with a few stops from the Isle of Skye back to Newcastle, possible if you have a few breaks, but youll be absolutely shattered the last 200 miles and you'll be wrecked for the net day, so id advise against doing that sort of mileage a few days in a row, ccould be dangerous with dropping concentration levels etc! Split the driving with someone else if you can!
Thanks given by:
Bristol - nottingham - truro - bristol is about the furthest ive done in a day and while i wouldnt rush to do it again it wasnt a bad day. The 306 seats are pretty good to be in for a long time. I have spent a night in my old dturbo when i got caught in the floods and couldnt get home. I drove around for hours trying to get back and ended up in a layby to get some kip and finally got home 16hrs after setting off
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2016, 09:38 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: 500 miles a day is pushing it if you're not used to driving distances id say.. I drive upto scotland 2/3 times a year and its 450ish miles. Leave about 3am and arrive there dinner time ish, unless you can get very comfy youll get cramp, especially without cruise control lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I also drive to the highlands of Scotland and back 2-3 times a year, about 450 miles each way. Speed makes a huge difference on that sort of distance, 60mph it takes about 8 hours, 80mph it takes less than 5 hours.

If you haven't driven that sort of distance before you'll want to stop about every 3 hours. I have managed to drive back from Scotland non stop before and once where I only stopped to fill up with fuel but I wouldn't recommend it.

When I'm going up to Scotland I usually stop once at Lockerbie and when I'm coming back I usually stop near Birmingham.

To answer the actual question there is no reason a 306 won't happily drive 2000 miles in 4 days, I'd of happily done it in most of my 306s.
Thanks given by:
The car will only break in 2000 miles if it was going to anyway, whether that's on your holiday or trip to Tesco. But the thing is, how would you get home if it did catastrophically break 1000 miles away? Say it snapped the cambelt or threw a rod so wasn't fixable at the roadside...

Personally I find 306s pretty uncomfortable, both the seats/seating position and the ride, and the lack of an arm rest and cruise control etc sucks on a long drive as well, but that's obviously personal preference.
Thanks given by:
My mum took her 306 to Scotland on holiday a few years back. 215,000 something on the clock when it left, 217,000 something when it got back. Driving past far newer broken down cars was the only thing that made her worry the whole trip. The 306 was faultless.
I've done 600+ in a day a couple of times in a Volcane which is the same car with a different top on it and comfier seats. As said tho, if you're not used to distance driving 500 may even be pushing it.
Thanks given by:
cirencester to Graz in Austria, 1000 miles, one day.

V6 engined 205.

had a day chilling in Graz, then up early on the saturday drive to Lienz, then blat around the dolomites with about a dozen other 205's for a day, evening meal and stayed in a hotel with the group, up for breakfast and a few more mountain passes sunday morning,

leave around lunchtime and do another 1000 miles back to cirencester, got home about 2pm monday after taking a few wrong junctions and going straight through the middle of a few german cities and missing our turning around cologne and ending up in holland, missed the last ferry and had an hour and a half kip in a belgian layby, got the 9am dunkirk ferry

epic trip, want to do it again in my own car soon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/welshpug/a...5469777012

averaged 40 mpg for the motorway stretches sat at 130 kph, had a couple of V-max blasts where traffic speed limits and conditions allowed, yes, it will go off the clock Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
We did 2200 miles in ten or eleven days in my tuned hdi. We spent the whole trip spanking the granny out of it and a few laps of the nurburgring for good measure, didn't miss a neat
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(28-09-2016, 01:40 PM)Poodle Wrote: We did 2200 miles in ten or eleven days in my tuned hdi. We spent the whole trip spanking the granny out of it and a few laps of the nurburgring for good measure, didn't miss a neat

Had to go view the videos again a few weeks ago that you put up from said trip Poodle, looks bloody great!
Thanks given by:
We have recently returned from holiday and flew out of Gatport Airwick...
Nigh on 500 miles each way with 2 very short stops (we always have a flask of coffee with us) from perthshire to Gatwick.
No probs for the 306 Smile

Longest single day for me was probably Sparks,Nevada to Tillamook,Oregon with a diversion to the coast road for the final leg,so approx 600 miles but I had hired a V6 Ford with cruise control Smile
I do miss cruise control for long distance driving,we have 2 old cars LOL
Thanks given by:
i did do or do long miles in my zx as a daily.

most annoying thing for me is lack of cruise control and cramp becasue i can't fully extend my legs even with seat right back.

apart from that its fine.

as said already, average speed will vastly affect travel time on those distances.
Thanks given by:
found the video my mate George did, its his car that I helped build too (I think the 3rd conversion we'd done on a 205) and we shared the driving, he had two gopros and a DVcam and an external mic, was his first go at video editing, stills were all off my Canon EOS 300D and we took turns pointing and shooting mainly.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I've took mine to Szczecin in Poland a few weeks back via Hamburg, Berlin and Nurburgring (where I got the nice avatar). The car can still hack 500-600 miles a day at 19 years old with no bother but i'm getting to the age now where I really can't be bothered anymore spending days and days driving (doesn't help that drivings also what I do for a living)

To be honest the comfort level on long journeys isn't bad in a 306 I've done Scotland a few times in my 208 and it's nowhere near as good
Thanks given by:
I've done about 1500, from the Isle of Wight, to Scotland and zig zags across the country on the way back. All on veg oil.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
not in one day i doubt lol
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2016, 05:12 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I've done about 1500, from the Isle of Wight, to Scotland and zig zags across the country on the way back. All on veg oil.
Is it poss to use veg oil in mine and are there cautions? I used to neat veg oil in my 309  but down to around 10% deisel with it.  I would get 15 l cans of oil in Batleys but  I guess the price diff was greater than now.  However I did do Worcester/ Gatwick return in 7 hours  Night drive with a break so its 300 miles with no probs. Break was 1.5 hours. Used to do Hereford /Newcastle return often. 290 miles each way, Each leg around 3 1/2 hours at night in my XR3. Oh dear a bit faster in my 1961 6 volt Beetle 1600 twinport twin carb boy racer car- (I wasn't a boy racer but it was fun at roundabouts if people tried to leave it standing).  300 miles is nothing though.  I would reckon 800 miles a day is achievable but about 80 is the max of my comfort zone for short periods.
By the way petrol in Russia costs 50p a litre.
Thanks given by:
Currently in northern France doing a 1000mile trip. The long cruises at 65/70 are easiest on cars so less likely to go wrong. Also European roads and less traffic is great.
Thanks given by:
I used to regularly do 450-600 mile days in my 405, with customers on board, I'd happily do that and more in the 306. Also did almost 500 in a sitting in the discovery with a trailer on when I bought my bike.

306s are not uncomfortable in the slightest - if you're the right shape for them Wink But then again, I've done at least a couple of 200 mile stints in a series 3 land rover over into France...
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2016, 09:23 PM)ROBCAT Wrote: I keep on saying to Mrs that we could drive our 306 to Moscow quite easily. Google says it's almost 2000 miles. Does that sound a lot? Time stated 33 hours with no traffic.. Would it be punishing to do?  I sort of see it as doing the distance all in one go rather that what can accrue in time so what the heck.  I figure that's  40 gallons of diesel one way.  I reckon 500 miles a day with breaks .  Yup I know  flying costs £100 and  door to door takes about 10 to 12 hours, but just supposing I tried driving what would it really be like and might I live to regret even trying it ?

I do a lot of driving in Europe, and the US recently at the moment due to work and living between several locations. When I was moving my 306 5 years ago, I drove 2,512 miles to Nordkapp in Norway, and back another 560 miles to where I was located. The car didn't struggle at all and kept going, I did 1,400 miles in one run and only stopping for fuel before taking a break. I split the drive with 2 overnight stops normally when I drive the 1,600 miles makes things easier.

Also if you plan to do the drive in the winter you will need winter tires, and in Moscow I would recommend studded over friction.
Thanks given by: