Missing my 306

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing my 306
I am having a terrible time with the new POS I am driving, which is another French car. (1.4L  Hdi Diesel, 16v - I'll let you guess the rest, as it begins with C)

Someone up the road is selling a 306 Meridian hatchback, which is very tempting. A wise member on here told me that I would miss the handling of the 306 and boy, I do!! Plus the fact the diesels are pretty rugged...

I need some advice, please, with regard to value and whether the car's worth a punt.

The mileage is 123k and an MOT failed a few years ago failed on a rear axle stub. The rest is not worth mentioning, as it's usual wear and tear.

The young lad boasted that he didn't get the car serviced for the last FOUR years, which makes me think a new cambelt is needed, and possibly potential wear on the engine as HDi 8 valvers repsond well to a yearly service. He did about 13k a year during those four years.

The half leather seats are quite worn (not that much of an issue, but...)

The worst thing is, he wants 500 smackers for it!

I live in a populated are, so 306s come round often in my parts.

Avoid or buy?
Thanks given by:
£500 for a 306 that hasn't had a service in over 50k miles? Probably not really worth much more than £200 at a push tbh, 306's just aren't worth what they used to be. If they come up for sale as often as you say, I'd be inclined to hold out for something that's had a little more love. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Stupid to buy a car that's not had an oil change in 50k
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
It's a HDi, they aren't fussy, I've bought un-serviced ones just to strip for parts and been surprised how good the engine still is, compared to say a PD engine with FVWSH. Rolleyes

But as you say you live in an area with a lot of choice, I don't know why you'd choose one with a knackered interior and wonky beam that hasn't been serviced. Almost guarantee the chassis rails will be rusty as well...
Thanks given by:
tbh i would see if the engine is okay. then service it if its all good. Id be looking more at the bodywork and not the engine condition as its harder to find decent panels these days than a replacement engine.
Thanks given by:
Thank you for the balanced responses.

My gut feeling is to avoid this one, which I will. If I was mechanically inclined, I would offer £200 and do it up myself. Trouble is, he's adamant it's worth £500...  Rofl Itwasntme

I was brought up to believe that it's worth buying a motor when the previous owner has serviced it regularly.

Plenty more fish in the sea...
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2016, 09:02 AM)beulah Wrote: Thank you for the balanced responses.

My gut feeling is to avoid this one, which I will. If I was mechanically inclined, I would offer £200 and do it up myself. Trouble is, he's adamant it's worth £500...  Rofl Itwasntme

I was brought up to believe that it's worth buying a motor when the previous owner has serviced it regularly.

Plenty more fish in the sea...

you're not wrong, good service history should figure, however the HDI will deal better with longer service intervals if need be, it is harder to get a straight car these days though i totally agree Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Peugeot life bashbarnard 19 4,592 28-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Missing the 306 scene!!! londondan86 24 5,437 07-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Last Post: londondan86
  Missing photos? dr_jekyll 4 1,241 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31