Top mount intercooler upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top mount intercooler upgrade
I'm all new to this xud stuff. To save all the hassle of having to relocate lots of things in the engine bay and taking bumpers and rad fans off why don't people just install a larger top mount intercooler?, the subarus seem to run well with just uprated top mount and sometimes water injection into the intercooler, there is also a possibility of a water to air cooler as they are very compact and just need to plumb a coolant feed and return up? I had just bought my 306 1.9 and a couple of previous owners back they had done a tune to the turbo and pump, and as its passed through owners they have forgotten to pass on the information as to what has been done. The one I have just bought it from claims it makes 120bhp, tbh it does pull like a train, and whatever tune has been done has been done properly to some extent as it burns the fuel cleanly on boost and hits boost perfectly each gear at 2500-2750rpm, any help or information as to finding out what tune it is would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Firstly...you'll likely find the old xud is making more heat on on intake than a scooby...
Also...look at your bonnet and a scooby bonnet...notice anything?
As for water to air cooler...you'll need a seperate radiator and pump...more effort than just fitting a fmic.
And yeah...120bhp is likely
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Im glad someone mentioned this as the bonnet liner scoop also looks like it could be stiffened and made more efficient also, can anyone tell me if it is possible to actually turn down the fuel on the bosch pump and also turn up the boost without losing too many HP. as im interested in good TD MPG rather than just increased BHP....
Thanks given by:
Can't have more boost with less fuel...

Have a read up on how boost is created ThumbsUp

Also...to a point...these tuned make more mpg. ...start running on veg ...real cheap motoring then.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
install a bonnet scoop? ninja
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(31-07-2016, 08:44 AM)Piggy Wrote: Can't have more boost with less fuel...

Have a read up on how boost is created ThumbsUp

Also...to a point...these tuned make more mpg. ...start running on veg ...real cheap motoring then.

Hi Piggy, it is on 100 per cent filtered waste oil at the moment, a bit rough till its warmed up but I am really interested in the tuning to make better MPG as the xud9te has a bosch pump and ideally im after a TD that does as much MPG as my NAD but with a Powerband....LOL!
Thanks given by:
....not sure what else you expect tbh...

I have always found the td varient to have better mpg anyway.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
FMIC is the best really, a TMIC is always a compromise and suffers quite alot because of it.
Thanks given by:
zx volcane top mount intercooler is thicker than the 306 one
Thanks given by:
(01-08-2016, 11:42 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: zx volcane top mount intercooler is thicker than the 306 one

yeah there is some differences, 405 is different too, i remember swapping to a bigger one, can't recall which was bigger though, 306 or 405 lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
A TMIC will always be limited both by space under the bonnet, venting and the fact that heat rises so putting anything above the turbo is a bad idea.

It's 4 nuts to remove the bumper, I don't understand why you think fitting a FMIC would be difficult.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front Mount Intercooler ?? Buzzdturbo 1 864 07-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Top mount intercooler bolt size/ timing hole size LewisG306 2 1,637 13-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Last Post: LewisG306
  Top mount intercooler and pump clarkey2010 8 1,835 29-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb