What daily for 2-3k?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What daily for 2-3k?
As in the title, I'm thinking of potentially swapping my daily. No particular reason other than I might fancy a change if I can get something good.

Fuel economy doesn't need to be amazing aka. it could be a petrol if it was fun enough to justify higher fuel costs, but I'd rather not have ridiculous running costs eg. impreza.

Things like a Fiesta ST I've already thought of (I currently have a Fiesta Zetec S TDCI).

I'd prefer it to be somewhat fun to drive, and at least somewhat practical and able to carry passengers & have some boot space etc. I'd also prefer it not to have 100k +. I understand that cars can be fine at this mileage, but that is my preference.

Realistically the Fiesta I currently own fulfills all of these perfectly but I'm just seeing if anyone has some interesting ideas!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Impreza WRX
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't want to daily the ST tbh, 4000rpm and no cruise control sucks on the motorway.

Focus ftw tbh, must be able to pick up a 2.0 tdci in either titanium or zetec s (depending whether you want toys or looks) for 3k now.
Thanks given by:
Volvo s80 136bhp pug lump. Se sport model with all the bells and whistles. f*cking awesome daily
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
E46 320i or 320d?
Thanks given by:
Saab or Volvo. V6 turbo/high powered derv.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
hmmmm

This is a tricky price bracket. I think for £2.5k the best money you can spend is on a facelifted original Audi S3, Quattro, 225bhp, and you can find them with full heated leather, sat navs etc. But obviously the running costs will be a significant increase on your £30 a year tax Fiesta.

TBH, I cycle through the options and arrive back at the TDCi ZS. If you're simply after a change a (I can't believe I'm even about to suggest it) but a prev gen Corsa SRi 1.7 CDTi can be had for that money. They look ok... and has 123bhp but won't drive as well as nice as the Fiesta.
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2016, 06:46 PM)Orta Wrote: hmmmm

This is a tricky price bracket. I think for £2.5k the best money you can spend is on a facelifted original Audi S3, Quattro, 225bhp, and you can find them with full heated leather, sat navs etc.  But obviously the running costs will be a significant increase on your £30 a year tax Fiesta.

TBH, I cycle through the options and arrive back at the TDCi ZS. If you're simply after a change a (I can't believe I'm even about to suggest it) but a prev gen Corsa SRi 1.7 CDTi can be had for that money. They look ok... and has 123bhp but won't drive as well as nice as the Fiesta.

I think he was looking for something interesting. Didn't see in his post that he'd given up on life Wink
Thanks given by:
I've been thinking more something with a RenaultSport badge or a Mondeo ST220 than diesel volvo and diesel astra... I'd far rather keep the Fiesta over either of those.

Some interesting suggestions though. I could go above 3k for something good.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by: Matt-Rallye
So you want an uncomfortable and thirsty daily? Confused
Thanks given by:
Have you ever been in a Mondeo ST220? They are the polar opposite of uncomfortable unless you hate cruise control, heated recaros, plenty of room, well-placed armrest etc.

I'd rather not have something thirsty but a 1.6 diesel is not a fun engine.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Comfort as in suspension comfort...sportier cars are always less comfortable than comfort spec ones which gets wearing on longer drives. But as I type this I remember you drive a Mk6 ZS daily so you're clearly not bothered by comfort as much as I am! lol

I beg to differ on the DV6 engine though, I know yours is the wrong one without VNT and with 50bhp less etc but I actually find it pretty fun in the Focus, even after taking the ST150 out. It's the lack of the mpg and unreliability that I don't like about it, power delivery and torque is right where I want it...until high speed but that's the gearbox at fault rather than the engine lol.
Thanks given by:
buy 7 different 306 models
and drive one each day!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2016, 09:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Comfort as in suspension comfort...sportier cars are always less comfortable than comfort spec ones which gets wearing on longer drives.  But as I type this I remember you drive a Mk6 ZS daily so you're clearly not bothered by comfort as much as I am! lol

I beg to differ on the DV6 engine though, I know yours is the wrong one without VNT and with 50bhp less etc but I actually find it pretty fun in the Focus, even after taking the ST150 out.  It's the lack of the mpg and unreliability that I don't like about it, power delivery and torque is right where I want it...until high speed but that's the gearbox at fault rather than the engine lol.

The low profile tyres on the ZS make it very crashy over bumps. There's also a lot of road noise. It handles very nicely though.

I have never driven nor been in anything diesel that I considered fun, and I've been in a lot of nice diesels. Admittedly nothing tuned to within an inch of its life such as some of the projects on here but that's another matter.

(16-07-2016, 10:41 PM)toseland Wrote: buy 7 different 306 models
and drive one each day!

One 306 is enough for now! lmao

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The Mondeo ST has the same issue with crashy low profile tyres, Dad had a Mk3 V6 Ghia X (supposed to be a high spec comfort model!) but the wheels were huge with really low profile tyres which made it uncomfortable to me tbh, though he didn't seem to mind (but he's been driving since the 70s so I guess anything modern seems comfortable lol). The full leathers in the X pack on that car weren't comfortable either, the ST does have better seats though fortunately.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the diesel front then, personal preference I suppose. Smile

Lol, one 306 is never enough, I've had 3 at once a few times... lol That way at least one had to be working... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
E46 330d coupe. Easily manages 36mpg with a mixture of town/mway driving. I am a little bias though  Wink
Thanks given by:
I disagree about the Mondeo. Dad had the ST diesel estate and with half leathers it was amazingly comfy, lot more so than his current CR-V with balloon tyres.
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2016, 08:49 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: E46 330d coupe. Easily manages 36mpg with a mixture of town/mway driving. I am a little bias though  Wink

If it is only doing 36mpg then I'd much rather have a petrol engine.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
E46 330 M-sport coupe. Get a post 200 with the 6 speed box and you'll easily see 35+mpg

The renaultsports are thirsty things,trust me!
Thanks given by:
Something a bit different and interesting, looks relatively tidy too and will only appreciate in value.. Plus it'd leave you a grand to spend on it.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272310675420
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Can pick up an RS megane 225 lux for that money with ease,

225bhp, 6spd, full leather with electric everything (not as bad as base models because each renaultsport is hand build in dieppe) 4 pot brembo's, epic handling and with a map and breathing mods will safely run 260bhp all day long.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2016, 04:03 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(17-07-2016, 08:49 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: E46 330d coupe. Easily manages 36mpg with a mixture of town/mway driving. I am a little bias though  Wink

I daily a 330Ci, sounds great, pulls well and gets about 23 round town/40 on the MW depending on your speed. Standard suspension is very confortable but a bit wafty unless its new. Has cruise, electric memory seats, working AC etc
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2016, 08:54 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Something a bit different and interesting, looks relatively tidy too and will only appreciate in value.. Plus it'd leave you a grand to spend on it.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272310675420

I absolutely love opel mantas but I wouldn't have one as a daily.

(17-07-2016, 08:43 PM)roland rat Wrote: E46 330 M-sport coupe. Get a post 200 with the 6 speed box and you'll easily see 35+mpg

The renaultsports are thirsty things,trust me!

(18-07-2016, 10:53 AM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(17-07-2016, 04:03 PM)RetroPug Wrote:

I daily a 330Ci, sounds great, pulls well and gets about 23 round town/40 on the MW depending on your speed. Standard suspension is very confortable but a bit wafty unless its new. Has cruise, electric memory seats, working AC etc

Now this is getting interesting.

(18-07-2016, 10:09 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Can pick up an RS megane 225 lux for that money with ease,

225bhp, 6spd, full leather with electric everything (not as bad as base models because each renaultsport is hand build in dieppe) 4 pot brembo's, epic handling and with a map and breathing mods will safely run 260bhp all day long.

Yeah I was thinking along these lines as well.

Part of me wants to keep the fiesta as it has just been reliable, cheap and it handles nicely.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't listen too roland rat on that they are thirsty, mine averages around 50mpg ninja
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Surely he meant the petrol one lol...

50mpg is good though...Focus isn't managing that atm with the hot weather and AC on permanently! Sad
Thanks given by:
Got the Mondeo ST myself as the family wagon and I really can't fault it! With a bigger Cooler + decat + remap gives you 190bhp+ goes well admittedly it's not like any of your hot hatches but certainly fun
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Insignia cdti dunno why I really like my hire car easily 3k or less out there and 160 bhp and 45 mpg lovely big,comfortable car.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
You couldn't pay me to own an insignia. Yeah, they drive well and are comfortable but the amount I see at work with major faults or engine failure is ridiculous.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Bump. Fast, manual petrols in good condition for 2-3.5k, with under 100k miles.

Any more suggestions?

I've considered getting a Fiesta ST, clio 182, 330ci (fairly hard to find a good one in the exact spec I want, but possible if I wait).

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Lexus.

Awesome barge! On my list of potential next cars.
Thanks given by: