Injector and HP pump health (pp2k video)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injector and HP pump health (pp2k video)
Video 
Hi all,

I was wondering if my 2.5k vibration was due to injector imbalance so I plugged in PP2k and recorded the screen.

To my surprise I found that there was hardly any corrections applied and it got me thinking could this be correct or could there be an issue here.

Also would you think the HP pump is ok? It looks to me like it's keeping up with demand or am I reading it wrong?

For some reason the mic on the laptop was oversensitive so you might want to turn the volume down before playing the video.

I've done two videos, the first of it idling and driving in traffic and the second of it revving higher under load.
https://youtu.be/KNU9Ov7xFJE
https://youtu.be/l1Hn9C9tjDs

What do you guys think?
Thanks given by:
That looks tip top tbqh, better than probably 90% of 8v hdis of similar age and mileage.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for looking Poodle.

I've never seen the corrections so close to zero so thought something might be wrong and the ECU not correcting for some reason.

I've got some 076 injector but I think I'll keep them as spares as the 062 ones that are in there aren't to noisy.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure i have seen better aside from freshly refurbished items, don't know quite how you've managed that!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That old chest nut of using two stroke oil must have some truth after all.

I replaced the pump when I went stage1 four years ago for a used item, think it had done between 100-150k.

The injectors were bought off ebay and were clean by myself and fitted three years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2016, 08:38 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Thanks for looking Poodle.

I've never seen the corrections so close to zero so thought something might be wrong and the ECU not correcting for some reason.

I've got some 076 injector but I think I'll keep them as spares as the 062 ones that are in there aren't to noisy.

It'll only correct at low speed/idle, hence why you won't see the values changing once the engine speed is up.

HP pump looks in good condition, under peak load at low RPM, I saw a maximum of 50% on the HP regulator valve.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2016, 09:58 AM)Ruan Wrote: It'll only correct at low speed/idle, hence why you won't see the values changing once the engine speed is up.

HP pump looks in good condition, under peak load at low RPM, I saw a maximum of 50% on the HP regulator valve.

Thanks Ruan, that's good to know.

At what percentage would show it being a worn pump?
Thanks given by:
There's a thread lower down from someone saying they had their car cut out at ~3000rpm with P1112 and the regulator was at 97% which is the default maximum allowable position for the regulator - so read what you will into that.

Of course, the regulator closing more is not necessarily a condition of a worn HP pump, that can be down to excessive injector leak-back or a leaking component in the fuel system.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
I am presuming also having a remap will mean that the regulator works at a higher percentage as more fuel would be requested at set RPM's?? So having a mapped engine would run the reg closer to its limit?
Thanks given by:
depends on the mapper
some increase injector duration some increase rail pressure

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Of course, an increase in fuel flow will require the regulator to close more to keep the railpressure at it's setpoint.

Similarly an increase in requested railpressure will require the regulator to close more to achieve the setpoint.
Thanks given by:
Pump and MAF look ok to me. A good pump usually gets to a max of 44% duty cycle on a standard map, so it could be a tiny bit worn, but nothing to worry about unless it struggles once remapped. If it is running a bit lumpy give the FPR a clean, it's not going to hurt, and also check for air leaks in the fuel pipes and fuel filter housing.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the input.

I was thinking of changing the fuel filter housing on the next service.

The car is on a stage one at the moment and I think the HP unions on the injector closest to the cam belt might be leaking but I've got a replacement pipe to go on to fix that.

What do you normally clean the FPR with, carb clean any good?

Steve the next time I'm around the Bristol area I might need half hour of your time to diagnose this weird vibration I'm getting at 2.5k rpm. When I find out the next time I'm there I'll let you know.
Thanks given by:
I used wd40 to clean mine when I took it out. Came up a treat.
Thanks given by:
Carb cleaner might damage the seals, it's a bit aggressive. You're only flushing out, it shouldn't need anything strong, just a good flow.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ah, that's good to know.

I would have taken the o rings off.

When it's got no power is the valve of the regulator open?

Thanks given by:
Is the egr blanked? And have you ran an injector leak off test?

For the regulator I leave it to soak in thinners for 20 mins with the o rings removed. Carb cleaner is good too.

You're welcome to bring it in, just give me as much notice as you can and ill fit you in.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Are you at the workshop on Saturdays?

EGR is removed.

I've not run a leak off test yet will do. Someone said the correction values would show issues with injectors without the need to do leak off test but I guess it's not related to the leak off?

I noticed to today the vibration is still there on overrun so guess I can rule out injectors but I'll still do a leak off test as it doesn't take long to do.
Thanks given by:
Do you feel it though the steering wheel mainly?
Thanks given by:
Mainly through the seat and pedals slightly. It feels like a rough bearing, at 2.5k. In all gears, 5th the worst but I'm guess it's the way the engine is loaded.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.6 hdi - pump and injector upgrade bugija 14 6,370 17-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Last Post: bugija
  Injector pump issues E_KEL95 17 3,820 18-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Poodle