Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum
(23-08-2016, 10:56 PM)procta Wrote: Dum dum, can you not buy a rear axle needing a referb and go from there?  also can the current one do the task?

No, what I want is too new for any to need a refurb.

The current axle is 4.1 ratio and it needs to be as low as possible to keep engine rpms sensible on the motorway. Lets put it like this, the current wheels and diff would give me a 90mph top speed at 4000rpm. I'm looking for 125-130mph at those revs.

There is a dually transit with an acceptable ratio and these are about half the price but then spare sets of wheels and bigger wheels become very expensive so sticking with 6x139 is better long term.
Thanks given by:
what will be more easier to find and cheaper in the long run?
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 12:44 PM)procta Wrote: what will be more easier to find and cheaper in the long run?
The new ranger axle has to be the better option long term even if they currently go for the best part of a grand, theres more of them about than the dually tranny, they will be about for longer as they are newer and because they use the 6x139 bolt pattern every single jap 4x4 for the last 30 years has used sets of spare wheels for drift tyres are pennies and there is plenty of sets of 20" wheels out there for road wheels (to gear it down some more) for a couple of hundred quid.
Thanks given by:
Been a little slow on this of late so today I got on with some bits for a couple of hours. First up I took the prop shaft off as it kept catching the handbrake cables when I was moving it, no pictures there.

Next up (after finding recently the key I have doesn't do the ignition only the door) I had to remove the ignition barrel and steering lock (again to make it easier to move the truck about). After trying to split the rivet with a hammer and chisel and failing I moved on to the dremmel which dies and ended up drilling horizontally through the casing to go horizontally through the rivet, right pulaver that was but then managed to bend the top out the way and pull it off.

I also got the wire brush cup on the drill and cleaned up the nearside of the chassis, I'm out of dust masks and gave up on doing the other side as I'd inhaled enough dust so cracked on with the red oxide. Think I'm gonna paint the chassis black or white once it's protected and been waxoyled inside, kinda like it in red but it clashes with the white of the truck.

I didn't paint the bit in the middle at the back as I'm going to remove it and replace it with a flat one as well, probably, as some diagonals. Really didn't want to drop the fuel tank (even though I plan on replacing it at some point) but I'm gonna have to.
Thanks given by:
Are you not going to give tank a stone chip?
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2016, 06:50 PM)procta Wrote: Are you not going to give tank a stone chip?

Nah it's plastic. I wanted to use a 72kg gas bottle as a tank rat rod style.
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2016, 01:53 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(19-09-2016, 06:50 PM)procta Wrote: Are you not going to give tank a stone chip?

Thats an epic fuel tank idea!!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
i think the beer keg is better Big Grin gas bottle is bigger mind.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2016, 12:10 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(20-09-2016, 01:53 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

Thats an epic fuel tank idea!!
I know, I think it'll look awesome

(20-09-2016, 01:17 PM)welshpug Wrote: i think the beer keg is better Big Grin   gas bottle is bigger mind.
I don't know, beer kegs don't stand out as much as they don't tend to be bright red. They are a slightly better shape as the 72kg bottle is a tad long for it's diameter so it'll need plenty of baffles but at about 120l it'll save too many trips to the petrol station.
Thanks given by:
Well this really is the truck that just keeps giving.

Not only had a previous mechanic left a set of mole grips on the rear brake nipple

But the fuel tank was half full of what appears to be pure white diesel (no water, no cherry, no veg, no engine oil, no piss etc). So as I'd already made my £100 back and there is about £30 worth of diesel there plus what I've made in scrap from bits I don't want.

Glad I took the tank off as it was hiding the rustiest bit of chassis. Cut out 3 sections in the end for welding when I get a chance

Painted inside where I could reach

And the rest of the outside of the chassis (bar the bit that's getting replaced)

Thanks given by:
More excited than a very excited thing as I FINALLY have a Cummins engine.

Like genuinely, If it had been a choice between getting laid today and going and getting the engine I'd still have gone to get the engine.

It's taken a while as more people are fitting them to cars and there is less of the lorries on the roads so while this time last year you'd have got one for £500 with all the bits no trouble there now isn't one on ebay even for double that, they are actually getting close to tripple the money.

Anyway a very nice man in Norfolk was breaking one and I got mine for £500 cash, he even gave me 2 rather well made cups of tea between finishing removing it and craning it onto my truck.

I got it strapped down in the other Ranger using a couple of axle stands to stop it falling over. The Ranger has a payload of 1135kg so I should have been well within my weights  and only the prop was hanging out past the end of the bed but it definitely felt a little light at the front on the way home.

On the way home I took her for a wash.

And after a lot of huffing and puffing it's sitting on my driveway. It's a right pain as I can't have the boom all the way out on the crane due to the weight and so it was only just off the bed at full reach. It's a 130bhp model from a 1997 DAF 45. Can you believe a turbo'd motor that has 22bhp per liter!? Anyway that won't matter, it's getting an intercooler fitted and it's got a 12mm bosch VE Smile

Oh and new sig, because I can Smile

Thanks given by:
Nice one Chris, new truck looks nice too. Details of that? I'm wanting a truck of some sort I think.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2016, 09:16 PM)1616six Wrote: Nice one Chris, new truck looks nice too. Details of that? I'm wanting a truck of some sort I think.
I'll do a thread on that tomorrow, essentially a bargain with possible head gasket failure, fixed in a day and now having the Rangers other 2 common problems.
Thanks given by:
might only be 130 bhp but has to be nigh on 400 lbft hasnt ut?
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
How long will it take you to slot that in then?
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2016, 10:20 PM)welshpug Wrote: might only be 130 bhp but has to be nigh on 400 lbft hasnt ut?
Yeah still got 400lb/ft lol

(22-10-2016, 10:25 PM)procta Wrote: How long will it take you to slot that in then?
Erm, that largely depends what happens with exchange rates and how much I decide to do before dropping it in. Possibly as soon as 2 months when I get my next lump of money from work or I might decide to pay for the starter to be built first and the oil lines and turbo adaptor plate and ePAS system with lines and intercooler and massive rad and battery and a dozen other little bits.

Currently I do want it dropped in as soon as I can afford mounts as it keeps my driveway looking tidier and makes it easier to work out how much space I have for other things and how much effort things like the gear stick are going to be (I'm possibly going to need to make up a remote shifter kit for it).
Thanks given by:
Glad to see you're getting soewhere with it bud. Is ve the plan then or is p pump in the pipeline. Don't know how true it is that the p pump can run higher revs than the ve. Get big stack on sirry an get her smokin Big Grin good luck with all bud
Thanks given by:
Don't want high revs with a 6bt. No need and only break stuff
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
More power is easier to obtain with p pump though that's all I was gettin at, depends how far dum dum wants to go with bhp tbh
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2016, 02:33 PM)Chris306 Wrote: Glad to see you're getting soewhere with it bud. Is ve the plan then or is p pump in the pipeline. Don't know how true it is that the p pump can run higher revs than the ve. Get big stack on sirry an get her smokin Big Grin good luck with all bud

Cheers mate, sticking VE for now, looking at the Americans, a few are reaching 500bhp on the 12mm VE pump without drugs, obviously this is like JP hitting 213bhp on a 9mm XUD pump but it means over 400bhp is a realistic target and teamed with 1000lb/ft that is a pretty good starter.

I might then go for a 14mm head for the VE or might go for a P Pump. it will depend on my financial situation and the global economic situation as already the changes in exchange rates are making big differences to parts prices import and not just the actual price but as the exchange rate is lower it means you are more likely to have to pay customs charges.

(23-10-2016, 03:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: Don't want high revs with a 6bt. No need and only break stuff
Mr Piggy you are correct, there is alot of talk online that the 6BT won't cope with revs above 4000rpm I appreciate that at those revs a 12 and especially a 14mm VE will be starting to struggle but P Pumps aren't as good for driveability on the road.

(23-10-2016, 05:02 PM)Chris306 Wrote: More power is easier to obtain with p pump though that's all I was gettin at, depends how far dum dum wants to go with bhp tbh
I'd love a 1000bhp Cummins (wouldn't we all) but that is a long way and alot of money off. Just hitting 1000lb/ft would be a hell of achievement personally. TBH even the 300bhp mark will be huge personally, it would make it the fastest thing I'd ever driven (far less owned). How many people will own a 300bhp car in their lifetime?
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2016, 07:37 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(23-10-2016, 02:33 PM)Chris306 Wrote: Glad to see you're getting soewhere with it bud. Is ve the plan then or is p pump in the pipeline. Don't know how true it is that the p pump can run higher revs than the ve. Get big stack on sirry an get her smokin Big Grin good luck with all bud

Cheers mate, sticking VE for now, looking at the Americans, a few are reaching 500bhp on the 12mm VE pump without drugs, obviously this is like JP hitting 213bhp on a 9mm XUD pump but it means over 400bhp is a realistic target and teamed with 1000lb/ft that is a pretty good starter.

I might then go for a 14mm head for the VE or might go for a P Pump. it will depend on my financial situation and the global economic situation as already the changes in exchange rates are making big differences to parts prices import and not just the actual price but as the exchange rate is lower it means you are more likely to have to pay customs charges.

(23-10-2016, 03:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: Don't want high revs with a 6bt. No need and only break stuff
Mr Piggy you are correct, there is alot of talk online that the 6BT won't cope with revs above 4000rpm I appreciate that at those revs a 12 and especially a 14mm VE will be starting to struggle but P Pumps aren't as good for driveability on the road.

(23-10-2016, 05:02 PM)Chris306 Wrote: More power is easier to obtain with p pump though that's all I was gettin at, depends how far dum dum wants to go with bhp tbh
I'd love a 1000bhp Cummins (wouldn't we all) but that is a long way and alot of money off. Just hitting 1000lb/ft would be a hell of achievement personally. TBH even the 300bhp mark will be huge personally, it would make it the fastest thing I'd ever driven (far less owned). How many people will own a 300bhp car in their lifetime?
Ohh too right we all would haha 1000lb/ft is a hugely stupid in a good way I might add amount of power for what it's  goin in ? Like I say bud all the best with it I'll be watching like a hawk for that first video rolling coals lol
Thanks given by:
It'll be 1000ft/lb in something that weighs about as much as the engine that powers it. Win!
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2016, 08:02 PM)Chris306 Wrote: Ohh too right we all would haha 1000lb/ft is a hugely stupid in a good way I might add amount of power for what it's  goin in ? Like I say bud all the best with it I'll be watching like a hawk for that first video rolling coals lol

Yeah been watching videos of too many 500bhp(ish) Cummins Minitrucks run 1/4miles in the 11s at 120+mph on youtube
Thanks given by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uUTU2nHH0M

Just remind me why you want a VE pump again!?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2016, 02:14 PM)Ruan Wrote: Just remind me why you want a VE pump again!?

Mate I Heart P-Pumps for the noise and outright power but they cost £££ and aren't the most driveable things on earth.
While I have a VE I'm sticking with a VE till I get it running as the VE should easily see 400bhp. P-Pump upgrade can come later.
Thanks given by:
As you may have seen in the other thread I picked up an empty 47kg propane cylinder for £5.99 from a marine supplier in Barnes.

I intend to use it as a fuel tank as it holds 92L but as with everything on this truck it will need some modifications. I need a filler neck, block up the main valve, possibly fit some baffles as well as pipes for feed, return and breather.
I intend to mount it horizontally across the bed on custom mounts (isolated by rubber strips). Gonna have the valve at the drivers side and slightly offset it to the passenger side so I can run the legal exhaust up behind the cab that side as well as balancing it side to side.

Thanks given by:
dum dum are you going to put an external roll cage on this?
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2016, 07:37 PM)procta Wrote: dum dum are you going to put an external roll cage on this?
No, they look daft.
I might do an internal one but I'd want it on the road first before I start doing things like that.
Thanks given by:
Holy shit, I didn't realise bottles could be bought so cheaply! Glad I know that now ninja

Glad there is some progress with this :thumbsup:
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2016, 09:01 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Holy shit, I didn't realise bottles could be bought so cheaply! Glad I know that now ninja

Glad there is some progress with this :thumbsup:

If that's a Calor bottle Dum Dum may have bought it but technically it's not actually his to do with as he pleases, it still belongs to Calor.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project e46 v8 scratch that s14 vhate drift car xudlingo 34 13,144 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Daze's 400bhp Nissan Silvia drift car Dazecoop 45 18,297 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Dazecoop
  The Landrover Cummins (12v 6BT) Conversion darrenjlobb 76 34,276 29-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy