New DHY owner ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DHY owner ...
Hi all,

Just picked up a Dturbo, phase 2. I used to spend a fair bit of time on theywhoshallnotbenamed, for my old xldt (which I still have). Loved the Dturbo for years, came by a decent phase 2 so picked it up. Been working away at little jobs like track rod ends and balljoints etc.

One thing that worries me, is I bought it and THEN thought "ooo, I wonder if it is a DHY?" and it is... Doh 

Just wondering - I have seen quite a few posts about these throwing rods, anyone ever get any impression of what sort of percentage failure rate there was on these?  The car has done 80,000 miles and going well, not been thrashed or tuned (all the tamper proof paint stuff still on all the threads on the pump). Just wonder how likely it is to go?

Anyway, too late now!
Thanks given by:
you'll see as many about throwing rods as you will with them without ever throwing a rod,

In stock trim they are relatively bomb proof provided something doesn't go wrong., I think I am yet to see the "I was driving down the road in my untouched XUD doing 50 and perfectly serviced and it just went bang" ccomment, usually its a succession of events.. silly fuel, silly boost, lead right foot and pop.. rod exits stage left.

so I would hazard a few years of sensible unadulterated use, or if you're going to do it up sort the problem out early,
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2016, 01:54 PM)toseland Wrote: you'll see as many about throwing rods as you will with them without ever throwing a rod,

In stock trim they are relatively bomb proof provided something doesn't go wrong., I think I am yet to see the "I was driving down the road in my untouched XUD doing 50 and perfectly serviced and it just went bang" ccomment, usually its a succession of events.. silly fuel, silly boost, lead right foot and pop.. rod exits stage left.

so I would hazard a few years of sensible unadulterated use, or if you're going to do it up sort the problem out early,

Someones wife/gf on here had a standard one go on her. I eouldnt worry about it ive never had one throw on a mild tune ever. Look after it dont drive like a bell hop and youll be fine
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Its only because dhy were most common and we only hear about the rod stories...

We dont have pages and pages of "I drove 12k this year without throwing a rod"
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the reassurance folks. So is the DHY engine the most prevalent amongst the XUD's then - is that what you mean Piggy when you said the DHY were most common, rather than DHY most commonly throw rods?
Thanks given by:
There are physically more dhy blocks around.

It's why you hear of loads of problems with the dv6 for example.. they are in almost everything bar the kitchen sink, as a percentage the number of faults is tiny when you look at the bigger picture but high numerically.. same as the dhy
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2016, 02:03 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(24-05-2016, 01:54 PM)toseland Wrote: you'll see as many about throwing rods as you will with them without ever throwing a rod,

In stock trim they are relatively bomb proof provided something doesn't go wrong.,   I think I am yet to see the "I was driving down the road in my untouched XUD doing 50 and perfectly serviced and it just went bang" ccomment,   usually its a succession of events..  silly fuel,  silly boost, lead right foot and pop.. rod exits stage left.

so I would hazard a few years of sensible unadulterated use,  or if you're going to do it up sort the problem out early,

Someones wife/gf on here had a standard one go on her. I eouldnt worry about it ive never had one throw on a mild tune ever. Look after it dont drive like a bell hop and youll be fine

It was me bash standard engine boom. Lol don't think it was looked after before we got it  Speechless
Thanks given by: