GRAMMAR WAR, and how to make a cuppa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GRAMMAR WAR, and how to make a cuppa
There will be no project thread as i dont think its that interesting. service history and a years ticket of an older gentleman £430 lower tax bracket as well. 

it will be tracked at fcs regardless as i have track time though so if any body wants a ride in the slowest car on track with budget tyres on give me a shout because its happening.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Needs must.

(*an hdi)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
if you fancy it mate i'll let you take mine out on the track if you like..

on the proviso that if you break it you replace it (ie if you stack it i get yours lol)
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
:yawns:

At least it's a nice colour! Wink
Thanks given by:
as much as id love to take a faster car on track i havnt been on track for a few years now so if im honest im a little nervous to get back out again. probably been 5 years. still it will be a riot with everyone else on track. at least i can get some good videos of everyones cars overtaking me
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2016, 06:10 PM)Piggy Wrote: Needs must.

(*an hdi)

if the "h" is pronounced in hard form,  as a consonant then "A" is acceptable. "a historic occasion, a HDi" etc,,
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
But it's an 'aych' not a 'huh' so should be 'an'... Flows much better, I agree with Piggy on this one!

Unless you're from London, in which case 'a' goes before literally everything including vowels. lol
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2016, 06:10 PM)Piggy Wrote: Needs must.

(*an hdi)

(17-05-2016, 06:20 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But it's an 'aych' not a 'huh' so should be 'an'... Flows much better, I agree with Piggy on this one!

Unless you're from London, in which case 'a' goes before literally everything including vowels. lol

it's definitely *a HDI, stick to grease monkeying you two, #knowyourstrengths Big Grin . . . . . .

back on topic, glad you found what you wanted fella . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Smile nice one Tom ( Bash ) I say its a Haytch D I too Tongue
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2016, 06:46 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Haytch

Oh dear! lol

If you pronounce the H wrong as above then it is 'a'. lol

If you pronounce it correctly 'aytch' then it starts with a vowel and should be 'an'.
Thanks given by:
It should be "an". End of.

Who says "huh dee aye"?!?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
well this has made me laugh, why would you not pronounce it Haytch? (as we are now spelling it) perhaps this is a regional thing, i don't know but not a vowel sound here . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Haytch is not correct.
I'd know...my mother (english teacher) corrected me on it for years! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Im not really fussed what way you look at it. Where I am the dialect would say (phonetically)
I bort uh atch d eye
im quite suffolk though
Thanks given by:
It's not regional accents, it's just not being taught the 'proper' way to say things. If you went to a posh finishing school (guess there aren't many up North tbf lol ) the correct way to pronounce the letter h is without a 'huh', seriously. Smile
Thanks given by:
It's not to do with whether it is a vowel, rather the sound it makes - if it's a vowel sound, then it should be "an" vs consonant sound it should be "a"... For example "an umbrella" and "an hour" start with consonants, but are pronounced with a vowel sound.

Therefore it completely depends on regional accents.

You should pronounce it "Aitch Dee Eye" because that's the official way, however whilst the correct spelling and pronunciation would be "aitch" a lot of dictionaries would suggest that pronouncing it "Haitch" would be acceptable these days.

Therefore should be written "an HDi" as that's the official spelling, however in spoken English "a HDi" would be acceptable also.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I'm definitely getting a ride in this Big Grin

What times your slot ?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2016, 08:09 PM)7057sam Wrote: I'm definitely getting a ride in this Big Grin

What times your slot ?

11-1
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2016, 08:08 PM)Ruan Wrote: It's not to do with whether it is a vowel, rather the sound it makes - if it's a vowel sound, then it should be "an" vs consonant sound it should be "a"... For example "an umbrella" and "an hour" start with consonants, but are pronounced with a vowel sound.

How long has 'U' been a consonant then? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ruan for being the voice of reason, I would say the majority of people right or wrong in your opinion do pronounce it as hay and not ay, language does evolve I hope you're all aware, what someone taught decades ago is not necessarily accurate today, if you pronounce it as ay then you're right to say an, I certainly don't so I guess we're both right in theory lol, why would I need a finishing school Tom? I've worked and traveled the length and breadth of the UK, that'll teach you a little more about life and the general use of language Smile

(17-05-2016, 08:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(17-05-2016, 08:08 PM)Ruan Wrote: It's not to do with whether it is a vowel, rather the sound it makes - if it's a vowel sound, then it should be "an" vs consonant sound it should be "a"... For example "an umbrella" and "an hour" start with consonants, but are pronounced with a vowel sound.

How long has 'U' been a consonant then? Tongue

you know what he meant lol
Thanks given by:
not enough pictures in here!
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2016, 08:21 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Thanks Ruan for being the voice of reason, I would say the majority of people right or wrong in your opinion do pronounce it as hay and not ay, language does evolve I hope you're all aware, what someone taught decades ago is not necessarily accurate today, if you pronounce it as ay then you're right to say an, I certainly don't so I guess we're both right in theory lol, why would I need a finishing school Tom? I've worked and traveled the length and breadth of the UK, that'll teach you a little more about life and the general use of language Smile

If you want to marry a rich person and live in a posh stately home playing croquet and having afternoon tea you'd need to speak properly. I would assume you don't want that, so wouldn't need a finishing school. Just saying that there are 'correct' ways to pronounce things and when to use different words (a and an, was and were etc). I'm aware a lot of people won't use them in the 'correct' way, and won't care about it either lol, it's just something that irritates me (and presumably Piggy). Smile

Anyway, soon we'll all only speak in emojis and abbreviations so it'll all be irrelevant...lol Wink
Thanks given by:
Lol I actually copy and pasted that in by accident and bunched it up - I was going to note the example that a word beginning with "u" doesn't always equal a vowel sound... But didn't want to turn it into an essay... Oh well...

For example "ugly" or "umbrella" would be "an ugly person" or "an umbrella" yet "unique" or "unicorn" would be "a unique" or "a unicorn", even though it starts with a vowel. That's because they produce a "y" sound...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
My wife is an English teacher at a posh school and the most correctly spoken English in the UK comes from a little town outside Aberdeen so Tongue Haytch! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Personal jibes notwithstanding lol, I don't believe it is the 'correct' way, Queen's English perhaps but not for all Smile
Thanks given by:
Didnt i type that like... 8 posts back?
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
No personal jibes at all Matt? I don't want to go to a finishing school either...didn't mean any offence by it!

Red, I just don't believe your wife is pronouncing it wrong at a posh school! Confused

https://www.englishforums.com/English/Pr...j/post.htm

http://english.stackexchange.com/questio...h-or-haych
Thanks given by:
Me n the missus are pissing ourselves here lol, cheers Bash for the update on the title,
My missus is now swinging to Aitch Dee eye Sad
Did you get the door leaks sorted on Lu's car?
Thanks given by:
Tbf I think Bash should probably start another thread or have this one cleaned up. lol

Edit - oh man, my new title is annoying, cheers Matt! lmao
Thanks given by:
(17-05-2016, 09:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No personal jibes at all Matt?  I don't want to go to a finishing school either...didn't mean any offence by it!

Red, I just don't believe your wife is pronouncing it wrong at a posh school! Confused

https://www.englishforums.com/English/Pr...j/post.htm

http://english.stackexchange.com/questio...h-or-haych

both ways mate lol, all good fun, if you start googling things you can find what you like but it can be pronounced both ways according to my googling Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Grammar Eeyore 5 1,910 10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Matt