Returning power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Returning power
so it seems the rallye may be down on power.

Where do I even start, engine is on 115k with 6 monthly services. 
Has a wanky air filter apart from that engine is standard really 

Where do I begin looking to gain power back? How does it lose power from when it left factory?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
They don't really. When you say wanky air filter?

Could be a number of things from sticking brake to servicing to fuel filter to throttle cable not tight
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 04:56 PM)Matt Wrote: so it seems the rallye may be down on power.

Where do I begin looking to gain power back? How does it lose power from when it left factory?

Compression test ?
Thanks given by:
Timing
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 07:58 PM)Xsikid Wrote:
(29-04-2016, 04:56 PM)Matt Wrote: so it seems the rallye may be down on power.

Compression test ?
Coil pack?
Thanks given by:
Get pp2k...lets see what that and the lambda say
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'll have to wait till fcs for and ask someone to bring it to find out.

Wanky air filter is Litterally a cone on the end of the snorkel

I'm pretty sure timing is spot on, with this engine I'm pretty sure if the timing is wrong it will tap it's tits off

What would a compression test prove? Genuine question. Also how do I go about it?
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 09:19 PM)Matt Wrote: I'll have to wait till fcs for and ask someone to bring it to find out.

I'm pretty sure timing is spot on, with this engine I'm pretty sure if the timing is wrong it will tap it's tits off

What would a compression test prove? Genuine question. Also how do I go about it?

Will see if the piston rings/ bores are worn if your losing power. Need compression tester and take each spark plug out in turn and screw compression tester in its place. Disconnect coil packs so the engine doesn't start! I'm sure the others on here will put right anything that Iv missed or what to do next.

(29-04-2016, 09:28 PM)Xsikid Wrote:
(29-04-2016, 09:19 PM)Matt Wrote: I'll have to wait till fcs for and ask someone to bring it to find out.

Will see if the piston rings/ bores are worn if your losing power. Need compression tester and take each spark plug out in turn and screw compression tester in its place, then crank engine over and write down what the gage says. Disconnect coil packs so the engine doesn't start! I'm sure the others on here will put right anything that Iv missed or what to do next.
Thanks given by:
Matt one simple thing to try which may point you strongly in the right direction (but not a guarantee). Unplug the lambda sensor and see how it drives then. If it picks up slightly and feels smoother, id put money on a bad lambda.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I'd probably get a dyno readout or see how it fairs against another '6 to start with. Could spend loads of money trying to fix something that isn't broken. Confused
Thanks given by:
Compression tests do little, you want a leak down test done as this tells you where if any faults are with leakage
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
I'll give the lambda a disconnect tomorrow on my way to work and see how that feels.

And I'll look at getting someone to do a compression test, Cba with going out to buy all the gear someone will have a tester.

And miles how do I go about that? And what will it show me?
Thanks given by:
engine leakdown test

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-main...kdown-test

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by: Matt
If you're able to get to me one Saturday morning I can have a look at work, just give me a call.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Cheers for the offer mate, I'll see what I can do ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
Here you go Matt  Rofl

Thanks given by:
I'd check one wheel isn't roasting hot after a drive. Bet you've got a sticking caliper rather than an engine problem
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by: