Camping

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping
Iv always loved camping but with getting older my back isn't so keen on the idea and with our first child on the way it got me thinking! Iv always liked the idea of tear drop caravans and it's something you can make with some basic diy skills and it's something we could use for car shows as the gti 6 has a towbar on. Then I thought why don't I get an estate and turn that into a simular idea and turn that into a camping wagon cut the front of and use that instead or am I just being stupid?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
you may have an issue with the 'nose' end being too heavy Undecided
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
I was going to cut engine bay of completely to save weight

And then weld a draw bar to the subframe underneath only leaving the rear axel

[Image: 29129f80bbd573eb1b9347a06723d727.jpg] sorry for bad picture and I no its a hatch but the idea is the same cut the whole front end off

Thanks given by:
Nose weight on teardrops is huge. My pal used to make them i would avoid.

What about a proper caravan? We bought ours last year and now use it most weekends, kids love it. A 2 birth caravan in good condition can be bought for less than £1000.
Thanks given by:
Personally I'd say proper caravan (there is plenty of small ones you can tow with a 306) or a larger tent with larger, deeper air bed.

In a teardrop or converted car they only just fit a double materess so you only have that 6'6" x 4'6" space to move about in. In a big enough tent or caravan (preferably with awning) you can sit or even stand and have more time being comfortable. Some caravans even have a massive bed at the front that is effectively the size of a super king.
Thanks given by:
What is the maximum towing weight of a 306 gti 6 then? I didn't realise you could pick up a caravan that cheap tbh and as you all say it would be the easiest option

Thanks given by:
There is a couple of nice looking ones on ebay for £250 clasified ad

IIRC a GTi6 can tow 1200kg or 1250kg braked but obviously for control/fuel economy/clutch life lightest is best.
Thanks given by:
OK mate lovely thanks for your help

Thanks given by:
i towed a 650kg caravan with my hdi dturbo i would advise against going any great distance as the car is not heavy enough
The Tail will wag the dog!

oh be aware of your licence restrictions Wink
the mondeo i bought towed the same caravan a lot better being a heavyer car

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(21-04-2016, 07:22 PM)cully Wrote: i towed a 650kg caravan with my hdi dturbo i would advise against going any great distance as the car is not heavy enough
The Tail will wag the dog!

oh be aware of your licence restrictions Wink
the mondeo i bought towed the same caravan a lot better being a heavyer car

Which is interesting with the Mondeo not being alot heavier than the 306.
Thanks given by:
I would just buy one unless you have a lot of time. The nose will be too heavy on an estate and a hatch cut in half is not a caravan its just another boot.
Thanks given by:
Trailer tent thingy
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Buy my dads camper, job done!

Thanks given by: