GTI6 beam fitted, front end now has more roll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTI6 beam fitted, front end now has more roll
So had a fully refurbed GTI6 beam with solid mounts fitted to my car for a few weeks now, much better, but I now find a lot more roll/sway when cornering at the front, anything I can buy to help it corner much more flatly?
Thanks given by:
firmer front springs.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: MY95
Thanks again Welshpug aha Smile What would you suggest? Currently have standard 2 year old Sachs dampers and springs, b4s too soft still?
Thanks given by:
So you have standard front dampers and springs!?!

Wow, no wonder front end feels like a trifle without a bowl!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I do Piggy yes, what would you suggest for standard height then on a budget? Need it pretty comfy still though aha
Thanks given by:
GTi6 shocks and springs? Or ZX DT, slightly lower and stiffer.
Or some cheap eBay crap.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
GTi springs raise it... GTi engine weighs about 5 tonnes.

Xsara VTS shocks and springs are ideal for a slight drop with some extra stiffness and usually cheap too. But if a set pops up you better nab them before I do! lol
Thanks given by:
Xsara vts shocks and springs are now my personal choice for my estate. Give a real nice feel and are good budget upgrades.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2016, 05:58 AM)MY95 Wrote: I do Piggy yes, what would you suggest for standard height then on a budget? Need it pretty comfy still though aha

Well that be your issue then...moon buggy spec!

As said... ZX volcane or Xsara vts standard stuff if you don't want a drop
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
VTS struts give about 25mm drop
Thanks given by:
I had thought about getting b4s for Xsars VTS with standard VTS springs, although I dont want any lower, ca you still get HDI D Turbo springs and shocks? Probably better as wont drop it that much.
Bash do youhave any photos of how the front end sits?
Cheers
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2016, 08:19 AM)MY95 Wrote: I had thought about getting b4s for Xsars VTS with standard VTS springs, although I dont want any lower

VTS stuff probably isn't ideal for you then as whilst far from slammed, it certainly sits quite a lot lower than standard.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Thats what I was thinking, have clearance issues even as standard around mine aha
What about GTI struts with 30mm lowering springs, shouldnt lower it as much as vts should it?
Thanks given by:
i think it has already been said that vts struts lower 25mm. Its going to be pretty much the same as 30mm springs id imagine
Thanks given by:
I didn't ever accurately measure it, but certainly subjectively looked more than 25mm compared to Meridian moon-buggy spec springs - I'd guess more like 35-40mm.

Annoyingly I can't seem to find a single decent side-on photo of my old 306 (which ran VTS springs) on either my phone or work PC Dodgy
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Why do you have clearance issues!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have clearance issues on the Focus... Doesn't matter how high the car is you'll always scrape somewhere lol!!

All of these are VTS springs.

[Image: IMAG3466_zps110c3cbd.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3463_zps596e5e47.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3434_zps6bd5f437.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3462_zps7f0c9f18.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3713_zpsf32bd3f1.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3715_zpsab95aae7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks good Tom Smile
Piggy there are very high curbs round here and the splitter makes it even worse aha
Thanks given by:
Why are you driving over high kerbs? Confused Find the dropped kerbs lol...

(21-04-2016, 09:52 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: I didn't ever accurately measure it, but certainly subjectively looked more than 25mm compared to Meridian moon-buggy spec springs - I'd guess more like 35-40mm.

Annoyingly I can't seem to find a single decent side-on photo of my old 306 (which ran VTS springs) on either my phone or work PC Dodgy

True, DTurbo spec is already lower than Meridian/LX spec so will be a bigger drop compared to those. I think Matt's is a DTurbo, could be wrong though!
Thanks given by:
dturbo is not lower spec, its sport spec where meridian is not.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2016, 11:16 AM)welshpug Wrote: dturbo is not lower spec, its sport spec where meridian is not.

Yes...it is lower, as sports spec cars always are. 20mm lower iirc... Not sure how you can argue while agreeing with me there. lol
Thanks given by:
welshpug youre saying its a better spec than standard i.e. higher
toms306 youre saying its lower as in the ride height...

youre both right but i think welshpug youve took "lower" the wrong way.
Thanks given by:
Well if we're talking spec then I'd say cloth seats, rubber steering wheel, no rear electric windows, no headrests, no dash dimmer, no auto drop, etc etc is lower anyway, hence meridianising my dturbos haha. Tongue. Only thing dturbo I kept was the beam!! lol

But yeah, seeing as this is a suspension and ride height thread that's what I meant! Smile
Thanks given by:
High curbs everywhere when parking up North, Tesco and the sports centre as they are like my 2nd and 3rd homes lol
Car is a HDI GLX funnily enough Tom, just a full HDI D Turbo replica now on the outside and in Smile
Thanks given by:
Coilovers /thread
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2016, 10:28 PM)MY95 Wrote: High curbs everywhere when parking up North, Tesco and the sports centre as they are like my 2nd and 3rd homes lol
Car is a HDI GLX funnily enough Tom, just a full HDI D Turbo replica now on the outside and in Smile

Ah fair enough, GLX is the same height as LX and Meridian so Xsara's would drop a bit more than you'd like maybe!

Full external DTurbo replica? You mean you just fitted a splitter and spoiler? Tongue

I still don't see why you're mounting high kerbs, down south supermarkets and sports centres have these large flat areas known as car parks... Wink When I do have to mount kerbs though, as I say even in the Focus it scrapes, the bottom of the front bumper and the small undertray are wrecked! And it's not exactly low lol. I usually scrape coming off speedbumps as well. Confused
Thanks given by:
Scraped it twice going downhill and not on a massively steep downhill either... lol
I used to be able to park it with clearance for the bumper to sit above the curb, but now after fitting the splitter I cannot, so cant go any lower haha.
GTI Splitter, spoiler, HDI DT seats and doorcards, full inside and out job Tom Tongue

These are the current standard height Sachs shocks and springs on my car:

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/front-sh...0!456.html
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/coil-spr...7!934.html
Thanks given by:
Another option is fitting a larger 21mm front ARB from a GTi-6 and other sport spec cars, assuming you're still running the smaller base model item currently. That should solve the roll rate imbalance you've now got since fitting the GTi-6 beam.

Indeed, did DTurbo spec HDi's run these as standard? I'm guessing so if they used a GTi-6 (sport) spec beam with a 24mm ARB.

Generally I'd rather put stiffer springs on than a stiffer ARB on the front all things being equal as that tends to give more traction, but if you're not wanting to go lower you might not have a lot of options without experimenting with springs from other cars.
Thanks given by:
Apparently fitting the larger GTI ARB gives more understeer... which I don't fancy aha Smile
D Turbo HDI's ran the exact same suspension as GTI's all round as far as im aware.
What are the best springs that aren't that expensive for the front for standard height then? Do bilstein or h&r do standard height ones?
Thanks given by:
Tbh...a firmer spring may help...as it will stop the nose dive you get. Thus the scraping?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gti6/VTS Front Shocks/Springs MY95 14 2,987 05-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  GTI6 rear beam and front legs Frankwood 1 907 10-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  GTi6. beam bearings and stub axle measurements Ben_w 14 3,031 01-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Ben_w