136 hdi dpf

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
136 hdi dpf
It'll feel like shit, sound awful and stink... So the same as any other diesel. Wink

But seriously, with the EGR open and the intercooler bypassed you really do feel a lack of acceleration, mine used to jerk badly during a regen as well. You also get a distinctive noise due to the later injections and a hot cat smell, possibly an extra 'dieselly' smell as well. The fan running when you haven't got AC on and having been thrashing it or stuck in traffic is another good indication that a regen is taking place. I could also tell by the MPG dropping off when it should be rising (on the flat at 30mph for example) but for those less anal about mpg that might not be so easy to spot lol.
Thanks given by:
I havent noticed that if im honest but im sure it must be doing them as ive done 4k in the last 6 weeks
Thanks given by:
Hmm, yeah I would think so in 4k, I think it's 'roughly' 500-1000 mile intervals, depending on driving style etc. How many miles are on it?
Thanks given by:
109k now

And its not like i drive it like miss daisy so there would be plenty of opportunities for hot exhaust temps
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2016, 08:28 AM)tuttyboy84 Wrote: Will the fact i do so many miles mean it will passive regen regardless?

Passive regens are not what you think, the ECU is constantly monitoring differential pressure... The ecu does initiate a regeneration even a 'passive' regeneration, it has to adjust timing and EGR rate to force it to happen... The whole 'take it for a rag' thing is only to help the engine to get up to temperature so that the regeneration will actually happen.

The engines are way too efficient out of it's various regeneration modes to get the DPF hot enough... The obvious 'forced' regeneration when engine speeds are low are what we think of when we mean regeneration, however they're quite rare as usually it's done at higher speeds when it's easier to get the temperature up.

EGR plays a huge role in controlling what happens during regeneration, it also prevents DPF overheating due to excessive oxygen being passed through the filter, you're actually in danger of a thermal runaway without EGR and destroying the DPF filter and catalyst.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ok so its either live with it or have the egr/dpf removed once and for all
Thanks given by:
Correct.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I honestly feel like calling tuttyboy a twat! Blank he one guy who's running the same shizzle FFS!
Twat!
Thanks given by:
Why exactly am i a twat?
Thanks given by: