Gti6 cat advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti6 cat advice
Hi all

Any chance you could advise me on the best place to get a 'non performance reducing' yet reliable replacement cat for my phase 3. Ive been trawling these forums for ages trying to find a reliable company that makes decent after market catalytic converters but despite there being a few threads on cats generally the solution is: get a decat straight through pipe or buy a decent second hand cat  on ebay. With all due respect to these knowledgeable folk that doesnt help as far as i can see there is NO way to tell if it still works from the pic( obvs) and its clearly only a tempoary fix as the rusted ebay ones wont last long and Id like to keep the cat on permantly rather than put a straight through on yntil mOT time etc. Does anyone know if the eurocar cat for £60 will fit well and not restrict performance from standard exhaust setup? I cant afford the peugeot £600 jobbie but can not belive that there isnt a reasonably priced solution

Thanks for your time

Phase 3 diable red gti-6
Thanks given by:
So with the Magnex decat you will loose a bit of torque bottom to mid range but it should free up the top end.

I'm not aware of other decat systems that are readily available unless you made your own. There was a twin pipe decat that was not meant to loose the toruqe but I think they may have been a peugeot sport item and are incredibly rare.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your response mate, im prob going to try and get a replacement cat fitted and not a decat as its a ballache trying to get under her to put a cat back on for the mot, i was just hoping for a name of a good after market part if anyones ised one? Thanks again though Eeyore
Thanks given by:
not yet seen a good aftermarket cat.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: GtiJimmy
As above, Not allot on the aftermarket suppliers are any good, you can tell that when you look at the scrap valve (pretty much nothing) compared to a original one, Finding a used one is not that difficult as they do last well
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks guys, i guess ill have to bite the bullet. Everything else ive repaired on the car is full price original parts, just not the dreaded expensive cat... Shes worth it... Just Smile
Thanks given by:
GtiJimmy i've got a good original cat somewhere if you're interested?
Had a sports cat on mine...seemed good but no idea what it cost new lol.

The £60 one from ECP will be rubbish.
Hey Roland, yes I am mate! What do you want for it?

Thanks Tom I suspect the same about ECP

Thanks Tom I suspect the same about ECP

Also Roland what year model is the cat from? Condition etc, thanks
Thanks given by:
or fit a decat and get a friendly mot tester.
Good shout Eeyore thats def something to think about
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2016, 11:50 AM)roland rat Wrote: GtiJimmy i've got a good original cat somewhere if you're interested?

Hey Roland yes I am interested mate thanks, think i replied on the wrong post. How much do you want for it fella? Also what year '6' did it come off? Condition etc. Thanks dude
Thanks given by:
I've got a Magnex and decat the 2.5 bore Sucks all the toque out of it maybe it's blowing more that usually as it ages to get through the rev range .
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2016, 08:17 PM)7057sam Wrote: I've got a Magnex and decat the 2.5 bore Sucks all the toque out of it maybe it's blowing more that usually as it ages to get through the rev range .

Yeah im not a fan of larger bore tbh, the standard noise is perfect for me and def dont want to reduce exhaust pressure etc.
Thanks given by:
ive got standard cat i dont need as well.
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2016, 09:19 PM)Eeyore Wrote: ive got  standard cat i dont need as well.

Ah interesting, whats the condition mate? And year and cost? When you say standard you do mean off original right? Smile
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2016, 09:30 PM)GtiJimmy Wrote:
(14-02-2016, 09:19 PM)Eeyore Wrote: ive got  standard cat i dont need as well.

Ah interesting, whats the condition mate? And year and cost? When you say standard you do mean off original right? Smile

Well i presume its original. Its off a 1998 rallye. I havent made my mind up what to do with it yet and i havent really had a look at it to know what condition its in.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, let me know if you do, also is the 98 rallye def compatible with standard exhaust,i know its the same engine just wondering if it needs any adapting, otherwise Roland Rat im interested!
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2016, 11:50 AM)roland rat Wrote: GtiJimmy i've got a good original cat somewhere if you're interested?

Hi mate, yep! Im interested if its an original off a gti6? How much do you want for it? Cheers
Thanks given by:
Try a sports cat, you can get a "universal" on ebay for £80 or so. Should be enough to get you through a mot and give you a bit less restriction in the pipe

It's not pressure you want, it's the speed of the gas flow.
From my understanding a decat looses low down torque from the increased gas speed making the exhaust system more suited to higher revving situations since the scavenging pulses move quicker while the increased manifold pressure from having a cat slows down the speed of the gas changing the characteristics of the system making it more suited for lower speeds aka lower end torque
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Oh right, im aware that free flowing is vital but im sure someone on here once told me that the gti6 exhaust Back box needs to have a certain level of pressure and heat going on to get the best drive- thats why when its blowing you can feel slightly less responsiveness? Anyway thanks for tip about sports- dont suppose you onow of an exact model that would fit straight on to my ph 3 6, and that passes mot Smile ? Not asking much I know. Just spoke to Peugeot and they said : £851 for part no labour!!! WT.... Serious pisstake, im leaning towards black wrap and clips!!
Thanks given by:
Exhausts are tricky, there's more to it than just pressure and restriction. Loosing the cat will no doubt drop the lower end torque making drive-ability a little worse but loosing the cat is different to having a blowing exhaust. If the exhaust is blowing around the cat area it could mess up the lambda sensor readings and cause you too over/under fuel which isn't ideal.
If it's blowing in the wrong places it could also mess with the scavenging resonance which once more will loose you power

The sports cats seem to be a bit harder to get through an MOT but if you mention it to the tester and they get it nice and hot before testing you should be fine. Plenty of people out there with them and passing

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info mate, in regards to sports cats vs standard after market cats, which do you reckon would be best for maintaining as much of the original performance- low end torque, etc? Or is it pretty much not joticeable... Tho saying that i teally do notice even the slightest loss of power as ive had her so long. I just want her to be as close to standard issue as poss
Thanks given by:
Whether you will notice it or not is down to you, if you want to notice it you will but honestly felt next to nothing when changing from stock manifold to 4-2-1 with sports cat. On the dyno it probably would have been visible so will help but day to day it seems more or less the same.
If you want it stock then just fit the standard aftermarket one

(16-02-2016, 12:52 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Whether you will notice it or not is down to you, if you want to notice it you will but honestly felt next to nothing when changing from stock manifold to 4-2-1 with sports cat. On the dyno it probably would have been visible so will help but day to day it seems more or less the same.
If you want it stock then just fit the standard aftermarket one

Cheers mate appreciate it
Thanks given by:
I'd go for a known-good 2nd hand genuine one.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Cheers dude, im about to order a 2nd one from a phase 2 rallye, but that'll fit right?
Thanks given by:
yup..
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Right ive done the coils and out her on a ramp to get at the cat which should arrive friday, after reading the guides etc it seems a very doable job, if too tough then ill dtive to a garage and fit it but ill give it a go first. Couple of things though if anyone could help me out?

With the lamda sensor removal from the old cat ready to put on the new one- will it damage the lamda wire if i twist the 22mm nut at the cat end? It seems it might twist it and poss damage if i dont disconnect from the heat shield end first- which seems the longer way about it. Is this true?

Whats the best exhaust fitting kit to use to fit the cat- is a dealerships own version the best or is an ECP one ok? Thanks
Thanks given by:
genuine pug/citroen kit is best.

unplug the lambda, no issues with twisting the wires then

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTI6 Radiator Buying Advice Eeyore 9 1,534 16-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Last Post: RetroPug
  gti6 rallye ac pump advice please thomson 2 1,346 18-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Last Post: thomson