Friends 1.4 cut out and not starting again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends 1.4 cut out and not starting again
My other half was messaging a friend of hers last night after she'd posted a Faceache status about having broken down, and long story short, it transpires it's a 1.4 306! The message she got is as follows:

Quote:It cut out as I was driving, although it makes a noise when I turn the key it won't start up & the electrics are going a bit weird. No lights work (including hazards), central locking won't work. When the keys aren't even in it three lights come on the dashboard, stop light, battery & oil light all flicker & it makes a clicking noise

I happened to be playing online with Midnightclub at the time, and he suggested trying the inertia switch under the bonnet, but does anyone else have any ideas what could be causing the issue? Obviously I've not been to see the car, this is all the info I've been given to work with thus far.

Thoughts?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Major earth issue id guess by lights being on with keys in..
Thanks given by:
Yep as said, earth sounds fcuked, my bet too.
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Fair play, if I was to go and have a look at it, where would I find the earth? I'm assuming it'll be somewhere in the engine bay. She's not overly keen on the idea of taking it to a garage, and Lou kindly mentioned to her that I've had my fair share of 306's, and am apparently pretty good at fixing them. Dodgy The money would be nice though. Wink lol
Thanks given by:
sounds like a flat battery to me? from the lights being on while no key, i'd suggest it's charging system related (bad diode packs in the ALT can flatten a battery Fast), charge the battery, reconnect it and see what kind of current draw it has whilst just sat, then try starting it imo
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
does the 1.4 have that round multi plug down the side of the radiator that causes problems with all this rain etc maybe is shorting out?
Thanks given by:
Not sure, the way I see it at the moment, if I do end up going to look at this with a view to potentially fixing it, these are all viable options that I can investigate if/when it comes to it. Nice one guys. Smile
Thanks given by: